Deus Ex Gets Augmented with Star Wars Advertisements

Brian Albert

Aug 5, 2011
Deus Ex Gets Augmented with Star Wars Advertisements

If the bewildering amount of recent Star Wars advertising, hype, and skepticism has you annoyed, you'd best not boot up Deus Ex.

A recent patch for Deus Ex: Human Revolution inserts advertisements for the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102793-Star-Wars-Hitting-Blu-ray-With-Unseen-Content>"updated" Star Wars blu-ray collection into the game.

The game's loading screens, which are both frequent and long, have been shamelessly updated with a glaring banner for Lucas' latest alteration (to be diplomatic) to some of the greatest science-fiction films ever.

The ads aren't even cleverly disguised into billboards or those crazy, futuristic screens that call you by name. They just sit there, standing out against the black and gold background.

I don't have a problem with in-game advertising as long as it makes sense. In fact, I expect it in sports games and racers. But this?

I never asked for this.

Dec 14, 2009
Damn, that's subtle isn't it?

I always like the way things were advertised in the Wipeout games. Ads work if they're used properly withing the context of the game.

Methinks having a Blu-Ray release of Star Wars advertised in Deus Ex (you know, the future), is really out of place.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Like you said, I actually enjoy some in game ads. It adds a bit to the world. Gives it a little more depth. It works even better if they work the ad into the art style of the game.

But just sitting there in the loading screen? That's crap.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
Deus Ex: HR just dropped another step on my "wanting to buy" scale. For fuck sakes.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
No one asked for this, or the horrible changes made to classic movies.

I stand by my belief that George Lucas made a deal with the devil for a hit movie and the cost was that he would go exponentially insane as time passed.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010

But, seriously?
Don't care.
Playing it on Xbox360 - don't have XBL because I'm lazy/cheap/don't care.
Update won't affect me.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
The game is now staying on my shelf. Star wars can edit: go away at this point. We've all seen it, literally everyone has seen it. If someone hasn't its because they looked at the premise and decided it wasn't for them.

There is absolutely no need for more star wars.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
If it's simply during the loading screen and doesn't make it last longer than it should in anyway, I could care less. You can't exactly break immersion more with a loading screen, so if I was to have the ad anywhere that would be where it'd go.

I really don't see the point in all the bitching about this.

Pm0n3y

An emaciated shadow
Jul 29, 2009
Oh hey, I saw those same ads on the Subway level in the new Mortal Kombat game. Along with the other background ads on that level, it worked there.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Modding time.

Assuming that somebody has put together some tools... ..which at present is unlikely. Uhg.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"which are both frequent and long"

I wouldn't say 10 seconds once or twice a mission is either of those.

Its not like loading screens are the most immersive point in a game anyway so I don't think this will bother me.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
After finishing the game last night, I have to wonder, where this "loading screens are all over the place and take ages!!" thing is coming from.

Is it a console problem?

As for seeing ads on loading screens, it could sure ruin your experience if you're very into the game and suddenly you see an ad for Subway

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
What? Whaaaaaaaat? Lame... my favorite game, being marred by something like that. So stupid :/

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
aaaaah it's times liek this I enjoy not using xbob live (Not getting the kinect patch till portal 2 installed it offline ftw!)

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I don't have a problem with in-game advertising as long as it makes sense. In fact, I expect it in sports games and racers.
Here's the problem, you give them an inch and they take a mile or ten. Advertisers don't restrain themselves. They will insert ads anywhere they can. Don't even give them an inch, you paid for the game and you shouldn't be advertised to.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Jesus Phish said:
After finishing the game last night, I have to wonder, where this "loading screens are all over the place and take ages!!" thing is coming from.

Is it a console problem?
I must echo this sentiment/question. My computer's a 7-year-old piece of shit and I have to turn all the graphics to the bare minimum to get it to only hiccup occasionally and I have no complaints about loading times or frequency. Especially when doing sidequests in city areas, I can go almost an hour without a single loading screen. If anything, I'm glad the game has so few.

OT: It depends on how blatant the advertising is. The car ad in Alan Wake made me facepalm whereas the Iron Man 2 movie posters in Splinter Cell: Conviction didn't bother me at all. Movie posters are pretty common and the game is set in the present, so it worked fine as set dressing. Perhaps the fact that the ad is for the new Star Wars version that's already pissed a lot of people off is making it worse?