Xbox LIVE Is Hitching A Ride With Windows 8 to Your PC

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Xbox LIVE Is Hitching A Ride With Windows 8 to Your PC

Amid a sea of apps and flip-flopping user interfaces, Windows 8 got itself a very intriguing selling point.

In trying to retain what people liked about the wildly popular Windows 7 and attempting to compete with Apple's control of the mobile market, Microsoft has created a hybrid OS, creatively titled "Windows 8." With a click or touch, it can swap between a heavily Windows 7-styled desktop mode and a mobile and tablet mode called "Metro", which seems to be closely related to Windows Phone 7.

And if this strange split-personality wasn't enough, well, Microsoft went ahead and chucked a bit of Xbox in there for good measure, giving the new OS a built-in connection to Xbox LIVE. According to Microsoft spokesblogger Larry Herb's (aka Major Nelson) blog [http://majornelson.com/2011/09/13/xbox-live-and-windows-8/], adding LIVE functionality to the desktop and mobile side of Windows "brings your games, music, movies, and TV shows to your favorite Microsoft and Windows devices." One can't help but wonder if the introduction of Xbox LIVE to a desktop OS spells the death of Games for Windows LIVE, as it would provide essentially the same service. Perhaps if we're lucky, it will also lead to an increase in PC games that feature achievements and gamer score.

In addition, Windows 8 will come with a built-in "Windows Store" (which, I am sure, is nothing like the App Store), where you will be able to browse, test, and purchase Apps for Metro. Microsoft will approve all third party apps, but says that it will keep the approval turnaround as short as 24 hours.

No word on when the new OS might be out, but if past releases are anything to go by you should feel comfortable marking your calendar for this time next year.

Source: Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_live_confirmed_for_windows_8.html]

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I like it. I wonder if it will support cross-platform PC/360 gameplay?

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
I sure as hell hope Xbox Live doesn't become the staple for PC's, I already pay for internet, i don't want to pay to use that internet.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
sooooooo?

what would you get out of xbox live? certain games life from XBLA? (but not the exclusives? which would make owning an xbox redundant)

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Since i already have an xbox live account i might finally change my windows XP.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
These all seems like good reasons for me to stick with 7. God I hope there aren't more PC games with achievements, not unless I can disable them.

kurokenshi

Sep 2, 2009
"PC games that feature achievements and gamer score" I believe this statement right here is what is currently fueling the deep hatred I have for consoles!

EDIT: Shouldn't the only achievement you worry about be finishing the game?

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Have they explained yet why they didn't use the same service for both in the first place?

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Heh, doesn't bother OR excite me.
I just hope they take Games For Windows Live and cram it up a random executive's arse. I'd prefer Xbox Live integration over stupid GFWL.

Oh, and I hope Windows 8 cock-slaps MacOS in the face, I'm tired of hearing so many people say "yeah it's better, doesn't slow down and doesn't get viruses"... (no problems with Macs here, it's just that it's annoying when people believe the PR marketing stuff)

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Windows 8 looks like such absolute garbage. Seeing it makes me want to punch a baby in the face. Maybe more than one baby. I'm not quite sure yet, although I'm sure as soon as I have some hands on time with it, I'll be wanting to punch at least a dozen babies. In fact, I think I'm going to start rating things by the number of babies it makes me want to punch. Thanks a lot, Microsoft. The safety of babies everywhere are now at risk, thanks to you.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Wait, isn't Major Nelsons last name spelled "Hryb"?

Er, useless corrections, I know...

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
TimeLord said:
I like it. I wonder if it will support cross-platform PC/360 gameplay?
MS had that idea a long long time ago, then they held a PC vs Xbox competition to see how it would mesh together and found PC players butchered all console gamers, and the idea was dropped.

OT: Can't see the point of a built in system... are they just gearing up to another monopoly lawsuit.
The whole browser shenanigans cost them billions and still they haven't learned.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Scott Bullock said:
<In addition, Windows 8 will come with a built-in "Windows Store" (which, I am sure, is nothing like the App Store), where you will be able to browse, test, and purchase Apps for Metro. Microsoft will approve all third party apps, but says that it will keep the approval turnaround as short as 24 hours.
Is no one else concerned that they might be trying to muscle out other digital distribution groups? I'm worried that they're going to make gaming a pain, as they did with GFWL.

elexis

just another guy
Mar 17, 2009
Were putting Xbox right into windows 8!

Translated - Now there is no way to escape XBL/GFWL, even if none of your games ues (suffer from) it.

How is this a selling point?