Last Guardian Not Coming to Tokyo Game Show

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Last Guardian Not Coming to Tokyo Game Show

Team Ico is getting really good at not telling us anything about The Last Guardian.

Team Ico's third project, The Last Guardian, is a confirmed no-show for the upcoming Tokyo Game Show, which takes place later this month. The Last Guardian is an action adventure/puzzle game in which a young boy teams up with a baby griffin called Trico to escape a ruined castle.

TGS will not be the first major videogame show that The Last Guardian has been conspicuously absent from - the game was not at this year's E3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110435-E3-Appearance-Seems-Unlikely-for-The-Last-Guardian] either. Sony admitted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112406-Sony-Admits-The-Last-Guardian-Taking-Longer-Than-Expected] last month that work on the game wasn't going as quickly as it hoped, and that while Team Ico was making progress, it wasn't the kind of progress you could really show to people very easily.

As you might have guessed, there's no firm release date for The Last Guardian. It was originally scheduled for the end of this year, but in April [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109412-Sony-Delays-Both-Last-Guardian-and-Ico-SotC-Collection] Sony pushed it back to 2012. Considering how compelling Team Ico's previous output has been, it's almost certainly going to be worth the wait. Of course, knowing that almost makes the waiting worse.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/09/08/ico-shadow-of-the-colossus-collection-hit-soon-see-final-box-art/]

Dec 14, 2009
I swear, Team Ico are the only guys I will let pull this shit.

Mostly because they have never disappointed me.

Godspeed Team Ico, godspeed.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
As you might have guessed, there's no firm release date for The Last Guardian. It was originally scheduled for the end of this year, but in April [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109412-Sony-Delays-Both-Last-Guardian-and-Ico-SotC-Collection] Sony pushed it back to 2012. Considering how compelling Team Ico's previous output has been, it's almost certainly going to be worth the wait. Of course, knowing that almost makes the waiting worse.
See, that's what worries me, if it's worth the wait. With the pedigree that Team ICO has, and how everyone expect it to be an emotional rollercoaster like its previous two games, I'm afraid that the hype will turn against it and people will go "Eh, not as deep as Shadow of the Collosus." or something.

Still, I am eagerly awaiting its release. Getting the collection as well.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I'm willing to wait, so, so willing.

I'l also be picking up the Collection probably at the start of next month, I loved Shadow of the Collosus, and I've never played Ico, So I'm excited :D

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Wait. Trico. Tri-Ico. As in, third game by Team Ico.

I just got that!

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I think we can manage to wait just a little longer. The game already looks freaking beautiful. Just a little longer won't make it any less so. I just hope the gameplay pans out.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Ive said this before, I dont mind waiting if it means theyre going to perfect and work out bugs for the release date. Id rather they did tit about for a while and achieve a more polished product than release some buggy beta like biblical piece of shit.

Deverfro

Aug 2, 2009
Not a real suprise, but still a disapointment. Still We still have the ICO collection to hold us over. Though I would love to see some sort of gameplay trailer as you can't really judge a game based on the more cinematic stuff Team Ico have shown us so far.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yet again, disappointing.

But at the same time I would hate seeing new footage, which would hype me up only to be annoyed by the fact that I still have to wait for it another year.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
Come on. This has been in development for how long now? Do they only have 4 people working there?

This is 2011 you have to pump these games out on time if you want to survive. I don't think constant delays are going to increase sales because of the 'anticipation' factor.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Oh my, Last Guardian not coming to TGS, how surprising... That's only like the 3rd year in a row they've cancelled its appearance there. I also love that their latest trailer came out like 2 years ago. Ico, you may be Ico, but this won't do for long.
Logan Westbrook said:
Considering how compelling Team Ico's previous output has been, it's almost certainly going to be worth the wait. Of course, knowing that almost makes the waiting worse.
Well put.
Deverfro said:
Not a real suprise, but still a disapointment. Still We still have the ICO collection to hold us over. Though I would love to see some sort of gameplay trailer as you can't really judge a game based on the more cinematic stuff Team Ico have shown us so far.
They've shown gameplay. The kid throws some barrels and jumps around. Exciting, right? Hey, it worked for Donkey Kong...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Oh of course it's NOT going to be there.

Hell I'd be happy with just a few new images, but oh well. I can wait though, I'm not really expecting anything from them until next year, so the waiting continues.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
For those saying it's been years since any trailer or gameplay, Team Ico was at TGS last year. They had a (short) trailer last year. It was then they put their first date at holiday 2011 and the collection at spring 2011. Of course neither of those dates are happening, but they did show up last year with SOMETHING. In that time, I think there has been a few interviews and tibits of production and gameplay footage shown here and there.

*returns to her corner to mope until she gets her Team Ico collection in*

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
I have no problem waiting for this game, because the previous 2 titles, while great; some of the greatest games I've played, I CAN FORGET ABOUT THEM. There are other verrrry good games to play in the long time it is taking for this experience to come to us. The challenge, at least for me, isn't waiting for this game, it's being fresh at the time that it comes out, especially fresh from comparisons to ICO or Shadow of the Colossus (granted, if it's a good experience overall).

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
Well, at least we have the collector's edition to look forward to. It's about time I played SOTC again.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Y'know, I'm starting to think that The Last Guardian might have just been some elaborate tech demo prank that will never come to fruition.