Deus Ex: HR DLC Promises Options in Dealing With Boss

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Deus Ex: HR DLC Promises Options in Dealing With Boss

Eidos Montreal has responded to player complaints by making Human Revolution's new boss battle more like the game that surrounds it.

One of the defining aspects of Deus Ex: Human Revolution's farmed out to another company [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9084-Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Review] may have given rise to a collective "ohhhhh" from the gaming community, but still didn't make things any better. With five-hour-long The Missing Link, Deus Ex: HR's first batch of DLC, on its way next month, many are wondering if we'll be dealing with more of the same issues in taking on the main game's big bads. Fortunately, this is not the case, according to Marc-Andre Dufort, the DLC's producer.

"We have a boss battle at the end," he said during an interview with Eurogamer, "but it's different from the main game boss battles. You can actually not kill the boss. You can do a non-lethal takedown on him. And you can kill him from afar. You can even kill him without him seeing you. It's more of a bigger challenge than a standard boss fight like we have in many games."

Even better, Eidos Montreal will be handling things itself to make sure that things play out like they're supposed to. "Everything was done in Montreal at Eidos," Dufort explained. "It's a lot less frustrating. But it depends on the way you play. If you played more combat in the main game, you probably didn't have any trouble dealing with the boss fights. So, we allow the adaptation of the way you play for that particular boss fight."

I think that aside from the difficulty curve, many people found issue with the bosses of Deus Ex: HR because they felt so different from the rest of the experience. Being locked in a small room with a guy twice your size wielding a rocket launcher seems completely counter to the way you probably got there. Though The Missing Link's change seems mainly focused on tempering the difficulty curve, it also sounds as though it will address this consistency issue as well. Regardless, considering the fact that Eidos Montreal was responsible for all of the stellar parts of Deus Ex:HR, we shouldn't be surprised if The Missing Link is just as good.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-23-deus-ex-dlc-includes-new-boss-battle]

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Marc-Andre Dufort said:
"We have a boss battle at the end, but it's different from the main game boss battles. You can actually not kill the boss. You can do a non-lethal takedown on him. And you can kill him from afar. You can even kill him without him seeing you. It's more of a bigger challenge than a standard boss fight like we have in many games."
Yay? As long as you can get your augments turned back on at some point in the DLC so you can attempt such feats....

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
The wierdest thing about the bosses was the fact that they actually get easier as the game goes on.

The first boss is always a pain in the ass until you figure out the right combination of stuns and bombs.

The sedcond one is easily broken by a single specific augmentation. (The EMP-Resistance)

The third one can simply be shot down, if you dodge his grenades.

The last boss can be beaten by punching in a code and shooting a plane of glass. Ironically it is the closest to how a Deus Ex Boss should be: It is easy if you are smart and prepare for it, but can be bruteforced otherwise.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Or they could man up, put in the resources and patch/ update the game to flesh out existing boss battles and be a dev hero.

...oh if only there were epic devs who would sacrifice cash and man hours to go back and fix broken parts of their games. To fill all gaps and polish a game to gleaming perfection post launch instead of releasing dlcs.

It is like that game Mindhack by squee, that flopped on its face and then released dlc.
If the dlc doesn't completely patch it or fix all complaints that are within reason why bother.

Games are like art in a way, you release a work take in the general issues with it, pull it down and fix what was wrong, with in reason. If all people want is boss battles that have options work them in with some patches.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
XT inc said:
Or they could man up, put in the resources and patch/ update the game to flesh out existing boss battles and be a dev hero.

...oh if only there were epic devs who would sacrifice cash and man hours to go back and fix broken parts of their games. To fill all gaps and polish a game to gleaming perfection post launch instead of releasing dlcs.

It is like that game Mindhack by squee, that flopped on its face and then released dlc.
If the dlc doesn't completely patch it or fix all complaints that are within reason why bother.

Games are like art in a way, you release a work take in the general issues with it, pull it down and fix what was wrong, with in reason. If all people want is boss battles that have options work them in with some patches.
Yeah I'm in agreement. Don't get me wrong I think it's great that the new bosses will be more open, but I'd really appreciate a patch sorting out the bosses I'm the main game. I have no idea how they could pull it off, or if it's even possible, but I can hope right?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
That'd be like making your customers pay for a game fix that shouldn't have been an issue in the first place...

...which is probably going to happen if they release a GOTY version.

Sadly, that would also mean that they might fix some of the more hilarious bugs that shouldn't be removed.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
How cool would it be if they released a DLC that changes all boss battles into awesomeness?
That would be awesome right? Oh wait that was rhetorical wasn't it.

I actually think it's funny how much backpeddling they are doing over this. It was the worst part of the game for sure. But it wasn't horridly bad, just a little let down.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Ragsnstitches said:
Adam Jensen said:
How cool would it be if they released a DLC that changes all boss battles into awesomeness?

I actually think it's funny how much backpeddling they are doing over this. It was the worst part of the game for sure. But it wasn't horridly bad, just a little let down.
I actually agree with you. I mean, come on people, the game was 50 hours long and there were three bosses.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
got my self this game recently and so far i dint had a boss fight yet. but would be nice that you dont have to confront them if you try to be stealthy during the game.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Sweet. Now they just need to make a DLC wherein you can make out with Faridah Malik, and this game officially has everything you could ask for.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Oh this is the best strategy ever :p.
"Sell game with crappy boss fights."
"Customers complain."
"Charge customers to play good boss fights"
"???"
"Profit!!!"

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Mike Kayatta said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Adam Jensen said:

I actually agree with you. I mean, come on people, the game was 50 hours long and there were three bosses.
To tell you the truth, I didn't care much. I'd like to see better boss battles, but it wasn't a game breaking thing for me. I didn't even think about it until the second playthrough. First playthrough is always just for fun. Second one is where I notice all the things that could be improved.
Anyway, Eidos Montreal are just an awesome bunch of people. They want to give us an awesome boss battle in this DLC, and they've decided to release as many patches as it takes for the game to be perfect. That's how you show that you care about your fan base.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I am looking forward to the DLC! About the bosses, though, all you need is the Typhoon. Seriously, thats it. It will make short work of ANYTHING.