Game of Thrones Writer Fell in Love with Marvel Because it Killed Characters

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Game of Thrones Writer Fell in Love with Marvel Because it Killed Characters

Even at a young age, George RR Martin liked to see characters die.

Anyone who is familiar with Game of Thrones writer George RR Martin's work knows that he is not afraid to kill off characters, often in quite violent and painful ways. So it will probably come as no surprise that the reason Martin loves Marvel comics is because Marvel also wasn't afraid to kill.

Martin said that the events of the ninth issue of The Avengers had stuck with him of many years.
"Wonder Man dies in that story. He's a brand new character, he's introduced, and he dies. It was very heart-wrenching. I liked the character, it was a tragic, doomed character. I guess I've responded to tragic, doomed characters ever since I was a high school kid."

He noted that, as often happens in comic books, Wonder Man didn't stay dead, but said that seeing something actually change - as opposed to the much more static DC Comics - had had a profound effect on him as a young man. "It's hard to understand, I think, from the vantage point of 2011 exactly what was going on in comics back in the early '60s. The Marvel comics ... were really revolutionary for the time. Stan Lee was doing some amazing work," he explained.

"Up until then, the dominant comic book had been the DC comics, which at that time were always very circular: Superman or Batman would have an adventure, and at the end of the adventure, they would wind up exactly where they were, and then the next issue would follow the same pattern. Nothing ever changed for the DC characters."

Source: The Sound of Young America [http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/sound-young-america] via Blastr [http://blastr.com/2011/09/george-rr-martin-loves-ma.php]

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
I can see what he means. People used to die or get killed in kid's TV as well if you look at older titles such as Captain Scarlett; there's something more visceral and engaging about kid's media that deal with genuine peril.

(oh, and there might be a typo in the title..."writers")

Jetsetneo

Apr 2, 2010
Funny, comics characters can't seem NOT to die nowadays, DC in particular kills off (or at least mutilates) characters on a seemingly daily basis (this has only slowed down with the reboot).

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Well I suppose it beats falling in love with Marvel for it's wicked awesome capcom cross overs. If only just marginally.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Well, I dunno, plenty of DC characters have died- but as he notes none of them can actually seem to stay dead...

Which undermines the whole emotional resonance for me. When you can have a dramatic death scene, even if it's cathartic and well written scene, the fact that they'll just spring to life again makes it all just so much pointless exercise.

If RR Martin is inspired by writers that kill characters off, I'm inspired by writers that will just goddam commit to their stories. As in, if you think the character has to die as part of the story, commit to that choice and don't just use it for cheap emotional resonance.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Spoilers for Song of Ice and Fire ahead:

One of my most WTF moments was not the death of Ned Stark (which was WTF in and of itself at the time), but rather the death of Oberyn Martell. He's introduced in the third book, and fairly late at that. He's shown to be quite awesome. Handsome, smart, talented, with a rich history behind him. A total badarse. It really felt like a new major character was being added to the mix and a cool one at that. Then he's dead a few chapters later, just as he was having his Crowning Moment of Awesome beating the crap out of The Mountain That Rides...

For some reason, that was the most WTF death in the series for me...

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Jandau said:
Use the darned "[ spoiler ]...[ /spoiler ]" tag.

That's what it's for man.

This way nobody reads any of that by accident.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Jetsetneo said:
Funny, comics characters can't seem NOT to die nowadays, DC in particular kills off (or at least mutilates) characters on a seemingly daily basis (this has only slowed down with the reboot).
They've had at most one issue for each series. Give them time. Apparently time travel and constant resurrection will be much less common now, though. Yay!

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Ghengis John said:
Jandau said:
Use the darned "[ spoiler ]...[ /spoiler ]" tag.

That's what it's for man.

This way nobody reads any of that by accident.
I didn't feel like using it. Yeah, I know, I'm the embodiment of pure evil.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Killed their characters? A comic book giant?
Don't make me laugh.

A universe where anyone can be brought back to life (or written off as non-canon) carries no real tension because even the absolute WORST consequences are always temporary (even lost relationships...*cough cough*Spiderman*cough cough*).

Repeat with me the comic book Mantra: Maintain the Status Quo. To protect the Franchise. At ALL costs.

Oct 30, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Killed their characters? A comic book giant?
Don't make me laugh.

A universe where anyone can be brought back to life (or written off as non-canon) carries no real tension because even the absolute WORST consequences are always temporary (even lost relationships...*cough cough*Spiderman*cough cough*).

Repeat with me the comic book Mantra: Maintain the Status Quo. To protect the Franchise. At ALL costs.
Now maybe, but this was 50 years ago.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
And just like comic books, GRRM is always finding ways to bring back dead characters.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Killing a character like that just seems wasteful to me. Well unless you make them going down a CMOA, I suppose.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
well, to be fair..
only two dead characters actually came back, the rest just appeared dead/lost due to misinformation.

well, brienne could be a third..but it doesn't really look that way, we're just missing the details of what happened in between her AFFC and ADWD appearances.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Characters don't stay dead? True for some.
OT: The fact that loved characters really can die makes for a whole other dimension in the story. If it's shown that characters can die and then one of the popular characters gets put in mortal danger then the audience is much more likely to be fully engaged in what's going on.

The death of a hero is actually a great story element and it has entertainment value. Not as in "amusing", but in that it keeps people interested. Hope that makes sense, i don't know any other way to form it >_<

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
The Great JT said:
Killing a character like that just seems wasteful to me. Well unless you make them going down a CMOA, I suppose.
Star Trek did it for years poor red shirts.... they have the worse luck.

OT

Well Marvel killed off Nightcrawler a huge fan favorite, Mystique my personal favorite marvel villain and Sabertooth an all round badass that been kicking ass for years IMO way better character then Wolverine. Marvel is willing to just kill off their characters. I just wonder when Wolverine is gonna take that dirt nap for killing off Mystique and Sabertooth.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I love it when characters die, and unsurprisingly I love A Song of Fire and Ice.
I remember seeing a letter from Martin to Marvel when he was about 16.