Adorable British Poppet Unearths Rare Fossil

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Adorable British Poppet Unearths Rare Fossil

5-year-old Emily Baldry discovered a rare, 160-million-year-old fossil during a recent day at the beach. What have you done lately?

Baldry, one of the UK's legion of adorable tow-head ragamuffins, found herself digging through the sand of Gloucestershire's Cotswold Water Park recently when she stumbled upon an immense, fossilized Rieneckia odysseus. If your familiarity with Latin naming schemes is a bit rusty, imagine a giant nautilus shell covered in spikes, like some kind of death metal cephalopod.

Baldry, being as generous as she is precocious, opted to turn the giant, formerly living rock over to geologist Neville Hollingworth. According to Hollingworth, this find is "the first ammonite of this kind to be discovered whole in Britain. The rest have all been fragments."

I would just like to take a moment to point out that Baldry did all this with a four-foot-long sand shovel. A children's toy. The kind you likely used as a kid to build sand castles and fling globs of wet mud at your siblings.

Not to disparage Baldry's mud-flinging abilities, but this young lady used that same equipment to discover the remains of a creature that hasn't been seen on Earth since dinosaurs were flinging mud at their siblings.

Endless congratulations to Young Emily, but one wonders how Dr. Hollingworth and his colleagues are taking this. Sure, he puts on a brave face in front of the cameras, and is quick with a kind word for the wee lass, but you have to imagine that this is just killing every adult who has dedicated his or her professional life to the science of paleontology.

How do you top a 5-year-old who stumbled upon the most complete ammonite fossil in the history of the UK? Until John Hammond builds that park of his, Emily Baldry is the new queen of dino bones.

Source: Daily Mail [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036505/Emily-Baldry-5-digs-rare-160m-year-old-fossil-Cotswold-Water-Park.html]

LJJ1991

May 6, 2011
That Hollingworth guy owes Little Miss Baldry an Omanyte. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Omanyte_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Earnest Cavalli said:
How do you top a 5-year-old who stumbled upon the most complete ammonite fossil in the history of the UK? Until John Hammond builds that park of his, Emily Baldry is the new queen of dino bones.
Further shaming Dr. Hollingworth, Emily will grow up to build that park.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Congarts to the little kid on her epic find! Also - Death Metal Cephalopod. Someone start a band, or underground clothing label (or whatever) with that name.

Either that, or Chinese Vampire Squid....

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Awesome, props to the kid!
Earnest Cavalli said:
Death metal Cephalopod
Good name for a rock band.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AGoodNameForARockBand

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Damn that's a lucky find, I've fossil hunted before and I've seen good ones but that's something special. Those spines are unusual, guess they normally aren't preserved. Cute kid too.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Ah that reminds me of the countless times I would go digging in the back yard hoping to find a T-rex. Never found anything more interesting than a couple of arrow heads and a shoebox containing the bones of somebody's dog. I think they'd have been hard pressed to pry that fossil away from me at that girl's age.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Thats pretty impressive really, its unusual to find these kinds of things in the sands of britain.

Come to Southport and dig on the beach, all you'll find is car parts, used needles and the occasional dead manc.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
That's no fair. Every time I went to the beach (from the time I was five until... now) I dug a hole you could stand in. (That's because I love the beach, but am afraid of the ocean- so it gives me something to do.) And in all that time, I never found so much as a sponge... teh kid gets mad l00tz

Anyway, that's really cool. If anyone needs me, I'm heading to the beach.

cplsharp

Jul 20, 2010
wooty said:
Thats pretty impressive really, its unusual to find these kinds of things in the sands of britain.

Come to Southport and dig on the beach, all you'll find is car parts, used needles and the occasional dead manc.

i like this haha, so true though. although i can't say much i live in chorley, best known for teenage pregnancy and shit night life (y)

back on topic though, thats an awesome fossil, sucks to be the proffessor right now lol

cplsharp

Jul 20, 2010
wooty said:

i like this haha, so true though. although i can't say much i live in chorley, best known for teenage pregnancy and shit night life (y)

back on topic though, thats an awesome fossil, sucks to be the proffessor right now lol

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
It's a good thing God only made the Earth 6 million years old..... So this story can't be true..

..whew..

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
It is actually pretty common for major fossil finds to be found by people other than paleontologists. Landscapers and construction crews are some of the biggest contributors of new entries in the fossil record.

Same goes for Archaeology.