Creepy Rollercoaster Will Kill You with Euphoria

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Creepy Rollercoaster Will Kill You with Euphoria

A Lithuanian has designed a rollercoaster that produces enough G forces to kill you.

In the places where you are legally permitted to end your life - Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and the U.S. states of Oregon and Washington - the process is very sterile. Medical staff inject those who wish to die with a poison cocktail designed to cause little or no pain and the person's life just ends. Julijonas Urbonas, a Lithuanian PhD candidate at London's Royal College of Art, wants to change that meaningless non-ceremony into a thrill ride. His idea is the "Euthanasia Coaster" which, after a climb of 1,600 feet, plummets a human body through a series of loops that produce 23 Gs of force. That much gravity prevents blood from flowing to the brain and the person dies, with a sense of euphoria.

The "Euthanasia Coaster is a hypothetic euthanasia machine in the form of a roller coaster, engineered to humanely - with elegance and euphoria - take the life of a human being," writes Urbonas, who has worked at an amusement park and is a big fan of roller coasters.

[vimeo=23040442]

The coaster features a huge ascent - of the three minute ride, two is spent climbing the tower. At the top, the person riding in the car will have a chance to think about his life and the decision to end it. That's where the final decision will be made - only by pressing a button will the euthanasia recipient take the final plunge.

"The rider has a few minutes to contemplate his decision and his life in retrospect. He would find enough time to adapt to the height and get through a series of imaginary fatal falls, while realizing that the objects on the ground are getting smaller," said Urbonas. "The slightest movement of the car would trigger intense heart-beating and goosebumps and most importantly it would test your decision. Therefore the very top of the tower is an ideal place to give the very last word."

It's not clear whether you will be encouraged to raise your arms and scream the whole way down. I sure as hell would.

What is clear is that the Euthanasia Coaster is a merely a concept and exists only in a 1:500 scale model built by Urbonas. While anyone who's played Roller Coaster Tycoon is guilty of designing a coaster that killed people, it's very unlikely that anyone would invest so much money in building a machine simply made to kill you.

Maybe that's because Urbonas - and the whole idea of a Euthanasia Coaster - is just plain creepy.

Source: Discovery News [http://news.discovery.com/tech/euthanasia-sucicide-rollercoaster-ride-110919.html]

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Maybe that's because Urbonas - and the whole idea of a Euthanasia Coaster - is just plain creepy.
Really? I think as suicide methods go it is kind of awesome, it reminds me of the way I would chose to go (off a snow covered cliff on a rocket propelled hospital trolley, possibly with a cape and probably pumped up on some drugs to ease any pain on impact).

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well i have to say, it is original, but there's something about it...
It's like he wants to build a giant death machine. Which is is, of course.
Still... I can believe being so high would make quite a lot of people rethink their idea.
So i guess that's the good part.
The bad part is that it's a giant death machine.

May 5, 2010
There's a joke here about those pictures that Disneyland rides take of you right as you go down a massive drop, but I can't quite find it.

Also, I'm not sure it IS creepy. I mean, if I was diagnosed with terminal cancer or something, I think having to option of going out on a giant roller coaster would be pretty damn appealing.

I mean, if there's a humane way of killing someone, that's it.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
I don't know how anyone would feel seeing that on their daily commute to work...that would be really creepy seeing that huge thing, a machine designed for pleasure, to be used for humanely killing people.

Maybe video games will become that one day. /thread

May 5, 2010
*sigh* Give my post back, Escapist. Give it back. I said drop it!

BAD Escapist! That's a BAD web site! Go find your chew toy.

Sorry, double post.

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
Wow..... wouldn't want to be a confused person who mistakes this for a actual ride.
I'm guessing would you totally need a license to ride this....If your suicidal.
Also people who want to end their life are sometimes in great pain or on a hospital bed, so this is for more of those who are mentally depressed.

cp2u

Jul 28, 2009
This is the most terrible idea I have ever seen.

I mean come on, it would be way cheaper to just supercharge one of those UFO centrifuge rides, and it would have the same effect.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Greg Tito said:
While anyone who's played Roller Coaster Tycoon is guilty of designing a coaster that killed people,
But I didn't MEAN for it to do that! I just sucked at coaster design! I ONLY WANTED TO BUILD A BETTER SHUTTLE LOOP!

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
I'm confused, how do they get those that change their mind and don't push the button back down without killing them?

So this is the same concept medically as the Hypoxia chamber they were testing at one point?

I have to say the coaster sounds preferable to the chamber or the operating table though, I feel sorry for the person who has the job of cleaning out the coaster cart of bodies and fluids.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
cp2u said:
This is the most terrible idea I have ever seen.

I mean come on, it would be way cheaper to just supercharge one of those UFO centrifuge rides, and it would have the same effect.
But it doesn't have the all-important ride up to the top.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
Haha, this is hilariously silly, I mean come on, 500 meters? It would be the 5th highest building in the world, serving a single purpose only, which is to kill people, one person at a time. How can he stand there and give a presentation and not make a joke about it. It's a pretty cool idea and all, but no one would ever spend that amount of money on something, which can be done much, much, much cheaper.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Scorched_Cascade said:
I'm confused, how do they get those that change their mind and don't push the button back down without killing them?
I assume the cart then just goes down slowly, held by a chain or something like that.

OT: I don't really like that idea. I've always like roller coasters and they're memories of fun and great times and now he's turned them into a place of death. It's just that it gives me an uncomfortable feeling, knowing that there are people who use them to die, while I'm using them for amusement.
Oh yeah another thing is, I NEVER used the roller coasters in RCT to murder people, I simply drowned them.