Teenager Runs Away From Home Over Call Of Duty 4

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Teenager Runs Away From Home Over Call Of Duty 4

Parents of a 15-year-old boy who ran away from home say his disappearance was precipitated by an argument over his "obsession" with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare [http://www.callofduty.com/CoDMW].

Brandon Crisp, of Barrie, Ontario, was last seen on October 13 after his parents cut him off of Call of Duty 4, police sergeant Dave Goodbrand told Xbox Live [http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20081021/barrie_teen_081021/20081021?hub=Canada] account, but so far he hasn't logged on from another location.

Crisp had become "obsessed with the game," according to Goodbrand. "Over the last couple of years, Brandon has become less involved in sports and extremely involved in Call of Duty 4," he said. "They have found him waking up in the middle of the night playing it."

Police planned to conduct a search today of the area where Crisp's yellow and black mountain bike was discovered abandoned, and have appealed to residents to search their homes and cottages for signs of the teenager, who is described as 5'2" tall and 100 pounds, with short, sandy blond hair. Anyone with information should contact the Barrie Police Department [http://www.police.barrie.on.ca/] at (705) 725-7025.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
"Over the last couple of years, Brandon has become less involved in sports and extremely involved in Call of Duty 4,"
Possibly an error on their part, but CoD4's been out less than a year.

Also, though I don't want to make light of the whole "runaway" thing, it sounds more to me like:
"Teenager has argument with parents, makes rash and foolish decision."

My bet is he's holed up with a friend somewhere.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
This is the reason we can't have nice things... or people off of our backs. Everything has to do with video games. Maybe it wasn't CoD that made him run away at all.

"What? I can't play CoD4 anymore today? Fine! Then I'm going to run away and never play it again!"

Yup, sounds logical to me.

I think the media is just trying to blame video games again.

gametaku5

Oct 21, 2008
Just another example of parents not paying enough attention to their children's games. They noticed he was either playing a CoD or WWII shooter alot, but dn't know which one. Actually, that's the genre's problem :lol:.

I don't know why it would matter to them how he spent his time if he stayed or decent shape. Playing sports, playing games, he's having fun without them.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
So the kid runs away over an argument and the media blames the game. There is no way that is a logical step. It makes no sense, the kid has issues that can't be put down to a game. It's just covering up bad parenting with stigmatism of the games industry. Again.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Amnestic post=7.74636.841021 said:
Also, though I don't want to make light of the whole "runaway" thing, it sounds more to me like:
"Teenager has argument with parents, makes rash and foolish decision."

Agreed with your first paragraph, but the worrying part that makes your second paragraph less likely is that his bike was found abandoned in a drainage ditch. I don't think he's holed up with a friend... the parents are worried [http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20081021.DUTY21/TPStory/National] that someone did the whole "Internet luring" thing by offering him a "pro" gig playing CoD4, and then grabbed the kid.

I hope they're wrong.

-- Steve

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
I doubt someone would run away from home seriously for CoD4.
Amnestic post=7.74636.841021 said:
I'll have to go with that idea. Propably hiding out at a friends place, waiting for his parents to apologize and let him play all he wants. But I might be wrong... as they say "Never underestimate the power of stupidity".

nepheleim

Sep 10, 2008
It's never underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups.

The kid is probably fine. Dumb. But okay. Either that or the media outlet that reported his running away will kidnap him in order to drive up their ratings. Should that be on the conspiracy thread?

clubhaus

Sep 18, 2008
I think it is the whole D & D media backlash all over again. Parents need to be involved in what their children are doing. It's as bad as saying "The Devil Made Me Do It!!" Blame the game but not the parents who can't even keep track of a 15 year old. Sounds logical....That odor you smell is that of sarcasm.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Agreed with your first paragraph, but the worrying part that makes your second paragraph less likely is that his bike was found abandoned in a drainage ditch.
I did think about that, then I thought about what I was like as a 15 year old kid (3 years isn't long enough to forget ;D). I'd know my parents would have alerted the police already. If they'd announced the make and colour scheme of my bike it'd be possible they'd be keeping an eye out for it. Dumping it in a direction altogether unassociated with where he was holed up would be a good feint to keep them off his trail until he gets over himself and comes back.

KittywifaMohawk

Aug 17, 2008
Damn press. They ALWAYS have to blame the games now. It's getting annoying that it's the only thing they can come up with nowadays.

It's not the games fault that he ran away(As everyone has been saying.) My guess is that he just got fed up with his parents for yelling at him again. Who cares if he plays it a little to much, he's having a good time, it doesn't matter. Let your child have a good time with whatever.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Perhaps he's using cars for cover. Have they tried shooting the cars until they explode?

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Evil Raven665 post=7.74636.841095 said:
Let your child have a good time with whatever.
As someone who was basically brought up on videogames, I do agree - but only to an extent. It should have been an absolute priority of the parents to moderate the amount of time their kid spends wasting away on such devices. And, if the accusations made in the news story are correct, it seems he has the temperament and patience of a 4 year-old anyway. They should have at least attempted tactics to halt him playing absurdly.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I'd like to congradulate the parents for at least setting boundaries- more then some parents do. We don't really know all the details and can't comment on their parenting.

I'd like to hit the kid with a stick for being stupid.

AfroNinja117

Oct 18, 2008
galletea post=7.74636.841036 said:
So the kid runs away over an argument and the media blames the game. There is no way that is a logical step. It makes no sense, the kid has issues that can't be put down to a game. It's just covering up bad parenting with stigmatism of the games industry. Again.
I agree completly

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
They're going about this all wrong, if it's all about the game, then set up a mock CoD4 championship in the area and let him go to them. If it's not about the game and was infact just an arguement with his parents, and if he hasn't been snatched (which unfortuantly is statistically a liklihood) then one would hope that he'd be smart enough to come home after he realsied its an overreactment on his part.