Modern Warfare 3 Proves Surprisingly Chatty

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Modern Warfare 3 Proves Surprisingly Chatty

The cast of Modern Warfare 3 apparently has a lot to say.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00503E8S2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_g63_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0YFW5QMFWQZXNS1TQ171&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846] will have more lines of dialogue than a 102 half-hour TV shows. That's according to Activision's Keith Arem, who says that the game has around 41,000 lines from dozens of different characters. "To give everyone a kind of perspective," Arem said, "if you look at an average television show, a half-hour series, that has about 400 lines of dialogue, and a full motion picture is going to have around 1,500 lines of dialogue."

He said that the lines piled up pretty quickly when you had upwards of 80 characters and soldiers on top of that, and MW3 was significantly more verbose than its predecessor, Black Ops, to the tune of around 10,000 lines. It took a whole year to record that much content he said, both in recording booths and motion capture studios.

While 41,000 is a very big - and admittedly impressive - number, when it comes to dialogue, quality trumps quantity hands down. There's going to be an awful lot of talking in Modern Warfare 3 and it will be interesting to find out how much of it is worth listening to.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 on November 8th.

Source: Digital Spy [http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a339668/modern-warfare-3-features-41000-lines-of-dialogue.html]

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
It's not very convincing for a publisher to speak on the developers behalf when talking about the game's development.

Still, this is Activision's way of marketing. Take it or leave it, I'm not buying into it.

FateOrFatality

Mar 27, 2010
"We're Oscar Mike!" x 41,000

If this was a series renowned for it's story, I'd be impressed. It is CoD though, so most of the dialogue will be utter shit.

Dec 14, 2009
FateOrFatality said:

If this were a series renowned for it's story, I'd be impressed. It is CoD though, so most of the dialogue will be utter shit.

You know it's gonna happen.

Also, "Tango down!" x 9001

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
FateOrFatality said:

If this were a series renowned for it's story, I'd be impressed. It is CoD though, so most of the dialogue will be utter shit.

Yeah, such unoriginal, uninteresting and shitty dialogue.[/sarcasm]

Also, weren't MW1 and MW2 praised for having interestingly executed story?

OT: I was always amused by the radio chatter the characters throw at each other occasionally, and the originality of some quotes during the game, so these news are kinda good to hear.

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
FateOrFatality said:
That made me lol

Well it means one of two things. One that the story is getting longer. Not better or anything just longer or it could mean that everyone shouts out random catch phrases after every kill.

FateOrFatality

Mar 27, 2010
GameMaNiAC said:
FateOrFatality said:

Yeah, such unoriginal and shitty dialogue. Bad quotes too. [/sarcasm]

OT: I was always amused by the radio chatter the characters throw at each other occasionally, and the originality of some quotes during the game, so these news are kinda good to hear.
So there was a couple of lines of good dialogue at the end, that doesn't dispute my point. I said most of the dialogue will be shit, and most of it will - just like most of the dialogue since CoD4 has been. I'll admit that there has been some well written and interesting parts, but the vast majority sucked.

And CoD4 was praised for an original story. I don't know who you've been listening to, but I've never heard anyone accuse MW2 of having a good story.

Haxxle

Jan 14, 2011
Oh, I pray to God, that they say more than just 'Tango Down' or 'Tango spotted' or 'This Tango has gone kinda flat'. Please let there be more character to them like 'Oh Fuck! I've been hit. Medic!' you know, abit how Bad Company did it.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
doggie015 said:
Yeah, the story is one of the reasons they got so popular. Most people picked it up for the MP but many people including myself picked it up for the SP story alone. And considering MW3 will have dedicated servers I may actually have incentive to use the MP this time!
I agree. I've played a little bit of multiplayer, it was solid. But the singleplayer campaign and Spec Ops is where MW shines.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
FateOrFatality said:
And CoD4 was praised for an original story. I don't know who you've been listening to, but I've never heard anyone accuse MW2 of having a good story.
The story of MW2 was pretty okay. But the way it was executed makes it awesome. The scene where you're running unarmed through the Favela rooftoops as awesome music [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=E8SU_b-QX_w#t=74s] is kicking in. Or how about the scene where you're speeding down the snowmobile and the screen keeps getting more and more blurry and the music keeps going louder and louder [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsP463Eh9_I] until you finally make the jump... and it freezes. (Though the YouTube video is quite of bad quality, but you can get the feel of the song) It's moments like this where CoD truly shines, and the music makes it all even more epic.

As I've said, it's not about the story, it's about how well-executed it is.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
Can't wait to hear mysterious military jargon like "Roger that. We are dingaling on the pulled porkchop and hambone."

JimbobDa3rd

Sep 21, 2008
doggie015 said:
FateOrFatality said:
GameMaNiAC said:
FateOrFatality said:

Yeah, such unoriginal and shitty dialogue. Bad quotes too. [/sarcasm]

...I've never heard anyone accuse MW2 of having a good story.
http://www.1up.com/reviews/call-duty-modern-warfare-2_2 "Right from the outset, MW2 fixes one of the issues some people had with the original game's story -- instead of setting the action in a fictional Middle Eastern country, the game opens up at a firebase in war torn Afghanistan...Two years ago Infinity Ward took a gamble by transplanting their successful Call of Duty series from the romanticized era of WW2 to the distressingly familiar landscapes of today's conflicts. That gamble paid off in a big way, and since then, the original MW has been one of the most-played online console shooters. Mixing real-world locations with bombastic set-pieces MW2 continues the guided, thrill-ride experiences of its predecessor"

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/104/1043744p1.html "First and foremost is the single-player experience. As the anchor of the Call of Duty world, campaign mode is back, and it's intense...thrown into the bustling streets of Rio de Janeiro's favela, the ice-capped mountains of Russia, the dusty roads of Afghanistan, and other unexpected locales...the effects of many returning weapons being re-recorded,even more in-level chatter amongst your allies, and a truly captivating score by Hans Zimmer which builds based on specific in-game moments. Modern Warfare 2 feels like an action movie through and through, with the production values alone dating Infinity Ward's last game, Call of Duty 4, quite a bit."

I think I said enough there...

Neither of those quotes is about story? They are both about atmosphere and setting (and in the second one the experiance of playing) but not story. Dont get me wrong I love MW2, but not because of its story, because of its (all be it cliche) gameplay, atmosphere and how it mannages to pull you into the gameplay, but it never for me mannaged to pull me into the story as a whole. I hope they improve that in the new game, though saying how many characters there will be isnt getting my hopes up because it sounds like itll be a bit disjointed.

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
FateOrFatality said:
I don't know who you've been listening to, but I've never heard anyone accuse MW2 of having a good story.
It wasn't inherently bad, just a bit disjointed and hard to keep track of. Do you have any specific complaints you'd like to make?