Treasure Plans Guardian Heroes Sequel

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Treasure Plans Guardian Heroes Sequel

It seems the new Xbox Live high-def remake of Guardian Heroes is just a warm-up for Guardian Heroes 2.

Backstory: Guardian Heroes was a brilliant, expansive 2D beat 'em up/RPG released for the Sega Saturn in 1996. Since it was on the doomed Saturn console, very few people actually got a chance to play it, but it developed a devoted cult following, and it was recently revealed that an HD remake would be hitting the Xbox Live Arcade on October 12 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112854-Guardian-Heroes-Finally-Dated-For-Xbox-Live].

That's all great news for those gamers (like myself) who adore anything created by Treasure, but apparently this HD remake is more than a simple Xbox Arcade gem. Eurogamer reports:

Treasure is planning a sequel to its classic scrolling action game Guardian Heroes, with the fate of a second full-blown game in the series dependent on the success of the forthcoming remake of the Saturn original.

"Originally, the project started as Guardian Heroes 2," Treasure's Hiroto Matsuura told Eurogamer, "The team that had been working on Sin & Punishment [last year's Wii sequel], after that project they wanted to start a new game."

"The project started as Guardian Heroes 2, but the publisher - that's SEGA - said in order to create a sequel, they wanted us to revitalize the IP. So instead of starting on the sequel we made a remake."

The sequel, Matsuura maintains, would be very similar to the original. "The original core game mechanics is a 2D, layer-based game, and that's what we like about it. We may create characters and backgrounds in 3D, but the core mechanics will be the same," he said.

Though Matsuura seems a bit too polite to say it directly, it would appear that the existence of Guardian Heroes 2 is directly dependent on the sales of the XBLA Guardian Heroes remake.

So there you go. You all have to buy six copies of the game. If you don't, I won't get my long-waited Guardian Heroes sequel, and you'll all die alone and unloved.

What? I don't make the rules, that's just how things work.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-15-guardian-heroes-2-planned-article]

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
I would prefer a sequel to Gunstar Heroes, (which is also a Treasure game) but this is cool.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Of course, if they released the HD remake for PSN, I'd be totally down for financially supporting it's successor...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
This...this is the best news.. I've heard in a long time.

This is the best news I've heard since Skyrim's announcement, honestly.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Yeah had an interest in this till my 7th 360 died on me and they refused to fix it. I guess I'll just have to stick with the saturn version. You know the console that's lived since 1996 and never required fixing :p

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Hmm... personally I'd prefer a PSN release. The control pad is much more accurate than the 360's as some of you might have experienced in fighting games.