BioWare Offers The Old Republic Beta Testers Another Chance to Play

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BioWare Offers The Old Republic Beta Testers Another Chance to Play

The studio calls the problems with the first Old Republic beta test a unique, one-off event.

BioWare is giving all the beta testers for the first Star Wars: The Old Republic test weekend another chance to play the game. BioWare says that problems with invites and authentications had prevented many from getting adequate time with the game, and it wanted to rectify that.

Writing on the BioWare forums [http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=489789], Stephen Reid said that although the studio had previous stated that people would only get invited to beta test weekends once, the situation was unique enough to warrant special measures. He said that BioWare was not changing its "one invite" policy on the beta test weekends, and that the second chance it was offering was a one-off. He asked for anyone who hadn't been invited to be patient, and said that BioWare planned to invite a lot of people before it was finished with testing.

Reid also made it clear that it was not scheduling the replacement event for this weekend. He said that the latest build of the game was currently being tested internally, and that BioWare wasn't going to show it to the public until it was good and ready.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/09/15/bioware-re-inviting-group-one-testers-for-beta-weekends/]

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Heh, I signed up for that beta a LOOOOOO~OOOOOONg time ago. I wonder if they remember? More likely not.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
So, I'll get an invite, soon? Please? I'd love to try it out.

JaredXE said:
Sooooo, when is release date?

I needs my Star Crack, needs it now!
November seems like a safe bet. That's what I'm thinking anyway.

Jeralt2100

Jun 9, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Wait... is the thing saying that the invite you get for the beta test weekends is only good for THAT weekend, or are they just saying you should only be getting one invite? The latter seems kind of pointless to state, while the former is rather... well plainly put fucking stupid.
What they actually do is send you an email asking you to RSVP with them for testing on the specific weekend. If you do, they sign you up, if not you go back into the pool for another chance to be chosen.

As for the rest, they have 1.5 million beta applications, I was actually a tester during the weekend this article referenced and the number tossed around during testing by the other players was 10,000 folks. Not positive that's accurate, but given that most of the major hubs only had 3-5 instances/shards/copies/whatever running at a time that's probably a reasonable guess.

I also got the email informing me I'd be getting another invite based on some of the problems they had with the RSVPs and the very slow client download. Rather thoughtful of them, and my time with the game has absolutely cemented my decision to pick it up day 1.

SilentChaos87

Apr 15, 2009
Well, its nice to know Bioware is being frank about how they felt the messed it all up for the first weekend and are giving the first round picks a second chance. I hope they keep up this quality of player base support post-launch. I'm not terribly worried about it though. I get a vibe from Bioware like they're treating this game like you would a newborn baby in terms of attendance and care. I mean this thing has been in development longer than Mass Effect 2 and 3 combined near as I can tell (Though with luck it'll be out before Mass Effect 3).

Seeing Bioware does stuff like this has a good feeling of assurance to it.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Why would you want to?

No seriously have you people been paying ATTENTION to this thing? it SUCKS! I'm not overreacting here, this is as bad as FF XIV. This is not just a 'Bad for Bioware' thing, no no no this is BAD. I am saying that this is a game where it could be free to play and I still wouldn't pick this up.

Oh by the way. Sith characters get to kill Revan and steal his pants. I'm not even joking here. You may be expecting the PROTAGONIST of KOTOR and the main driving force in KOTOR2 to be a big boss to fight, some epic raid? Nope, 4 man mission, loot his pants.

I gotta tell you Bioware, first there was DA II and now there's this piece of failure at this point I fear for Mass Effect 3, and lord knows unless Dragon Age III is praised as a gift of the gaming gods I aint touching it with a ten foot pole.

Oh and before any dumbass super fans intend to reply with a smart 'See you at launch' I don't play Pay-To-Play games. So even if this game had been everything you wanted, I wouldn't have played it.

But hey I can already predict how this goes, I'm insulted and called a hater (yeah that's why yesterday was all spent up playing Mass Effect and KOTOR, because I hate Bioware) or a kid or any other derogatory term people can come up with. Whatever, enjoy the game... or don't, which is more likely to happen unless you seem to be lacking in more WOW MMO combat

NKRevan

Apr 13, 2011
SpaceMedarotterX said:
Why would you want to?

No seriously have you people been paying ATTENTION to this thing? it SUCKS! I'm not overreacting here, this is as bad as FF XIV. This is not just a 'Bad for Bioware' thing, no no no this is BAD. I am saying that this is a game where it could be free to play and I still wouldn't pick this up.

Oh by the way. Sith characters get to kill Revan and steal his pants. I'm not even joking here. You may be expecting the PROTAGONIST of KOTOR and the main driving force in KOTOR2 to be a big boss to fight, some epic raid? Nope, 4 man mission, loot his pants.

I gotta tell you Bioware, first there was DA II and now there's this piece of failure at this point I fear for Mass Effect 3, and lord knows unless Dragon Age III is praised as a gift of the gaming gods I aint touching it with a ten foot pole.

Oh and before any dumbass super fans intend to reply with a smart 'See you at launch' I don't play Pay-To-Play games. So even if this game had been everything you wanted, I wouldn't have played it.

But hey I can already predict how this goes, I'm insulted and called a hater (yeah that's why yesterday was all spent up playing Mass Effect and KOTOR, because I hate Bioware) or a kid or any other derogatory term people can come up with. Whatever, enjoy the game... or don't, which is more likely to happen unless you seem to be lacking in more WOW MMO combat
Or, I could simply point out that not every game is for everyone and politely request that you respect other people's opinion about the game as a whole.

Some people happen to like where the game is going. Doesn't mean you have to like it. :) There's enough games for everyone.

No need to get all worked up about it. I happen to not like Skyrim, mostly because of my general mistrust of Bethesda after Oblivion. I'm sure the game will still do extremely well and even if it turns out to be everything I fear, will still be awesome for others.

It's all in the eye of the beholder m8! :D