Diablo III Beta Now Live

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Diablo III Beta Now Live

A very lucky few have been invited to join the public beta of the clicky RPG Diablo III.

After reading this headline, a larger number of people will be checking their emails to see if they were invited into Blizzard's beta program for Diablo III than the mind can comfortably conceive. The action RPG has been in development for some time, and if released by the end of this year (don't hold your breath, this is Blizzard we're talking about), the sequel will come a short 11 years after the massively successful Diablo II. If you have been lucky enough to be asked to join the beta, an email should have been sent to the address you have associated with your Battle.net account and after downloading the client you will have full access to the game.

"The fiery gates leading to the Burning Hells have begun to swing open, and the Diablo III beta test is officially underway," Blizzard's community site announced today.

Just because you didn't receive an email invitation this time around, that doesn't mean you can't fight the demon soon. "As with beta tests for other Blizzard Entertainment games, the testing process for Diablo III will occur in phases," reads the announcement. No word on how many phases there will be or how close together the waves of invites will go out, but you can keep your fingers crossed.

Perhaps the best part of this particular announcement compared to other tests is that Diablo III beta participants are allowed (and even encouraged) to share pictures and video of their experiences with the public. "If you have a beta license, you are free to show, share, or talk about any portion of the beta content to which you have access, as this beta test is not confidential." In other words, screw NDAS!

If you have been invited, I hate you and I am insanely jealous that you will be able to battle the forces of Hell before I will. If you haven't, well, tough luck, but doesn't absence make the heart grow fonder?

Ah, screw that. It's been 11 goddamn years, Blizzard! Just let me click on some Fetish Shaman and see what loot it drops!

Source: Diablo III website [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/3542796]

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I'm tired of never being picked by Blizzard to get into Beta, I know people who get into every single one of them. I know I have an average computer built used by many other people, but come on Blizzard, where's my luck? I may just not buy Diablo 3.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Baldr said:
I'm tired of never being picked by Blizzard to get into Beta, I know people who get into every single one of them. I know I have an average computer built used by many other people, but come on Blizzard, where's my luck? May just not buy Diablo 3.
You want in the beta but wont buy the game...

I am confused by your logic.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Ah shit... after reading this I went to my yahoo and got all excited when I saw I had 1 new message, but it was spam.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Eric the Orange said:
Baldr said:
I'm tired of never being picked by Blizzard to get into Beta, I know people who get into every single one of them. I know I have an average computer built used by many other people, but come on Blizzard, where's my luck? May just not buy Diablo 3.

If Blizzard isn't going to show me any love, why should I show them any?

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Baldr said:
Eric the Orange said:
Baldr said:

Because their games are amazing?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I apply but didn't get into the World of Warcraft beta, I didn't get into the Burning Crusade Beta, I didn't get into the Wrath of the Lich King beta, I didn't get into Starcraft 2 beta, I didn't get into the Cataclysm beta. Come on Blizzard it is my turn.
DasDestroyer said:
Baldr said:
Eric the Orange said:
Baldr said:

I apply but didn't get into the World of Warcraft beta, I didn't get into the Burning Crusade Beta, I didn't get into the Wrath of the Lich King beta, I didn't get into Starcraft 2 beta, I didn't get into the Cataclysm beta. I own multiple copies of a lot of Blizzard games. I just want it to be my turn this time around.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I lost interest in Diablo 3 after I heard it required an internet connection at all times. If cheating is such an issue, then having two separate characters, one for local and one for online, would be a better solution. Because if I feel like cheating in a game, then I'll cheat in the game. Fuck you Blizzard.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Low Key said:
I lost interest in Diablo 3 after I heard it required an internet connection at all times. If cheating is such an issue, then having two separate characters, one for local and one for online, would be a better solution. Because if I feel like cheating in a game, then I'll cheat in the game. Fuck you Blizzard.
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is a good case of BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Baldr said:
I apply but didn't get into the World of Warcraft beta, I didn't get into the Burning Crusade Beta, I didn't get into the Wrath of the Lich King beta, I didn't get into Starcraft 2 beta, I didn't get into the Cataclysm beta. Come on Blizzard it is my turn.
DasDestroyer said:
Baldr said:
Eric the Orange said:
Baldr said:

I apply but didn't get into the World of Warcraft beta, I didn't get into the Burning Crusade Beta, I didn't get into the Wrath of the Lich King beta, I didn't get into Starcraft 2 beta, I didn't get into the Cataclysm beta. I own multiple copies of a lot of Blizzard games. I just want it to be my turn this time around.
Edit: Disregard what I previously wrote.
It does say that a lucky few got the beta, and also that there are multiple "waves" of betas, so maybe you'll be in one of the other waves?

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Dammit Blizzard! Just take my money! The anticipation is killing me here!

Sneaky-Pie

Sep 22, 2008
For those of you who whine about not being chosen for the beta:

Blizzard doesn't owe you anything. Get over yourselves.

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
No Email :(

I was actually on the beta test for Diablo II: Lords of Destruction way back when, still have the CD they mailed me.

Yup... they used to send you a CD in the mail. So pimp.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
-checks email-
HA! Didn't get in it. Because I didn't try to. Well guess that's my own bad luck I suppose :)

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
I got into SCII Beta a little after it went live possibly due to being on a Mac and thus having to use a OSX client. Hopefully I'll get into D3!

EDIT: After scanning the forums and comments over at Battle.net, it seems that no one besides press has gotten a key.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Low Key said:
Seriously?

The online only part is what you take issue with?

The real money auction house is a big fecking problem for me, I think it is a sick, money grubbing idea that legitimises gold selling and is more than likely the REAL reason for online only. I mean, ANYONE who thinks they could actually make ANY money from it is sorely mistaken and totally deluded.

Man, I get REALLY enraged by this. More than I should probably, but this crosses a line for me, more so than any intrusive DRM measures or online passes or any of the crap publishers pull to get a little more money and I wish, just this one time, please, that people wouldn't buy into this crap, but they will and I will be sad. ANYONE WHO READS THIS! Please do not buy D3, but if you do and I know you probably will, do not use the real money auction house, ever, that crap has to die.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I've helped test everything from D2 to WoW:BC, but quit WoW right before LK went beta and no invite for SC2. Don't expect to get an invite on D3 betaing either, but that's okay. Still have more games than I could ever possibly have time to play to keep me occupied till release. Still plan on having tons of fun when it does finally come out!

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Haven't there been streams up for the last two weeks?

Wuvlycuddles said:
The real money auction house is a big fecking problem for me, I think it is a sick, money grubbing idea that legitimises gold selling and is more than likely the REAL reason for online only. I mean, ANYONE who thinks they could actually make ANY money from it is sorely mistaken and totally deluded.
The problem is that the auction house would work and solve a lot of problems, while cutting elements that are enjoyable to some. Games were NEVER meant for people without lots of disposable income. Hell, if you aren't in the 20 wealthiest countries on earth, games weren't made for you - AAA games at least.