This Portal 2 Weighted Companion Cube Really Rocks

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
This Portal 2 Weighted Companion Cube Really Rocks

This Portal 2 Weighted Companion Cube subwoofer mod is the cuddliest, move lovable DIY audio component mod you're going to see all day, and maybe even all week.

techPowerUp! [http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151343] forums user "Cube" is a self-professed "electrical noobie" but he's still managed to put together the best-looking subwoofer I've ever laid eyes on. I have no idea what it actually sounds like but given how stupidly amazing it looks, does it really matter? Because this thing looks hot - and so adorable!

Cube is a carpenter by trade so putting together the sub box was probably a relatively simple task for him, but things got a little hairier when it came time to actually wire it all up. 24 LED strips went into it, not to mention the lighted ring composed of 504 LEDs and 170 resistors. Add to that an amplifier, volume control, a "wiring nightmare" and some "dodgie Ratman art" to set the mood and what you end up with is possibly the most irresistible low-frequency speaker ever made.

I wish I had this kind of talent, or at the very least that I had the money to hire someone with this kind of talent to build stuff like this for me. Since neither of those options are in the cards, I guess I'll have to settle for watching YouTube videos and sighing enviously.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
That is awesome.

Loved watching the process of it being made. And it looked great lit up.

I'd take it with me everywhere I go.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
That looks just great. I'd never incinerate that one, even if someone offered me cake.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Area and state regulations do not allow the Weighted Companion Cube to remain at your house at this point. Please put it in the attached Aperture Science Companion Cube Mailing Box and send it off to be taken care off.

*writes own address on the box* Shhhh!

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
can't wait till year 10 wood work
since im head of the class and am already finished and have already done the next years project my teacher ses that I can make whatever I want next year
just one year till i can have a cube of my very own course that'll be the prototype

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Subwoofers: Giving nerds an excuse to have Companion Cubes as a permanent part of their living room arrangement.