Capcom Won't Let Inafune Finish Mega Man Projects

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Capcom Won't Let Inafune Finish Mega Man Projects

Mega Man-creator Keiji Inafune wanted to complete two projects after he left Capcom.

The feud between Inafune and his former employer of more than two decades time is form two new game companies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104915-Mega-Man-Creator-Keiji-Inafune-Calls-Capcom-a-Communist-State]. The move left two nascent Mega Man projects in limbo - a XBLA/PSN title and a sequel to Mega Man Legends - before Capcom cancelled them. Inafune said that he would like to complete both those games, but, because Capcom holds the IP, it is up to them. And Capcom didn't like the idea of letting a quitter work on their games.

"I really wanted to finish those two projects, especially Legends," Inafune said at the Tokyo Game Show. "It's really up to Capcom to let me do it or not, and for the moment I don't think they're gonna let me do it."

Inafune had to pull teeth at Capcom just get those projects greenlit, and now they are stymied semi-permanently. "The two projects were really hard to even get started, because the title is kind of old," he said. "We were bringing [Mega Man] back. It wasn't easy for me to get the go ahead from the company, I was fighting against the company, and now it's been canceled."

There was a brief hope that a former member of Inafune's team would push the games forward, but so far no one has the courage to fight Capcom's management. "I was kind of hoping that someone would come forth, again, and fight with the company and get that project going, but like I said, I don't know if anybody will have the guts to fight against the company right now."

Is there some designer that Inafune named as his successor, like Michael Corleone chosen to be the new Godfather? "I didn't choose anyone, but I'm kind of hoping that someone will come forth," he said.

You hear that? One of Inefune's former team needs to step up and shoot McCloskey and Salazzo and take up your father's position against Moe Greene and the Five Families.

Or you know, just make Mega Man Legends 3.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/20/inafune-asked-to-keep-working-on-canned-mega-man-projects-post-c/]

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
RvLeshrac said:
Further proof that Capcom is no longer what it once was.
Why would ANY company allow anyone to profit without any stake in the project? If the games flopped then Inafune walks away scotch free, while all the employees at Capcom would suffer from the loss. This isn't proof of anything.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
Inafune is Capcom to me...no Inafune...no Capcom

Hope his new companies and games rock :D

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Capcom should just let Inafune have Mega Man. Unfortunately that isn't good business practice and will never happen.

It's official, Here Lies Mega Man

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Hitman Dread said:
RvLeshrac said:
Further proof that Capcom is no longer what it once was.
Why would ANY company allow anyone to profit without any stake in the project? If the games flopped then Inafune walks away scotch free, while all the employees at Capcom would suffer from the loss. This isn't proof of anything.
The problem is that they *could* outsource the work to his studios, thus distancing themselves from the project if it doesn't succeed.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
I understand there are business reasons why Capcom doesn't want this to go through, but it doesn't make the people who actually are going to play these games happy.

It looks like Mega man is never going to get very far in the industry any more. And it isn't even because we won't play it. Capcom just doesn't want to work on it. And they seem to think that if they can't make a Mega man game no one can.

I won't pretend I know what their business schedule is, but whatever it is it contains a saddening lack of Mega man.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Fucking Capcom.

Seriously, I was a loyal Capcom follower. I love DMC (Not sure about the upcoming one...), I love Mega Man, especially Mega Man Legends, I love Resident Evil, yes, even the movies, and all the other Capcom characters from MvC3. But this is just trolling.

You know, it's fine if you don't have the resources to start a game. That's understandable. But that just seems to me like a dick move. "Hurr, that one guy left so we're cancelling his projects even though half of our followers would die for those titles. it's not that we're butthurt, it's just that we don't care. 8D"

I know any company would probably be against letting former employees take on projects of their own. But in this case, who cares? I mean, Mega Man universe and Mega Man Legends have been cancelled maybe forever. So who cares if Inafune gets the green light to work on a dead project? This is one of those "You can't have the cake and eat it too" situations.

If Capcom was smart, they would try to work something out with Inafune. Not because of us fans (Which is clear then don't give two fucks about), but because it's a good idea. Let's say they're gonna cooperate to carry on with those titles, Inafune and Capcom. If the games flop, then Inafune is to blame; Capcom can wash its hands and tell us fans "I told you so". If the games are a success, Capcom will get something out of it. Whatever they get is better than what they're getting right out of those games: nothing.

Capcom's just plain ol' butthurt. And we're paying for its Preparation H.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Capcom doesn't like titles that are "too old"? I thought that bringing Megaman back to 8 bit graphic was them trying to get some nostalgia dollars.

I've never played the MM Legends series, did it not sell well at the time? I wonder if they made them available as a digital download on the Wii's virtual console/PSN/XBLA and it sold well, would they change their minds?

Zefar

May 11, 2009
This is what you do Capcom.

Give Inafune the right to publish his next MegaMan game and just take a cut from the sales of it.
Inafune and whatever crew he has could do all the work on the MegaMan game himself so Capcom doesn't need to worry about losses.

Like Christ, it's not THAT hard to make money on something.
Though I rather have more games from MegaMan X series as I find that one to the be best in the series. MMX7 being a bit of failure. But they tried something new.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Oh, well. F him then, and by extension, F us.

Wait, no... F you, Capcom!

PS: This explains why MegaMan keeps getting snubbed in MvC3.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
gotta remember, this is capcom, the "we hate you if you dont like fighters" capcom

no more megaman games, drm for psn games, refusal to localize anymore ace attorney games, charging people for dead rising 2 demo and rereleasing MVC3 5 months after the initial release and not compensating those who bought the original or its dlc. rereleasing SF4 twice after saying they wouldnt pull that shit

fuck this company, you have nothing i want, you refuse to bring out anything i want. why should i support you?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Capcom doesn't like titles that are "too old"? I thought that bringing Megaman back to 8 bit graphic was them trying to get some nostalgia dollars.

I've never played the MM Legends series, did it not sell well at the time? I wonder if they made them available as a digital download on the Wii's virtual console/PSN/XBLA and it sold well, would they change their minds?
they refuse to because one of the voice actors hated his work on it and refuses to give them permission