Rumor: Scarecrow Won't Be Terrorizing Arkham City

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Scarecrow Won't Be Terrorizing Arkham City

Gotham's scariest villain might not be back to tap into out nightmares in Arkham City [http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-City-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0F5M8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316436878&sr=8-1].

The sections in Arkham Asylum where Batman got a face full of the Scarecrow's fear gas and had to navigate the more troubled parts of his own mind were some of the game's most memorable set pieces. Unfortunately for Scarecrow fans, it doesn't look like those sections are going to be making a return in the sequel.

Speaking to Game On [http://www.facebook.com/gameontv?sk=info], Rocksteady's Paul Crocker said that the studio didn't really want to repeat itself for Arkham City. "In Batman: Arkham Asylum we had the whole Scarecrow thing," he said, "and we didn't want to do that again. We wanted something different." Crocker didn't specify whether he meant that Scarecrow wouldn't be appearing in Arkham City at all, or if we just wouldn't be jumping through his spooky hoops in-game.

There's every chance that Scarecrow could pop up somewhere in the game; if you were making a list of who deserved a spot in Arkham City - both the prison and the game - Scarecrow would probably be somewhere near the top of the list. There's a lot you can do with a villain who can make people experience their deepest fears that don't include forced stealth sections, so he could still appear without Rocksteady having to repeat itself.

We'll get to find out exactly how much Scarecrow Batman: Arkham City contains when it comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on October 18th.

Source: via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-no-scarecrow-scenes-in-batman-arkham-city-211728.phtml]

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
I guess that's fair. It would be kind of weak if they did the same thing again. Hopefully, he does something equally awesome though.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
I'm fine with this. The Scarecrow pieces were my favourite moments of Arkham Asylum but in Arkham City I have Jigsaw Riddler to amuse myself with.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Hell, i'd like it if it got into a section where batman had to walk through a narrow corridor and had to relive his parents getting shot, it'd be different at least.

That would shit anyone up a fair bit. And yes, that's a phrase where i'm from :D

Edit: Or hell, a first person sequence designed to mess with the player. I should stop hoping so much, i'm gonna let myself down when I play it

Jeralt2100

Jun 9, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
Ser Imp said:
Well Considering that...
Killer Croc ATE
... in the last game, I'm not surprised.
But I wouldn't mind facing him again, just need to remember to carry some matches in that utility belt.
He didn't get eaten, he was alive at the end of the game. He grabbed the crate.
That was only 1 of 3 possible endings for the first game. Could've been Bane or Croc too

OT: I'm alright with taking a different route on Scarecrow this time around, there are so many villains confirmed for the game now that there's no doubt my only minor complaint from the first one has been squashed. Repeating the fight against the brute guy so many times got tedious, especially the end boss-fight. This looks to have a very diverse array of boss fights, and that makes things pretty much perfect in my eyes.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
He didn't get eaten, he was alive at the end of the game. He grabbed the crate.
That actually differs according to what difficulty you play at (I think) it's either Bane, Scarecrow, or Killer Croc.

EDIT: GOD DAMN NINJA!

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Kind of dissapointing but not at all hard to understand
At least They're trying to make a different game, rather than churning out the same one again and again like some developers i could mention

rohansoldier

Sep 5, 2011
Nice to see they aren't re-treading familiar ground but the scarecrow sections of the game were still awesome. Maybe some new ideas if they did decide to use him rather than just the massive scarecrow spinning around?

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I'll gladly take overblown, Jigsaw-style Riddler traps over more nightmare sections. Sure the Scarecrow sections were fun in Arkham Asylum but the Riddler challenges in Arkham City look much more interesting, as well as much more challenging

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I'm quite fine with this. The Scarecrow sequences in Arkham Asylum were excellent, and part of what made them so enjoyable was the novelty; doing the same thing again (even if you put a new spin on it) would undoubtedly have less impact, if any.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
If Scarecrow's keeping to the shadows this time, I think that'd be a sensible move on his part. Nothing scary about "Hey everyone, I'm spewing fear gas, are you scared yet?" The nightmare bits were trippy, but not "scary," I think. Having wierd, creepy shit happen with no apparent cause, however, might get to some people. "Is this a new villian? Is is that curse on the city "Amedeus Arkham" and the cop who consoled young bruce spoke of in the first game? Is it the result of that AWOL Titan container? Or is it our old friend trying something new?"

Of course, as it was said, nothing is really scary when you're Batman. I think the confused, terrified henchmen in Gotham that get picked off one by one might agree. Still, Scarecrow's gas on Titan. Fun times ahead, possibly.

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
Let's see,

Arkham Asylum: Joker, Harley, Bane, Croc, Ivy, Scarecrow, Zsasz.

Arkham City: Joker, Harley, Bane, Hugo Strange, Two-Face, Penguin, Mr. Freeze, Solomon Grundy, Black Mask (look carefully, it's definitely him) Deadshot.

As much of a Scarecrow fan as I am, I think I can live with the losses.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
frankly, as-long as it's half as good as the first one I'm 100% a-ok with it.
plus cat-woman! <3
it's purrfect.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
dogstile said:
Hell, i'd like it if it got into a section where batman had to walk through a narrow corridor and had to relive his parents getting shot, it'd be different at least.

That would shit anyone up a fair bit. And yes, that's a phrase where i'm from :D

Edit: Or hell, a first person sequence designed to mess with the player. I should stop hoping so much, i'm gonna let myself down when I play it
They already had that scene in Arkham Asylum, it was very brief but still there.

OT: I like the idea that they're not pulling out all the best bits and copy/pasting them into it's sequel. Yes I'm looking at you long list of games.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
He was awesome in Batman AA, and i hope he is in AC. But, then there is that risk that if they do similar levels with him then it will disappoint. I guess they shouldnt have him unless they do something different. But his levels in AA were awesome.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
I wonder if we will get to see the Area Bruce lost his parents.

That said I wonder if they have something to replace him. I get we have new ridder stuff but that a replace ment for the scavenger hunt from last time. Scare crows not the only one who messes with your mind. Mad Hatter uses hypnosis, Heck Hugo is a master of telling you what you don't want to hear.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I hope he's in there just without the dream sequences, I rather he mess with the player like in Eternal Darkness or Metal Gear Solid