Run For Your Life with Zombie App

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Run For Your Life with Zombie App

If simple fitness won't get you to run, maybe a ravenous horde of zombies will.

Running has become such a quotidian activity that most people forget why humans can do it in the first place: to get the hell away from predators. London-based developer Perplex City [http://www.sixtostart.com/]) aims to create a fully interactive alternate-reality adventure game, where runners can ensure the survival of a human colony in an apocalyptic wasteland - but only if they get up off the couch and run for their lives.

The game mechanics sound pretty simple: all the player has to do is run. "You receive orders and hear the story told through radio messages and voice recordings between your own custom playlists," the game's Kickstarter page explains. "Missions last around 20-30 minutes in real time and there'll be over 30 unique missions in Season 1." As players run, they advance a seasonal story and pick up supplies that they can ration out when they return home. In-between missions (runs), players will discover puzzles, documents, websites, and other story tidbits to help them piece together a larger narrative.

If this sounds like a good idea to you, then it's up to you to help Six to Start get the necessary funds together. Their Kickstarter page explains that they will fund the game out-of-pocket, but player contributions can help make the game better, from better testing to famous voice actors. Considering that one of their offers is $20 worth of Season 1 content for a $10 donation, this could be a chance for would-be runners and marathon veterans alike to save some scratch. After all, a little extra money could come in handy during a zombie uprising.

As any runner can tell you, good fitness is its own reward. That said, there's nothing wrong with spicing up a run with an unobtrusive game, and it could be just the thing to get new runners out of the house and onto the streets. If nothing else, it will be good preparation for the inevitable real zombie apocalypse.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sixtostart/zombies-run-a-running-game-and-audio-adventure-for?ref=category]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is not the first app I have seen like this.... I had one on my original droid....

4nthr4x

Jun 5, 2010
but player contributions can help make the game better, from better testing to famous voice actors.
I'd run gladly through any real life zombie apocalypse when Morgan Freeman is the narrator ^^

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
In order to get immersed in games I prefer to play them at night. I wonder how it would work with this game.

BTW: Does it use quick time events?

Feb 13, 2008
That's...genius.

Don't they understand this could be as big as "Brain Training"?

You could even swap the Zombies with Terrorists and market it to the Politicians.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
That's...genius.

Don't they understand this could be as big as "Brain Training"?

You could even swap the Zombies with Terrorists and market it to the Politicians.
Thats... genius... o_o
Totally going to be getting this, since 2012 is when my Z-day training starts.
Hopefully they get some good voice actors :D
Now where did I put that wallet...

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Doom972 said:
Does it use quick time events?
How would that even work?

You're running along, the phone/game has a GPS map of the street (moving in real time, of course) and as you pass along the end of an alleyway, it screams "LOOK OUT!" at you and you have to dodge to the side to avoid an imaginary zombie lurching out at you?

I dunno, something like that done for too long might make the player paranoid... let alone playing it in the dark!

OT: I wish I could use this. My asthma won't let me run longer than a minute :(
Also, I don't have an iPhone.. so that kinda sucks...

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Byere said:
Yeah, they should have a version of it for the PC and home consoles. This way you'll get much more exercise since they weigh more than the iPhone.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Good idea in theory, but in practice I usually listen to podcasts (The Escapist? podcast!) when I'm exercising and it makes me stop when I miss part of it, and stopping is never really a good thing to do when exercising.

Still, shut up and take my money.

Doom972 said:
Byere said:
Yeah, they should have a version of it for the PC and home consoles. This way you'll get much more exercise since they weigh more than the iPhone.
I think he meant an Android version, which in the kickstarter page they mention, but I like your snarky response nonetheless.

Mirror Cage

Dec 6, 2010
They should make some different difficulties for the less athletic among us. Maybe "Shambler"(walking speed), "Thriller" (jog, y'know, cause they can't dance that fast), and "Runner" (take a guess).

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
This very game has been out on Android for over a year.

Edit: My bad, I was wrong. However, there is a game called 'Zombie, run!' on Android, and it has indeed been out for a long time now, so these guys really are taking the mick with the name, not to mention the fact that they've ripped the concept straight from it and only added 'missions' and a story. The basic premise is identical though.

CJSinc

May 1, 2011
Mako SOLDIER said:
Edit: My bad, I was wrong. However, there is a game called 'Zombie, run!' on Android, and it has indeed been out for a long time now, so these guys really are taking the mick with the name, not to mention the fact that they've ripped the concept straight from it and only added 'missions' and a story. The basic premise is identical though.
It is possible that they came up with the idea and didnt just rip it, I myself make games, program them myself and quite often your idea is already done and on the rare occasion done really well, its not always a blatant rip but just a coincidence :/

CJSinc

May 1, 2011
Blueruler182 said:
Well, if anything's likely to make me run, I guess it's zombies.
Or your legs xP

But seriously, this is a great idea, when i get home im going to donate $50 :D

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I'm just going to be the Devil's advocate here and say that I can't get it unless it's available for Android.

adrianhon

Aug 7, 2009
Hi guys - one of the developers here. Our game is very different from the Android one you mentioned, which not only doesn't have missions, but it doesn't have any story or base management strategy, plus it requires people to be watching their screen all the time - hardly safe if you run at any speed.

We've also decided to *definitely* develop an Android app, for release a little while after the iPhone version. We'd always been planning to do this but we weren't sure about the demand or timing. Clearly we were wrong and there is a ton of demand, so we're making it!

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
This sounds amazing. I might actually exercise!
As long as it's on a format I have (which it appears it does!) and it's not super expensive then I might give it a go.

I wonder if screaming whilst running is also considering exercise or whether its undue noise disturbance...