28 Minutes, 500 Points, One Rescued Princess

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
28 Minutes, 500 Points, One Rescued Princess

Who could have guessed that playing Super Mario World as if your plumber was allergic to coins could be so intensely mesmerizing?

Much like the piece I penned back in July on a low-score run in the original Super Mario Bros. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111600-600-Points-No-Deaths-One-Rescued-Princess] -- note the blatant headline self-plagiarism -- the goal of this run through the Super Nintendo's Super Mario World is to specifically earn as few points as possible.

This means avoiding coins, killing no koopas, and timing each mad dash through the goal line so that it yields the least points possible.

GameSetWatch is a bit more verbose on the topic:

Be warned: a low-score Super Mario World run turns a once-pleasant platformer into a near-impossible obstacle course. Score-boosting coins, apples, and items are now hated enemies. Minor foes, which are otherwise easily killed, must be dodged instead of stomped.

The end-of-level goalposts are perhaps the greatest enemy of all. Players must exit each level with exactly one second left on the timer to earn the lowest bonus possible, but there's a catch; if the goalpost ribbon isn't touched at the level's end, it'll turn into a coin, worth 100 points. Players must also use careful timing to catch the ribbon at its lowest point to earn only one bonus star.

The end result is a trek through a familiar landscape that suddenly includes far more obstacles. It's like coming home from your first year of college, stepping into your room and finding that all your posters have been replaced with laser-activated Claymore mines.

You shout down the stairs, "Mom, are you trying to kill me?" The only response you get is a strained cackling from the foyer. Determined, you imagine this low-score run, take heart in Mario's success and dive toward your bed, tucking your body into a tight ball, and flipping end over end purely for aesthetic flair.

Unfortunately, you've gotten a bit chubby over the past semester, and an errant fat roll triggers the central detonator. You don't even hear the arming tone before your body is blown into a fine red mist and splattered across the adjacent drywall.

At this point you're likely wondering where I'm going with this metaphor, huh?

So am I.

Source: GameSetWatch [http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/09/dont_attempt_this_low-scoring_.php]

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
lmao - that metaphor at the end was one of the greatest things I've read on here.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Earnest, you've got a really weird imagination.
But in all seriousness, this looks tricky. Very tricky.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
I half expect my mum to actually do that. Alas, she wouldn't know a carbine from her elbow so I'm safe.

For now...

I love these minimalist Mario runs.

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
You are now officially my favourite News room contributor and I won't lie its mainly to do with that claymore metaphor.

Zinaxos

Feb 9, 2009
I've done minimalist runs like this before. Avoid all coins and enemies... But my runs NEVER ended on 1 second left. That's just madness.
The people who did this are amazing. Props to them.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
How did he time beating the mini-bosses to the point that he could beat them with 1 second left? Just how is that even possible? Was this done with a computer or was it an actual person?

Also, I will never be so good at a game that I could do anything close to that. Sorry to inform you of that.

I think the metaphor was for the spring of youth and the summer of discontent. Or you're just insane. Or your mother has some real issues. Take your pick.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
This is impressive. The bosses were what got to me. That takes way too much time and skill to do that I don't have. Wish I could read the notes he was giving at the top though.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
Ha what a good idea, low score runs always seem counterintuitive but is actually a good way to mix up the gameplay.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
I love how the ending theme turns into a different tune when he speeds it up! (26:42 and onwards.) I've heard that theme hundreds of times, but I never thought THAT could happen!