European/PAL Release of Catherine Further Delayed

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005

The quirky puzzle game would have come out in Europe this year, but it's now delayed until 2012.

Catherine is a weird little bugger, but the game was mostly well-received by both the game sold very well given its niche [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/busyhands/9065-Catherines-Complex-View-of-Commitment]. Unfortunately, that public is limited to the Japanese and North American markets because there was no deal in place for PAL regions which include the U.K., most of Europe, Southeast Asia and Australia. Publisher Deep Silver announced earlier that it would publish Catherine in those regions this year, but that date has been pushed back at least until 2012 at the earliest.

"We are very proud to be able to publish Catherine in all PAL territories as a Deep Silver game", said Deep Silver CEO back when the deal with Atlus was announced in July. "Catherine is something new, fresh and exciting; unlike anything else in the gaming world - a unique mixture of genres. This agreement proves once again that games published under the Deep Silver label are not 'more of the same', 'run of the mill' productions."

All of that sounds great, but it makes me wonder what the hold up is in getting the game into stores in the Europe. I imagine that the pressing of discs with PAL encoding doesn't take that long. Is there some strange market pressures to release the game later?

I've reached out to Atlus for clarification and I'll let you know if I hear anything.

In the meantime, check out Susan Arendt's review of Catherine [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9036-Catherine-Review].

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/catherine-delayed-to-2012/]

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Oh well, it's compatible with European Xboxes so no big deal.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
It's always possible they're having some certification issues with certain regional authorities. The game is rather unique and firmly deserving of its "Mature" rating.

Though, given that it's primarily sexual in nature, I'd be a bit surprised if Europe so much as raised an eyebrow let alone a fuss.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
somehow getting the feeling that the eu version is going to be canned and this is going to turn into another American/Japan exclusive game.

just a feeling, its not...

MORE THAN A FEELING DO DO DOD DODOD

ehm excuse me for breaking into a very rubish rendition of that song.

RobotNinja

Aug 2, 2009
That sucks for Europeans, its a pretty fun game. Well that news makes me appreciate Atlus USA a bit more.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Maybe they know that it'll just get buried in the Christmas release rush if they dumped it there. A shame, but understandable.

Least I have something to look forward to next year!

Besides The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises; obviously.

Vuirneen

Nov 16, 2009
Ah that sucks. I kept searching for info about the release date and was finally happy when I found an update on Wikipedia. I thought it was odd that there was no demo on Euro-playstore, but figured that I'd probably buy the game anyway. Now it's' shunted into 2012.

I suppose it gives me more time to finish the Persona games, but it still sucks.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I would say this is almost entirely because of the mountain of huge releases coming along. I mean, it's already not exactly best-seller material, and to release it during Skyrim and MW3 and Battlefield 3 and Saints Row 3 and Arkham City and Skyward Sword and you get the idea would just be a really bad move.

Project_Omega

Sep 7, 2009
Greg Tito said:

The quirky puzzle game would have come out in Europe this year, but it's now delayed until 2012.

Catherine is a weird little bugger, but the game was mostly well-received by both the game sold very well given its niche [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/busyhands/9065-Catherines-Complex-View-of-Commitment]. Unfortunately, that public is limited to the Japanese and North American markets because there was no deal in place for PAL regions which include the U.K., most of Europe, Southeast Asia and Australia. Publisher Deep Silver announced earlier that it would publish Catherine in those regions this year, but that date has been pushed back at least until 2012 at the earliest.

Is there any other point to that game other than boobs?

I mean, I like bewbs, but where are the explosions other than in my pants?

"We are very proud to be able to publish Catherine in all PAL territories as a Deep Silver game", said Deep Silver CEO back when the deal with Atlus was announced in July. "Catherine is something new, fresh and exciting; unlike anything else in the gaming world - a unique mixture of genres. This agreement proves once again that games published under the Deep Silver label are not 'more of the same', 'run of the mill' productions."

All of that sounds great, but it makes me wonder what the hold up is in getting the game into stores in the Europe. I imagine that the pressing of discs with PAL encoding doesn't take that long. Is there some strange market pressures to release the game later?

I've reached out to Atlus for clarification and I'll let you know if I hear anything.

In the meantime, check out Susan Arendt's review of Catherine [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9036-Catherine-Review].

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/catherine-delayed-to-2012/]

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
It's actually a pretty smart move, it avoids all the big name releases and it gives time for good localisation, by which I mostly mean good voice actors and translation.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Nooooooooooooo- wait. You said Skyrim right?

What? Catherine?

Never heard of it.
... That rock you've been living under; is it comfortable?