Hard Reset Launch Trailer: Vending Machines of the Future

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hard Reset Launch Trailer: Vending Machines of the Future

Even in the high-tech future of Hard Reset, vending machines still suck.

You ever beat up a vending machine because it swallowed your buck-fifty and then didn't cough up that delicious bag of Doritos you'd been longing for all day? Now imagine how it would feel if, instead of the afternoon munchies, you were being plagued by a rampaging horde of machines bent on the destruction of humanity, and rather than a nacho cheese-flavored pick-me-up, what you really, really needed to get through the day was a high-powered energy weapon. That's how it goes for Major James Fletcher, CLN operative, protector of humanity and annoyed consumer.

The Hard Reset launch trailer shows off just a portion of the arsenal available to players, which comes in two flavors, projectile and energy weapons. It's a fairly conventional mix of weaponry - machine gun, shotgun, rocket launcher, plasma rifle, rail gun and so forth - with a few unusual pieces thrown in for good measure, but in the highly explosive city of Bezoar, even the most basic weapons can do an awful lot of damage.

The Major's song-and-dance routine with the vending machine is actually a reasonably accurate rendition of the in-game weapon purchasing system: find a vending machine, stick in your quarters, pick your implement of death. I've never really understood how the need to maintain profit margins holds up in the face of the looming extermination of humanity, but I suspect it's one of those things you're not supposed to put a whole lot of thought into.

Hard Reset, the debut shooter from Flying Wild Hog, is available now on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/98400/].

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The demo of this game is soo damn fun, if it wasnt for the fact I had to spend too much money on books then I would have already bought it. I really like how creative the weapons are and how well they work together, I hope Yahtzee reviews this game, it seems like the sort of thing he would enjoy.... well, aside from the apparently nonsensical story.

HavoK 09

Apr 1, 2010
Nami nom noms said:
He looks like the most annoying main character... ever.
Hope from Final Fantasy XIII disagrees, 1st he was an annoying emo then he became a super annoying optimistic bastard.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
The man is in a hurry and the vending machine takes time for a god damn history lesson... the future is horrid, now I understand why Gordon doesn't put the crowbar away.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
It's far from true that the weapon upgrade stations are this much of a nuisance. They're actually highly efficient and have a really kickass interface.

I can't argue with them wanting to put some emphasis on the weapons. They are awesome. I love the shotgun, I love the laser-guided RPG and I love the smartgun. With all these guns, enemies don't fall over when you kill them, they are obliterated.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
This game is pretty sweet. Painkiller with a Cyberpunk twist.

My only complaint is that swapping weapons takes a bit too long... but maybe I just suck.

I'm stuck on the Giant Robot Boss though... not quite sure how to beat him... :/

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Luckily, in the future, the vending machines themselves make pretty good weapons when you apply some Newtonian principles to them.