Star Trek: TNG Getting Incredible Makeover for Blu-Ray

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Star Trek: TNG Getting Incredible Makeover for Blu-Ray

The Enterprise's chief engineer approves of the Blu-Ray version of the Next Generation. This would seem to be a good sign.

When Star Trek: The Next Generation finally makes it onto Blu-Ray, it won't look quite the same as you remember it, as CBS is replacing all the special effects with new and improved versions as part of the conversion process,

This isn't CBS mucking around with the show George Lucas-style though, it's something it has to do to make the show HD. While the raw footage is ready to go for a high definition upgrade, the version that made it to our screens is not. All the special effects were done on standard definition video, so for the Blu-Ray version, they all have to be redone, from the lowliest phaser blast to the grandest space battle. Earlier this month, LeVar Burton - who played Lieutenant Commander Geordi La Forge on the show - saw some of the upgraded footage and said that his mind was blown by it, so it sounds like things are coming along nicely.

As you might imagine, replacing all the special effects in a sci-fi show is a pretty daunting task, and apparently, CBS isn't doing the whole show at once. Sources say that CBS plans to release a four-episode teaser first, which includes both parts of "Encounter at Farpoint," from season one, "Sins of the Father" from season three, and "The Inner Light" from season five. Presumably, if the teaser proves popular, CBS will start work on the rest of the series. The teaser is supposedly coming out around Christmas.

Source: Dvice [http://dvice.com/archives/2011/09/star-trek-tng-g.php]

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Ouch ... this is going to hurt the wallet a bit I think. But its nessisary.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
HAH! i knew it
ive been waiting for this for ages. i refused to buy trek for years because i knew they'd release a hd version and p me off with it.

now they can fix all the weapons systems continuity issues, ect. superb.

ghall89

Oct 22, 2008
If this is anything like whay they did with the Original Series I'm really looking forward to this. Though I will admit I think the effects in the later episodes still hold up today.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Ghengis John said:
I only need to know one thing. How will this effect the Star Trek TNG edits?

What did I just watch, and why do I have the sudden compulsion to visit the nearest art gallery followed by a trip to pony land?

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Damn it, somehow I have to get my hands on a blue-ray player now. So... 5 years from now? *sings the "I'm poor" song to the playing of tiny violins*

Feb 13, 2008
Possibly the worst part of the Lucas legacy. Whenever I even see "reboot" or "reimagining" or "makeover", I start involuntary spasming of the post-writing muscles.

Please let this be the good version.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I don't have a blu-ray player, I kind of want one now.

The episode selection is weird though. The Inner Light is certainly one of the best Star Tre episodes ever produced, but it seems like an odd choice to show off new special effects. I'm surprised they didn't do an Encounter at Fairpoint & The Best of Both Worlds bundle. Or perhaps have Sins of the Father and Redemption - there's a lot of Star Ship act in the latterl, and SotF again seems like an odd choice to show off HD special effects.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Possibly the worst part of the Lucas legacy. Whenever I even see "reboot" or "reimagining" or "makeover", I start involuntary spasming of the post-writing muscles.

Please let this be the good version.
Theres nothing wrong with tarting something up with new technology, and most people don't have the hopeless case of revisionism George Lucas has. Should be awesome.

Liam Barrett

Jul 6, 2011
*sigh* I've only recently managed to complete my TNG DVD collection, so this is a slightly annoying, if not unexpected, development. Sure, I knew the BR edition would be out eventually, I just didn't expect it to have updated effects. And to be honest, I can't really afford to splash out on a BR player and the teaser disc just to see if it's worth the upgrade. I hope this pans out for those interested in it, but this is gonna be a low priority for me for a couple of years at least.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
They did a good job on the Original Series ones (if it was them who redid it). Personally don't car much for TNG but it does look very dated so would like to see it improved.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Wake me up when they get around to doing this for DS9. Still has the best massive space battles in all of Star Trek.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
The new effects worked out well with The Origional Series, and if TNG can at least match that, then this will only be a good thing.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
This I really, really, want. George Lucas really destroyed the concept of "polishing up" old movies. In theory, it's great, but we all know how it went. But making TNG with todays effects? Hell yeah!