Shigeru Miyamoto "Concerned" About Videogame Violence

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Shigeru Miyamoto "Concerned" About Videogame Violence

Nintendo [http://www.nintendo.com] godfather Shigeru Miyamoto has expressed "concern" over the growth of violence in videogames, adding that there are other ways to grab the attention of gamers.

In an interview with U.K. television station Channel 4 [http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/science_technology/meeting+mr+nintendo/2592477], Miyamoto claimed that Nintendo's "mission" was to provide an affordable form of entertainment, a goal which becomes considerably more relevant during times of economic turmoil. "We need to eat in order to live - that's our first priority but entertainment and the enrichment of our souls must come in second place," he said. "Nintendo's mission is to improve and to take advantage of cheap technology to create reasonable and affordable entertainment. Our games are good value."

But he also voiced concerns over the high levels of violence that have figured so prominently in many hit videogame releases. "I don't want to curb freedom of expression but I am concerned that many developers focus just on excessive violence in order to stimulate people's mind," he said. "I believe that there are more ways of grabbing players' attention than violence alone."

The report claims that only six percent of all videogames sold in the U.K. are violent enough to warrant an 18+ rating, but Duncan Bell of T3 Magazine [http://www.t3.com/] said in-game violence holds a very definite appeal for many gamers. "Men of all ages, really, sort of enjoy simulated violence, and that's not likely to change in the near future," he said.

Miyamoto, however, has been able to establish himself as one of the preeminent geniuses of videogaming by taking an entirely different and blood-free approach. Among his most popular creations are Wii Fit [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_(video_game)] - and not a single shotgun blast to the face among them.

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
I'll let Miyamoto's criticism of ANYTHING pass. If he was for cutting down the redwoods, I wouldn't be bothered.

nepheleim

Sep 10, 2008
He's right that violence need not be everything. But I don't think it's a giant social problem.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Yeah... I'll start worrying about violence in video games starts being criticized by Rockstar. Not the creator of a game where the most violent thing you do is jump on mushroom things. And while I agree that a game shouldn't be based solely on violent content, I still think that violence adds a degree of realism and an outlet for pent up stress.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Nintendo godfather Shigeru Miyamoto has expressed "concern" over the growth of violence in videogames
Sorry, SSBB called and said "What are you on about?"

Well, that and Zelda. Slaughtering shadow creatures by the truckload. ;D

Supernovajake

Oct 18, 2008
If that whole Manhunt hate thing didn't change violence in games then this guy won't have any impact surely.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
When Nintendo releases a creates a new game character and not another Mario, Zelda or Pokemon game I might take him seriously again.

Until then I'll just continue to kill random people in GTA by "accidentally" driving on the sidewalk.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
You're slow, Shiggy! [http://www.reviewsrantsrandomness.com/2008/09/12-25-videogame-violence-is-wrong.html]

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
He does have a point, that violent is sometimes used as a crutch for bad gameplay. On the other hand, it's not a huge issue really.

PS: Plenty of violence in Miyamoto's games. Just no GRAPHIC violence.

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
I remember reading somewhere that he rarely lets his kids play videogames, like how Mark Twain never let his kids read. (joke)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Dectilon post=7.74628.840957 said:
I'm concerned over his lack of originality : P
Indeed! How many Mario games are there? How many Zelda's? Metroids? Etc. Very little new in there own brand stockpile, unless they've started developing like crazy since the Wii came out.

But I do agree, voilence does seem to be a hook for alot of (good) games (i.e. exclude Jumper the game and its poor tie-in-ilk)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Unfortunately, Miyamoto is stuck in the past and thinking that games are children's toys.

They still are, of course, but various studies have been made and the average gamer is somewhere between 20 and 40 I believe (correct me if i'm mistaken).

And he's not giving kids the credit they diserve, maybe they like this stuff and not those stupid HAPPY HAPPY ANIME EYES >:3 Animes. I know I do, and I like to watch some more mature things and think about other stuff besides the girl who has boobs next to me.

Miyamoto should definately stick to what he does, making games that everyone can enjoy, and just let it take it's course. I'm sure it's a phase, just like how the word "Innovation!" and "Gimmick!" will all soon fade away in the next gen (hopefully). We didn't have to use those words last generation did we?

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Once he comes out with a brand new franchise that proves immune to Nintendo's moneymilker disease I'll start paying attention to the poor slave's opinions.

TheWickerPopstar

Dec 6, 2007
Whether or not you agree with Miyamoto's comments, it brings the definition of violence in video games into question. Is it the act undergone in the video game, or is it how it looks? Hell, in LEGO Star Wars, I'm cutting people, droids, wookies, etc., with light sabers but the plastic doesn't bleed. But LEGO Star Wars is considered a kids game, while No More Heroes is...well...not (and yes, I know the goal of the NMH is more adult, but my concern is the blood).

Is it naive to think that all violence is fine as long as there's a way to shut off the gore, or should the primary action in video games be non-violent? Should Mario be jumping on Goombas, or putting out fires?

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
HomeAliveIn45 post=7.74628.840859 said:
I'll let Miyamoto's criticism of ANYTHING pass. If he was for cutting down the redwoods, I wouldn't be bothered.
That is what bothers me. People don't question Nintendo if for no other reason than they are Nintendo. It is kind of weird.

As for violence/gore in video games let me put it to people this way: If you don't like gory games then don't play them. No one is making you.