Making Lightsabers Look Good in The Old Republic

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Making Lightsabers Look Good in The Old Republic

Animators and designers from BioWare explain how lightsabers sizzle.

A significant problem in allowing players to wield lightsabers in an MMO is the animation lag that can occur. When a player presses a key, the avatar of the Jedi onscreen needs to move correspondingly. Any perceived discrepancy will immediately ruin the illusion. The effect is easier to achieve with simple hits and strikes like you might see in WoW, but with the the elegant parries and iconic swordplay of the Star Wars franchise, the challenge for designers increases. Luckily, Mark How the Lead Animator at BioWare on The Old Republic has been iterating the combination of animation, sound design and visual effects for a long time.

"Making the Lightsaber come to life in The Old Republic requires a collection of all the correct elements falling into place at the same time," Mark How said in a developer's diary on ToR. "A key aspect we learned early in development was that players do not enjoy having character control taken away from them because of an action or animation. Similarly, we realized that any action a player takes in the game needs to be visually represented in a way that is consistent with the player's expectations.

"It was particularly challenging to develop animations that allowed for visually appealing combat while still allowing the players complete control over their characters," he said.

How did they achieve the desired effect of Luke Skywalker battling the Stormtroopers and eventually Darth Vader in Cloud City? "The programmers and animators were able to create a Lightsaber clashing system that could predict the volleys of weapons fire and other attacks being thrown at the player from all directions, and have the player dynamically react to 'block' these attacks."

According to How, players controlling Jedis in ToR will actually be able to the lightsaber to bounce blaster shots back at enemies. "Not only that, but we were able to keep this system active while players were deflecting directed attacks, engaged in melee combat or even running. Players may not even realize all the factors that are coming into play to visually represent the combat experience," he said.

"Even in a battle scene with multiple players and multiple targets, each Lightsaber wielder can be seen attacking opponents with varied tactics while deflecting, parrying or dodging the attacks of the other enemies."

I've been watching the development of The Old Republic with a morbid interest. BioWare's demonstration of ToR gameplay a few years ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112701-LucasFilms-Confirms-adding-NOOOOOO-to-Return-of-the-Jedi]. Still, these lightsaber fights sounds like a technical achievement that needs to be experienced before I pass ultimate judgment on the game.

Source: The Old Republic [http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110916]

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
As a heads up, I'm not sure what video is being linked, but it appears to not be working (at least for me).

On topic, it is interesting that we'll finally see an MMO with actual swordplay rather than just precut animation.

Carboncrown

Oct 17, 2009
Well, for me the video is working but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be the beginning of the eternty vault.

As for the game, now that the nergasms over the cinematics have subsided, - while cautiously optimistic - I'm just not feeling it.

...might be Skyrims fault.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Every time I see gameplay videos of ToR I can't help but think that it is just WoW with lightsabers, which in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing. But what is supposed to be the grab here? If people are already playing wow why would they want to leave their characters which they have spent days, weeks, months or even years on, just to play a similar game where they have to invest even more time?

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
"Even in a battle scene with multiple players and multiple targets, each Lightsaber wielder can be seen attacking opponents with varied tactics while deflecting, parrying or dodging the attacks of the other enemies."
Maybe that's the wrong video but it doesn't show anything close to that. Players are getting pelted with heavy blaster fire while they just stand there taking swings at their target. And it's not like they can make it look picture perfect in a PC game, like say Jedi Knight 2 which came out at least 10 years ago.

I'm not really the target audience regardless, but I'm not really buying the 'World of StarWarsCraft' angle they're going with here. You know what would sell me on a Star Wars MMO? Large scale space battles. Not just the on-rail shooter sections, but in the original trilogy the big space battles such as the tench run or the battle of Yavin were as much a part of the series as Jedi's & lightsabers were.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well they put a little more effort into animation then the rest of MMO's but at the end of it the whole things looks no different then any random WoW raid.

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
It also looks very similar to Kotor2, which wasn't exactly graphically brilliant when it came out...

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
It's just a small nitpick, but it should be TOR, not ToR. Since the O in TOR is the word 'Old,' there's no reason to make it lower-case like the 'of' in World of Warcraft.

Rednog said:
Every time I see gameplay videos of ToR I can't help but think that it is just WoW with lightsabers, which in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing. But what is supposed to be the grab here? If people are already playing wow why would they want to leave their characters which they have spent days, weeks, months or even years on, just to play a similar game where they have to invest even more time?
I think there's two answers to this. First, I wouldn't overestimate people's investment in their WoW characters. Eventually, a game loses its hold on players and they want something new. By this logic, no one would have ever left Everquest. WoW has become unappealing to a lot of players and even those that still play may not be entirely satisfied.

Second, not all of TOR's players will be coming from WoW. There are plenty of BioWare RPG and Star Wars fans that may not have tried MMOs and would find what they want in TOR. Just like WoW brought in gamers who hadn't tried MMOs, TOR will likely do the same, though not necessarily to the same explosive degree.

And I guess a third answer would be that TOR is a different game, despite some superficial and mechanical similarities. For me personally, I'm looking forward to trying out the new classes and seeing how the new story-focused parts are handled. Most have said the story really enhances the general questing experience, even the "kill 10 rats" types of quests.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Rednog said:
Since people have never played an RPG and then played a new RPG later. Never, ever, ever. Nothing more awesome than playing a game forever and never playing anything else no matter what. That's how you do things on planet Earth you make your choice and stick with it till you die.

On a serious note WoW has been Haemorraging players for a long time. They come back for the expansion plus new players then they ditch again (I think they are in the middle of another fall off in playr base right now). You're heavily over-estimating the hardcoreness of the average WoW player because you think the guy in South Park is the average WoW player.

Mr.K. said:
Well they put a little more effort into animation then the rest of MMO's but at the end of it the whole things looks no different then any random WoW raid.
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure WoW isn't in space. Did they add blasters at some point? And a competent story structure?

RandV80 said:
I'm not really the target audience regardless, but I'm not really buying the 'World of StarWarsCraft' angle they're going with here. You know what would sell me on a Star Wars MMO? Large scale space battles. Not just the on-rail shooter sections, but in the original trilogy the big space battles such as the tench run or the battle of Yavin were as much a part of the series as Jedi's & lightsabers were.
Nothing says immersive character driven story like the ass end of a space ship.

But seriously, why are people acting like nothing will ever be added to the game? Today in an incomplete build it's an on the rails mini-game. Who says next year you won't have your epic Death star trench runs and such? Hopefully not since they have too many death stars, and death star substitutes, in the Lore as it is.