The Perfect Mashup: Mine of WorldCraft

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Perfect Mashup: Mine of WorldCraft

I'm actually surprised it took this long for someone to put WoW in Minecraft.

Possibly the two biggest titles in PC gaming right now are Minecraft and the still-popular juggernaut of World of Warcraft. Both are massively multiplayer games (or at least Minecraft can be), and both involve exploring a huge world and encountering creatures. The similarities pretty much end there, but crafty YouTube user Haasth22 did an excellent job lampooning World of Warcraft by "blockifying" the character creation process, the useless killing of poor little wolves and the failure of a group to tackle the Deadmines before the instance even begins.

There's a lot of detail in the Mine of WorldCraft video so make sure you watch it in 720p HD quality if you can. That's the only way you can read the hilarious text describing the night elf race: "Night Elves are basically evolved Trolls, and if in-game statistics are anything to go by, their race will die out due to a shortage of males any time now." Hey, I used to have a male Night Elf priest. Not all of us dance naked on mailboxes you know!

The description of WoW's roles are just as funny. DPS classes can "Watch enemy health bars go down" while healers "Watch friendly health bars go up." The silliness of Tanks is perfectly encapsulated by declaring that "You can stand in front of enemies while being told how incompetent you are and then blaming it on the Hunter."

Sure, Haasth22's grammar isn't perfect, but his satire of World of Warcraft is spot on.

Thanks for the tip, [user]DrStrangelove[/user]

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
It's really impressive what people can do in Minecraft. I'm not a big fan of MMO's but I would give this a try.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Heh. "You are a human, and you make up approximately 17% of the player base with no distinguishing features whatsoever."

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
How to Make a Game Mod for Beginners:

1. Choose game for modding.
2. Superimpose popular IP over it.
3. Bask in praise from mindless plebs.

zwober

Nov 20, 2009
Id buy that for a dollar.

old, dreadfull puns aside, the only thing i missed in the vid was some of the over-the-top luddy mounts that keep comming in.

- so a horse aint enough, is it ? Well, Fine! Have a rocket-cigar then!

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
I'd agree on the tank part but see, I was a good tank and I'd always get claims like "That was awesome!" and "I didn't honestly think a warrior could tank that!" Though hunters really should watch their own aggro as part of their class rules, especially on slow wind-up fights.

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
Very good satire. Very nice presentation. Definite win.

Remaking Wow in Minecraft... no. That wouldn't work terribly well. Not unless you use some nifty bukkit mods to allow players to travel between different servers. Even then, there aren't enough IDs to properly replicate all the items needed to support a decent grindfest.

Nope, overall too much work to be considered viable. Make a decent RPG mod and have fun with that.
I just love the nerdrage in the Yt comments..."OMG minecraft sux, pay monthly for a real game!!"

Kalezian said:
But why is it that when everyone sees a Paladin that they automatically assume he/she is a tank?
Because there are only so many "right builds" that are accepted as viable and any deviation from that is considered heresy by the rest of the masses. If you want to have fun and play the character the way you want, you better look for another game or give up on playing in groups.

Jnat

Feb 1, 2010
People thinking world of minecraft sounds better never heard of the website famous for making it easy to hack the old creative mode, and actually downloading the game.

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
Eerily enough, this is almost a perfect interpretation of my first experience with WOW. Quit that same day and never went back.

Although for some reason, my dad is now playing it. Oh well...

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
MajorDolphin said:
I liked the race description for the night elves. So true... so true.
The Orks is a lot better...Such creative writing that man has, almost brought a tear to my eye...

OT: I would get this, easily xD

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
i dont think this is real...or real in the sense of what the video is getting on at. I dont think everything you see in the video is real ingame footage

I think a lot of the UI elements are superimposed on the screen, like the quest exclamation/question mark and the floating combat text

Still, pretty funny, and it definately looks as if its something that 'could' exist