Sony Debuts Uncharted 3 TV Ad

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Sony Debuts Uncharted 3 TV Ad

Sony is about to kick off a massive Uncharted 3 media blitz, and the first salvo comes in the form of a 30-second TV ad.

According to the official PlayStation blog, this ad is set to "officially" debut tonight during the Packers/Saints football game, but this being the internet, we don't take too kindly to words like "official," "schedule" or "2011 NFL Season Opener."

Thus, the company has deigned to offer up the commercial in handy embedded video form. It may be a cynical stab at catching the eyeballs of gamers who wouldn't otherwise tune in to watch millionaires collect concussions like Ash Ketchum nabs Pidgeottos, but either way, we've got an early look at what Sony claims is an ad "created 100% from in-game footage."

It should surprise no one that the game itself looks utterly gorgeous, or that the action set pieces rival major Hollywood efforts, but what I do find interesting is that nowhere in that footage do we get a good look at Nathan Drake sporting, what the French certainly do not call, "wet couture."

Granted, there's a moment where the protagonist is running through a flooding hallway, and presumably his clothing must be a bit moist at that point, but the ad completely fails to offer prospective fans a convincing, extended look at the game's wet fabric physics.

I don't know about you, but if this game doesn't include at least an hour of meticulously rendered soggy denim, I just can't take it seriously as a proper Uncharted sequel.

On a tangentially related note, we here at The Escapist are still holding out hope that the role of Nathan Drake in the upcoming Uncharted film adaptation will go to Nathan Fillion.

Despite his humble protests [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111896-Nathan-Fillion-Wants-You-to-Stop-Pestering-the-Uncharted-Director], Fillion just seems like a man who you could trust to properly fill a pair of damp khakis.

Source: PlayStation.blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/09/08/uncharted-3-tv-spot-first-look/#utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PSBlog+%28PlayStation.Blog%29]

Dec 14, 2009
Looks good.

I'm getting tired of the British villian stereotype though.

Especially since this is the third.Fucking.Time!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Looks good.

Well, at least you make REALLY, REALLY awesome villains. And it's not the THIRD time, really. The main villain of 2 wasn't a Brit, iirc.

Dec 14, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Looks good.

Well, at least you make REALLY, REALLY awesome villains. And it's not the THIRD time, really. The main villain of 2 wasn't a Brit, iirc.
Not the main villian, no, but he was still the guy you thought was a good guy, then stabs you in the back. What a wanker.

He was the guy who voiced Alastair in Dragon Age too, so I was like:

"Noooooo! Alastair! why'd you betray meeeeeeee!"

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
It really doesn't matter what I say because 1)I don't own a PS3, and 2)Yatzee is still gonna tear this game a new one. He didn't like the last two that much and he thinks that Drake is a Ponce.

EDIT: ok people I get it. I'm sorry but I really do watch his videos for his opinions on the games he reviews. It's not my fault that he's funny when he bashes games or praises them every now and then. Besides, I was just making an observation of what he would do when he reviews Uncharted 3. Uncharted 3 might be really fun but since I don't have a PS3 and never played 1 or 2, I can't say I'm really looking forward to this.

Dec 14, 2009
Shadow flame master said:
It really doesn't matter what I say because 1)I don't own a PS3, and 2)Yatzee is still gonna tear this game a new one. He didn't like the last two that much and he thinks that Drake is a Ponce.
What has Yahtzee got to do with anything?

Unless you base all of your game buying decision on the opinion of one guy.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah. The world totally bases it's gaming opinions on a guy who couldn't seriously review his way out of a paper bag.

And the Escapist doesn't really bow to his divine will, either. At least, once you leave the comments page for his videos.

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

No I don't but I try to listen to what he says about the games he reviews. I mean, I watched his XIII review and still bought XIII because I still thought that I would like it.

No doubt that I would still buy Uncharted 3(or any game)no matter what Yatzee says about it. I just listen to his opinions as a reviewer is all. Thanks for catching me on what I said though.

Dec 14, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

No I don't but I try to listen to what he says about the games he reviews. I mean, I watched his XIII review and still bought XIII because I still thought that I would like it.

No doubt that I would still buy Uncharted 3(or any game)no matter what Yatzee says about it. I just listen to his opinions as a reviewer is all. Thanks for catching me on what I said though.
That's fair enough, but after watching both his reviews on Uncharted, and playing both games, he's rather pedantic about the 'faults' in the game. He's a reviewer, but I don't really take him that seriously.

Dec 14, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Looks good.

I'm getting tired of the British villian sterotype though.

The Russian genocidal maniac was a villain?
There aren't enough hours in the day to point out all the sterotypes, so I'm defending home soil here ok :D

Dec 14, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Daystar Clarion said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Looks good.

There aren't enough hours in the day to point out all the sterotypes, so I'm defending home soil here ok :D
The dumb brit who doesn't understand pop culture is a stereotype now? "Villain" isn't a stereotype, its a role in the story. Try and name a well known British character who pulled the same shit in another book, movie or game.
'Dumb Brit'?

really?

And yes. The British playing villians is a stereotype. Die Hard: Alan Rickman. Die Hard 3: Jeremy Irons. Silence of the Lambs: Anthony Hopkins.

They may not necessarily play British characters, but British actors make damn fine villians.

Dec 14, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Daystar Clarion said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Daystar Clarion said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Looks good.

The dumb brit who doesn't understand pop culture is a stereotype now? "Villain" isn't a stereotype, its a role in the story. Try and name a well known British character who pulled the same shit in another book, movie or game.
'Dumb Brit'?

really?

And yes. The British playing villians is a stereotype. Die Hard: Alan Rickman. Die Hard 3: Jeremy Irons. Silence of the Lambs: Anthony Hopkins.

They may not necessarily play British characters, but British actors make damn fine villians.
Yes, but they were all playing a type of villain, which Flynn clearly wasn't. Once again, "villain" is not a stereotype. "Smart, cold, calculating and posh British Villain" is a stereotype. Flynn clearly isn't that kind of villain.
Putting semantic pedanticism aside...

Uncharted 1: British Villian
Uncharted 2: British and Russian villians
Uncharted 3: British Villian with cockney goons.

It would be nice, for a change, if Naughty Dog found a villian, a little closer to home.

Dec 14, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Daystar Clarion said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Daystar Clarion said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Daystar Clarion said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Looks good.

'Dumb Brit'?

really?

Yes, but they were all playing a type of villain, which Flynn clearly wasn't. Once again, "villain" is not a stereotype. "Smart, cold, calculating and posh British Villain" is a stereotype. Flynn clearly isn't that kind of villain.
Putting semantic pedanticism aside...

Uncharted 1: British Villian
Uncharted 2: British and Russian villians
Uncharted 3: British Villian with cockney goons.

It would be nice, for a change, if Naughty Dog found a villian, a little closer to home.
This isn't pedanticism. It isn't a stereotype to just make a nationality a villain - by that logic, every single nationality on earth (and every one off earth for that matter) cannot be a villain or they're a stereotype, as they've been featured in movies at one point in some fashion. Its a stereotype when they conform to a pattern of behaviour. Thats why its called a stereotype. "being british" is not a big enough pattern of behaviour.
Okay, fair enough, I agree with you there. But that still doesn't change the fact that Uncharted has, for the third time running, a British villain (stereotypical or no)