Game of Thrones: Genesis Trailer Underwhelms

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Game of Thrones: Genesis Trailer Underwhelms

The trailer is heavy on blacksmithing action shots but short on intrigue.

I think I've made it quite clear by this point [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/game+of+thrones] that I like George R. R. Martin's fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire and the subsequent TV show. I'd be lying if - before it aired - I said I wasn't apprehensive that the show would somehow screw up the nuance of Martin's writing but luckily, as adaptations go, I thought HBO's 10 episode series did as well as it could. A similar worry is now in full swing with Cyanide Game's real-time strategy game Game of Thrones: Genesis. Encapsulating all of the intrigue and lusty drama of the courts of Westeros in a mere war game is a tough nut to crack. The trailer released today reinforces that fear by showing nothing but armies marching, a much diminished Wall, and a blacksmith endlessly hammering. Oh, and a dragon. Ho hum.

How the world map appears is important in communicating the feel of a strategy game and, a brief thrill of seeing Westeros transferred to a RTS map, I think Cyanide missed what makes ASOIAF unique. The landscape shown in the trailer just looks too bright, too busy and too generic. Dorne looks too much like Egypt or Persia, while Harrenhall (I assume that's the big castle about 45 seconds in) looks like it might appear in a Disney cartoon.

Where is the intrigue and backstabbing that Cyanide promises with every press release [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112830-Experience-the-Founding-of-Westeros-in-Game-of-Thrones-Genesis]? I'd much rather see evidence that Genesis is anything other than a run-of-the-mill RTS than a portly blacksmith banging away at a hunk of metal. I mean, swords and crafting aren't even a huge part of ASOIAF, why use the blacksmith motif to tie together a bunch of unrelated shots of wagons roaming across the land.

And when the dragon breathes purple-black (?) flame at the end, I was already underwhelmed enough not to care.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
surprisingly, i prefer this trailer to most i see, why? because it contains ingame footage and not 100% cutscenes like too many trailers do.

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
So some generic looking fantasy strategy game will have cities with names from the books? Weak.

I'm concerned that a book/tv series that ranks among the most "gritty" and dark I've dealt with appears so bright. It looks like a step removed from the Age Of Empires Online game.

Daemonate

Jun 7, 2010
Doesn't seem so bad. I could give a rats if the graphics were not super modern if the diplomacy and strategy portions of the game are solid.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Why does the escapist always have to tell us how to feel about trailers? Every time there is an article about a trailer, you give us the impressions right in the title. How about a neutral title, an opportunity to see it (present), and then whatever you feel have to say ...

Ontopic, the trailer is kind of, umm, underwhelming, lol.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
There is a blacksmith in the trailer for this game but there weren't many blacksmiths in the books so this trailer is invalid? There better be bigger nits to pick than that. How about, judging on graphics and animation, it looks like it could have been released 10 years ago and would have fit right in with the rest of the year's releases.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Looks like another DRM Licensed cash cow.

No thanks. I loved the show and knocked out the entire series of books before the first season concluded. I think I'll pass on this game.

The scale is waaay off but at least it looks intentional. The wall made me weep though (pun intended). I don't recall any description of a perfect rectangle with abrupt endings that any half witted wildling could walk around.

Here's a major issue with cramming the entire world of GoT into a single map, replay value. Hey everyone! Play the same map again and again!! Hurray! Oh, wait. That doesn't sound like fun. They should have at least tried to base the game loosely around the Age of Heroes. At least that would have been interesting and there would be plenty for fans of the series to do other than nitpick the inaccuracies.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Hasn't this trailer already been out for a while now?

Anyhow, it's mostly pre-rendered junk, but I've seen pre-rendered masterpieces for junk games, so this indicates nothing.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Dorne looks how it's supposed to and the castle 45 seconds in is more likely Riverrun than Harrenhal as Harrenhal sits on the shore of a lake. You can see two of the three rivers that Riverrun sits on in the shot. My only real problem with the settings is "The Wall" should certainly have less a man made look to it and more of a natural look.

Other than that it looked like a RTS game and those are largely hard to judge off of trailers. It doesn't look ground breaking but Martin is super protective of the "Game of Thrones" property so you can trust it likely won't be total shit either.

UrieHusky

Sep 16, 2011
Wait isn't this an RTS, what did those CGI scenes have to do with the actual game play.... I hate it when games do this, RTS's especially.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Despite the underwhelming trailer, I'm still looking forward to how this game turns out. Don't judge a book by it's cover, damnit.
Also, what's so strange about purple-black flame? Didn't Drogon breathe black fire? Not to mention Balerion the Black Dread?

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
Hmmmmm. Well, I wasn't expecting much anyway, but that's pretty budget looking. Hopefully if it fails it'll just taper off and everyone will forget about it and just focus on season 2.

ThreeKneeNick said:
Why does the escapist always have to tell us how to feel about trailers? Every time there is an article about a trailer, you give us the impressions right in the title. How about a neutral title, an opportunity to see it (present), and then whatever you feel have to say ...
Welcome to the Escapist, where non-biased journalism takes a back seat. Very few of the writers won't include an opinion (apparently it's their "thing"), and most try to lean towards inspiring rage or anger among readers, cause it generates responses.

Just glean what you can from the information and make your own mind up. I mean, it's not like there's people out there who actually believe every word Yahtzee says and don't play good games simply cause he doesn't like them. Right...?

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Project_Xii said:
Welcome to the Escapist, where non-biased journalism takes a back seat. Very few of the writers won't include an opinion (apparently it's their "thing"), and most try to lean towards inspiring rage or anger among readers, cause it generates responses.

Just glean what you can from the information and make your own mind up. I mean, it's not like there's people out there who actually believe every word Yahtzee says and don't play good games simply cause he doesn't like them. Right...?
It's not that big of a deal, people can make their own minds up, yet it's consistently happening so it's kind of annoying.

As for the trailer, i wasn't expecting much, I've never heard of the studio before so I think promotion isn't their thing. Thus I am reserving judgment about the game until I see reviews/gameplay.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
I'd assume that as a blacksmith he should know that this inconsistent banging will result in a crap sword.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Ser Imp said:
I'm severely disappointed by the lack of whores in this trailer. What is this, LOTR?
If I where you I would write to my MP about it.

It's just a crying shame in this day and age.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Hmm, I get the distinct feeling this would of been better off as a Total War style TBS with Real-Time battles.

Disappointing is the word, but these could very well be early days yet.

It's funny, the opening for the TV show looks like a better game trailer than this. x)

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
I haven't been pulled in at all by the trailer (which I'm taking a wild guess is Aegon the Conquerer, what with the dragon. My first guess was) Or how the game looks, but the mechanics and promises that you can beat the game without ever recruiting soldiers intrigue me.
So do the peace/war mechanics.

And as other people have mentioned, this trailer has been out for yonks.