Real Deus Ex-Style Augmentation Could Depend on Squid Ink

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Real Deus Ex-Style Augmentation Could Depend on Squid Ink

Researchers at the University of Washington have created a squid ink-powered proton transistor which could allow machines to communicate directly with organic matter.

It isn't easy to make an organic cell talk to a piece of electrical equipment; first in a long list of problems is the fact that while the former uses ions and protons to send commands, the latter relies on electrons. In good news for augmentation fans everywhere, a team from the University of Washington says they might be about to solve this problem with their squid-based proton transistor.

In simplified terms, our bodies use protons to switch different cells "on" and "off," and those commands can't be given by electrons - unless there's a transistor inbetween to "translate" for them. The transistor uses a modified form of the compound chitosan, which is found in abundance in crab shells and the insides of squids, to allow electron-to-proton commands.

Marco Rolandi, Assistant Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at the University of Washington, explained that, "There's always this issue, a challenge, at the interface - how does an electronic signal translate into an ionic signal, or vice versa?"

"We found a biomaterial that is very good at conducting protons, and allows the potential to interface with living systems," he continued. "In our device, large bioinspired molecules can move protons, and a proton current can be switched on and off, in a way that's completely analogous to an electronic current in any other field effect transistor."

At the moment the transistor is silicon-based, meaning it isn't compatible with organic matter. Rolandi and his team are working on making the transistor a little more human-friendly, and the possible practical applications of this discovery won't really become apparent until then. A biocompatible transistor could monitor, influence or even directly control certain body functions; that health bar you're so used to seeing on the screen could become reality. Bad news for squids, it seems, is good news for us.

Source: Dvice [http://www.tgdaily.com/trendwatch-features/58587-proton-based-transistor-could-let-machines-communicate-with-humans]

Nov 12, 2010
Protons and ions also move a lot slower than electrons, due to the fact of them having a much greater mass. I foresee timing and calibration issues. Nice discovery though: I could always use an extra hand (no, not for that). ^_^

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Forget the arm, guy who had first post!

Give me the hacking augments so I can steal Half Life 2: Episode 3 from Valve's servers. I'm sure they have it stashed there in case of finacial emergency. Or at least in Beta mode. I'd settle for Alpha too.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
CrazyBerk said:
So when can I buy my bionic arm capable of punching through walls?
Oh, just give them a few months if a bunch of assholes don't start protesting to ruin it for everybody.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
John the Gamer said:

Give me the hacking augments so I can steal Half Life 2: Episode 3 from Valve's servers. I'm sure they have it stashed there in case of finacial emergency. Or at least in Beta mode. I'd settle for Alpha too.
I'd say that post just made Gabe go and eat it to prevent that from happening.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Awww, when I read augmentation and squid ink, I was hoping for a Zoidberg-like ink defense system. Although I suppose this is pretty cool too.

Khravv

Jun 8, 2011
James Crook said:
CrazyBerk said:
So when can I buy my bionic arm capable of punching through walls?
Oh, just give them a few months if a bunch of assholes don't start protesting to ruin it for everybody.
You know.... that is basically what what going in DX:HR. It'd be kinda crazy if that stuff in those games (well, minus the conspiracy stuff) came true.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Ser Imp said:
Who wouldn't ask for this?
I didn'... fuck it. Memes are only funny when they are new.

This sounds like pretty wonderful news actually. Human augmentation becoming a reality is quite a fascinating concept. One that also brings with it a fucketload of moral problems, which, while, they have been pondered for a while, are not quite answered.
I, for one, welcome our out-of-place boss battle overlords.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
I need to find the waiting list and get my name on it ASAP.

I'll never stop looking. GET IT? LIKE IN THE GAME. ISOFUNNY.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Hevva said:
A biocompatible transistor could monitor, influence or even directly control certain body functions; that health bar you're so used to seeing on the screen could become reality. Bad news for squids, it seems, is good news for us.
Well to be fair we already eat them, so it's not like we were the best of friends at this point. And if this takes off they'll probably just make the compound artificially in mass quantities.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I'm contemplating to give myself a bionic arm even though both my arms are completely fine. The only flaw they have is that I can't destroy a stone block with them.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
No_Remainders said:
John the Gamer said:

I'd say that post just made Gabe go and eat it to prevent that from happening.
Then I'd guess the arms shan't be rejected so easily after all; Heimmlich FTW!

Dec 27, 2010
Beryl77 said:
I'm contemplating to give myself a bionic arm even though both my arms are completely fine. The only flaw they have is that I can't destroy a stone block with them.
I suppose some would make the point that your natural limbs have the potential to adapt and grow so that you could potentially break a block :/. Just saying

OT: That's interesting, although I doubt much will come from it. We always hear about "the next big step" towards limb augmentations or replacements, but we very rarely hear about it afterwards.

Venereus

May 9, 2010
Avaholic03 said:
Awww, when I read augmentation and squid ink, I was hoping for a Zoidberg-like ink defense system. Although I suppose this is pretty cool too.
Where do you think they got the Typhoon idea from?

Just compare:

See? Same thing!