1980s Beauty And The Beast Receiving 2012 Reboot

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
1980s Beauty And The Beast Receiving 2012 Reboot

The good news is that the cult TV show Beauty and the Beast is getting a reboot. The bad news is that it's going to be on The CW.

Once upon a time, long long ago (the 1980s), in a faraway kingdom (Hollywood), a wise man (a TV executive with a rare good idea) managed to create a magical television show called <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Beast-Complete-Ron-Perlman/dp/B001AZIRZO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1316500109&sr=8-9>Beauty and the Beast. The show was strange and fantastical, and it starred Linda Hamilton (Sarah Connor) and Ron Perlman (Hellboy), so you know it was great. Now, however, we apparently live in a cursed time, because it turns out <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_cw>The CW is going to ruin everyone's positive memories of the show by rebooting it.

So far, the network has been pretty quiet about exact details regarding this remake of the series that originally ran from 1987 to 1990, though it has been revealed that "the new version will not only modernize and CW-up the love story but also add a procedural twist."

That said, Jennifer Levin (of Without a Trace) and Sherri Cooper (of Brothers & Sisters fame) will write the pilot script and serve as the series's executive producers.

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty skittish when it comes to shows on the CW, since the network seems to be marketing shows purely to Gossip Girls and Twilight fans these days. Hopefully, Levin and Cooper will produce a worthwhile series that's got some appeal for fans of the original series, but odds are that it'll probably turn out to be <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105384-MTV-Rebooting-Teen-Wolf-With-TV-Series>something closer to that Teen Wolf remake.

Source: TVLine

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
I might have to check that out. I never caught the original, but what little I heard of it struck me as interesting. I just hope it will be done well.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
They better get someone in Ron Perlman's and Linda Hamilton's class to play the main characters or I'll get angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. (TROLLNYSTAN SMASH!)

Ron Perlman made that show awesome, and dayum he was sexy as Vincent. *girlish sigh*

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
LittleMikey said:
What does "On the CW" mean? That's not a term i've heard before.
The CW is a channel here in North America that largely caters to teens. I'll add a link to the article

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Not to rain on anyone's parade and/or nostalgia, but I always was rather of the impression that the original Beauty and the Beast was pretty much targetting the equivalent of the Gossip Girls and Twilight fans of its time.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Oh great now I'm gonna feel really old when I explain what that "new" series is based on
It ran when you said? 90's? pshhh where you born in the stoneage?

And if I remember it right the episodes I saw where aimed at least to some extent to that twilight/gossip girl bunch not really a "macho" guy action loving bunch

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Whoah, I just read about the original show literally three hours ago:
http://www.cracked.com/article_15290_the-13-most-ridiculous-tv-shows-to-ever-get-green-lit.html
Now ain't that a co-inky-dink?

Feb 13, 2008
The CW? Wassat?

Ah: hidden linky. Danke.

Neverhoodian said:
Whoah, I just read about the original show literally three hours ago:
http://www.cracked.com/article_15290_the-13-most-ridiculous-tv-shows-to-ever-get-green-lit.html
Now ain't that a co-inky-dink?
Hey, that article is bull. Most of those were cool, and there were a LOT worse.

MOG, Manimal, Spymaster...

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Jesus, what is next? Hart to Hart? Remington fucking Steele? It's going to be Scarecrow and Mrs King isn't it?

I remember Ron Perlman being good, and I remember Linda Hamilton not being given much to work with.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Hey, that article is bull. Most of those were cool, and there were a LOT worse.

MOG, Manimal, Spymaster...
Fucking Manimal man, I swear there was a scene were he turned himself into a cow when he was caught sneaking into a bad guy's office, and the guards just sort of stood there perplexed. If I just dreamed that scene, then my unconscious is a better scriptwriter than anyone who worked on that show.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
They're making an entire show about Beauty and the Beast and your concern is that it's on the CW. What, do you want Bell and Beast to be a buddy cop drama? Or maybe beast can be an alien, that would make much more sense than copying Twilight.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Wasn't CW the channel that made The Vampire Diaries? That show's really good if you're after some teen drama with vampires. It's like they looked at Twilight and said; "Come on! This is shit, we could do better!" and then they did.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I've never seen the original, although I was familiar with it. However I can't imagine this is anything more than a cashgrab attempt at the Twilight crowd, and that's disappointing.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
trollnystan said:
They better get someone in Ron Perlman's and Linda Hamilton's class to play the main characters or I'll get angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. (TROLLNYSTAN SMASH!)

Ron Perlman made that show awesome, and dayum he was sexy as Vincent. *girlish sigh*
Pbbbth. When is Ron Perlman not sexy? Even when he had a mouth full of metal teeth in Enemy at the Gates he was sexy. And this coming from a heterosexual male.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
The only thing the CW station is good for is Supernatural, and while that gives them a free pass for all the other garbage they show, it isn't enough to make me watch any of it. And I'm not a big enough fan of the original Beauty and the Beast to care about this.