Guitar Hero Developer Tuning Up New First-Person Shooter

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011

The next time you hammer-on and pull-off a button in a Neversoft game, someone will die.

Just a few months after Activision shelved the Guitar Hero franchise for failing to convert hand cramps into gold as fast as it used to, developer Neversoft has begun to recruit talent for a new AAA, multiplayer FPS title, the details of which have yet to be revealed.

The discovery was made on Neversoft's official job recruitment page [http://www.neversoft.com/site/hiring.html], where the company has listed the need for a Windows PC Platform Lead Engineer, a Senior Technical Artist, and a Senior Level Designer, all of which require candidates to have "a strong passion for and experience with First Person Shooters." This new game will mark the developer's first foray into the world of FPS gunplay, its only two previous action titles being PlayStation's Spider-Man in 2000, and the multi-platform release of Gun in 2005.

With Neversoft famously responsible for what are possibly the two most milked franchises of all time (Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk), and Activision's ongoing marathon run with the Call of Duty series, let's just hope this new FPS title is decent enough for us to stomach the inevitable parade of spin-offs and sequels likely to follow any success this game may find. Though, if that is the case, it could also mean a great long-term gig for anyone who scoops up one the jobs being offered. What do you say, Escapists? Any Windows PC Platform Lead Engineers out there looking for work?

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-22-guitar-hero-dev-is-working-on-an-fps]

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
What? A developer under ActiBlizzard making an FPS?

I am simply shocked, my good man! Shocked I say!

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
Now hold on... maybe they're gonna do something new with the FPS franchise...

PFFFFFFFTAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah right. But seriously, do we NEED anymore military-themed FPS games? There's too many as it is and I, for one, can't tell them apart whatsoever.

Why not do, I don't know, a fighting game? Something different at least? I know fighting game clones were getting bad in the 90's but at least they were clones of one of two things (Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat) instead of just one thing like now (Call of Duty).

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Hurray another FPS like we haven't got enough of those already.

It will probably even come with micro trans and DRM while under Blizz

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
sweet now we can play Duty of Call releasing every april by two different developers. You will Play the opposing front to the good guys. They just take the scripts of older games and you play on the different side and win.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
A... new FPS?!

Stop the f*cking presses!

That being said, though, I actually bought, played and finished GUN back in the day; and I really enjoyed it. Sure; it was too linear and not linear enough at the same time, the final third was a slog and the awful final boss fight could go f*ck itself right up its c**ting arsehole; but the Western atmosphere was accurate, Thomas Jane was a great lead and a lot of it's best ideas (slo-mo Dead-Eye, accurate and exciting horse riding and reaction testing showdowns) were basically ripped wholesale for Red Dead Redemption (and improved upon, but that's not important).

So, I hope that this is actually rather good!

Ah, who am I kidding! It'll be a generic, average piece of sh*te!

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
*Random derogatory term about FPS'S*

OT: I'd like to see how this goes, it could either be really bad or really good.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Mike Kayatta said:

The next time you hammer-on and pull-off a button in a Neversoft game, someone will die.
Weird, that used to only happen when you missed them.

http://www.mighthavebeen.net/view.php?ID=30

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Hm... Not until they come up with a guitar controler that has full motion detecting all over it so you can point at the screen and use the guitar neck as a barrel(kinda like Genkaku from Deadman Wonderland for those who have seen it) to shoot things and then play your own increasingly awesome victory music will i be interested in anything they have to offer on this front.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
Sean Strife said:
Now hold on... maybe they're gonna do something new with the FPS franchise...

PFFFFFFFTAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah right. But seriously, do we NEED anymore military-themed FPS games? There's too many as it is and I, for one, can't tell them apart whatsoever.

Why not do, I don't know, a fighting game? Something different at least? I know fighting game clones were getting bad in the 90's but at least they were clones of one of two things (Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat) instead of just one thing like now (Call of Duty).
What about the Halo clones?
What Halo clones? The only Halo clone I know of is that godawful piece of shit, Haze. But how many Call of Duty clones are out right now?