New Genetically Modified Cats Are Cute, Cuddly And Fluorescent

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
New Genetically Modified Cats Are Cute, Cuddly And Fluorescent

A US researcher has produced three genetically modified cats which, unlike regular cats, happen to glow green when exposed to certain frequencies of light.

The cats, which are adorable in my entirely scientific opinion, were created using a virus that carried genetic information into the eggs from which the minute glowing fluffballs sprang. The gene, called green fluorescent protein or GFP, originated in Jellyfish and is frequently used as a genetic marker to "tag" different proteins, making them glow under fluorescence microscopy. Glowing cats, along with a whole range of different fluorescent animals, have been produced before via traditional cloning techniques, but this marks the first time gamete-targeted transgenesis has been used on a carnivore.

So, what use is there for a (kind of) glow-in-the-dark cat, save the possibility of it being the first step in developing a breed that won't trip you up on your way to the bathroom in the middle of the night? According to Helen Sang and Bruce Whitelaw of the Roslin institute at the University of Edinburgh, which science-savvy readers might recognize as the birthplace of the now-deceased Dolly the sheep [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_%28sheep%29], the research paper suggests that the new technology be used to develop GM cats for purpose of studying feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV).

"Cats are susceptible to feline immunodeficiency virus, a close relative of HIV, the cause of AIDS," said the professors, but they did point out that the uses of genetically modified cats as models for human diseases are "likely to be limited and only justified if other models - for example in more commonly used laboratory animals, like mice and rats - are not suitable."

While it may be upsetting to think of these cats being used in medical experiments because "aww just look at its little face, look at it," Dr Robin Lovell-Badge, head of developmental genetics at the Medical Research Council's national institute for medical research, pointed out that cats are one of the very few animal species susceptible to viruses like FIV, and that "understanding how to confer resistance is ... of equal importance to cat health and human health."

Regardless of the scientific implications, I can certainly see a market for fluorescent cats, particularly in the now aging raver demographic.

Source: The Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/sep/11/genetically-modified-glowing-cats]

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I liked the point about not tripping over your cat in the middle of the night, that always happens to me :)

Not sure I would want a cat that glows green though, it's kind of strange. They are still cute though!

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
The same thing has been done with rabbits over 10 years ago. By some french artist and a bunch of scientists, Il see if I can find the article.

Edit: The guy was called Eduardo Kac and the rabbits name is Alba. Heres a link to the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alba_(rabbit)

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Ahhh GFP. The one undeniable proof that scientists get to occasionally throw up their hands, yell "screw this", and do some science just for kicks.

I've lost count of how many things glow now.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I suspect glowing cats will be the new pet to have.

Also, I noticed a typo.

"Cats are susceptible to feline immunodeficiency virus, a close relative of HIV, the cause of Aids,"
I don't know if it was paraphrased directly from the source, but AIDS is an acronym and should be capitalized.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Catalyst6 said:
Ahhh GFP. The one undeniable proof that scientists get to occasionally throw up their hands, yell "screw this", and do some science just for kicks.

I've lost count of how many things glow now.
Yes, but this is just the step of ridicolus and awesome.

*Lays down money.*
TAKE MY MONEY SCIENCE, THIS IS PURE WIN!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
And in the same shot, there's the mum, thinking 'shit, I've given birth to a glow stick, I'll take the parent, she looks in need of a hug.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
It only glows in the dark? Aww, Where is my eye laser cat Science? Huh?! WHERE IS IT!?

OT: Well, Awww isn't that cute. I want one...

MartianWarMachine

Neon-pink cyber-kitty
Dec 10, 2010
...Glow-in-the-dark cats? I sell my soul for a glow-in-the-dark cat!

Also the stuff about it helping some kind of AIDS research is probably good to, but d'aaaaawwwwwwwwww, wook at der widduw faces~~~ ^-^

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guess this should save some cat lives when driving during night time. Now we will see some Lolcats image of glow in the dark kittens in the future.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Glow in the dark kitty. Its a good thing its not a black cat, if a black cat were glowing it would be burned at the stake.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Torrasque said:
Cats can get HIV? Awww, thats really sad =(
Off-topic: Does it come in red? o_o
You misunderstand, the cats get an virus equivalent of HIV. Just like fish and a lot of other animals.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Wait how is this a new thing? I remember reading back a few years ago in my biology text that they did the same thing with cats except they glowed orange.

Dec 27, 2010
Okay, trying to find a cure to HIV, even if it were just the feline equivalent, is a noble cause, but why did they need to make glowing kittens? It's like science is just trying to please the hordes of the internet, so they can get back to doing the same old boring sh*t.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
In b4 playing god?

Pretty interesting though. The eerie glow accentuates the malevolence that pours out from their soulless eyes.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Incoming meme in 3... 2...

Now all we need is a cat that doubles as a battery when hooked up to a pc and the internet will genuinely be