Red Dawn Remake Remade With Koreans

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Red Dawn Remake Remade With Koreans

The Red Dawn remake has been remade to feature North Korean invaders instead of Chinese.

The original Red Dawn [http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dawn-Patrick-Swayze/dp/0792838041/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317068515&sr=8-2] is a pure 80s classic: high school students Patrick Swayze, C. Thomas Howell, Charlie Sheen, Lea Thompson and Jennifer Grey band together to fight off Soviet invaders and make their way to "Free America." Wolverines! And in fine Hollywood fashion, somebody decided a couple years ago that it was prime material for a remake, except that this time around, because the Soviets are now the Russians and the Russians are our "friends," the invaders would be Chinese.

The movie was actually made in 2009 but never saw the light of day because MGM, after coming out of bankruptcy late that year, decided against releasing it and other studios wouldn't go near it out of fear of offending China, which has become a big market for Hollywood fodder. And so it sat, collecting dust, until some smart fellow came up with the simple but brilliant idea of digitally editing all the Chinese invaders to make them North Koreans instead!

Nobody likes North Korea, after all, and American films are forbidden in the isolated nation, which means that movie makers can say whatever they want about the country with no fear of repercussions, at least until North Korea actually does invade. The Hermit Kingdom also played the heavy in the seriously Red Dawn-esque THQ shooter Homefront [http://www.amazon.com/Homefront-Xbox-360/dp/B003Q53VZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317068754&sr=8-1], which was scripted by John Milius, the guy who wrote and directed the original Red Dawn.

The new Red Dawn stars Chris Hemsworth, aka Thor, Adrianne Palicki, Josh Hutcherson, Josh Peck, Isabel Lucas, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Connor Cruise, and is now expected to be out sometime in 2012.

Source: Los Angeles Times [http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/09/red-dawn-remake-to-come-out-next-year-from-filmdistrict.html]

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Oh come one, American film makers. Pick on countries your own size. Stop framing a starving, collapsing country as a major threat to your way of life. The North Korea issue is an old hat, and has been for several years now. There's absolutely nothing new that brings to the table, and the cold war has been over for a bit more than a couple of minutes now.

Sean Steele

Mar 30, 2010
So... we get invaded by a third world pit of nothing? Why not make it a fairer fight and say we are invaded by Thailand, or Luxembourg or Monaco... honestly its the single reason I was completely uninterested in any of those movies a nation (Especially a much MUCH) smaller nation invading America (The nation with the highest spending on a military budget. Bigger then the next thirteen combined.) Is cartoonishly stupid.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
This was announced absolutely ages ago.
Around the time Homefront came out, because I distinctly remember looking it up and having a laugh about it.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Okay, I could buy this if it were just a coalition of different countries in that area, but just North Korea?

The only reason it worked for Homefront is because it had a bulky faux history between present day and when the game takes place, which explained how the United States grew weak enough to invade. Today however, the only tangible threat they pose is their possession of nuclear weapons. So assuming this movie poses the scenario in a similar vein, how the hell is a full-scale invasion even supposed to be plausible?

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
AmrasCalmacil said:
This was announced absolutely ages ago.
Around the time Homefront came out, because I distinctly remember looking it up and having a laugh about it.
Thank you. I didn't want to be "that guy" but this is old news.

And I still think the very idea is stupid, as does everyone else, evidently.
North Korea sucks and is laughably terrible. As an enemy.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Cold War mentality plus completely unbelievable plot? What could possibly go wrong?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Monsterfurby said:
Oh come one, American film makers. Pick on countries your own size. Stop framing a starving, collapsing country as a major threat to your way of life. The North Korea issue is an old hat, and has been for several years now. There's absolutely nothing new that brings to the table, and the cold war has been over for a bit more than a couple of minutes now.
Actually, the whole buzz that was built up in the media from Homefront makes them the perfect enemy. It's a remake of a cold war era American feel good film. The theme being simply that you can't keep hard middle american working folk, or their boy scout kids down. It's a serious adventure against an enemy that reviles the way of life indicative of America at the time.

All that being said, there is no movie or video game that can be remotely in the realm of believable when it comes to a military force attacking America. So, who really cares. It's a power fantasy. It doesn't have to be a comparable enemy.

Also, that whole buzz of N.Korea having the worlds fourth largest standing military making it some kind of threat is fun because people are dumb enough to think that is what makes military might, simply having large amounts of soldiers to throw at an enemy. It's actually quite laughable really. Forget the fact their GDP is 1/18 that of S. Korea, or that there is no way that the Korean Peninsula would unite under the N. Korea banner. People eat this shit up. Ignorant stupid people, but people none the less.

Besides, have you ever seen Red Dawn, it's a great movie.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Sean Steele said:
So... we get invaded by a third world pit of nothing? Why not make it a fairer fight and say we are invaded by Thailand, or Luxembourg or Monaco... honestly its the single reason I was completely uninterested in any of those movies a nation (Especially a much MUCH) smaller nation invading America (The nation with the highest spending on a military budget. Bigger then the next thirteen combined.) Is cartoonishly stupid.
Thailand, or Luxembourg or Monaco don't have 1 million men under arm, reserve force of 8 million, the 3rd largest stockpile of chemical weapons, up to 8 nukes and are developing the ability to fire them at the continental US. That might be why even in the Bush era the US bought them off rather than launching air strikes.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Remaking Red Dawn, considering the US hasn't really in any kind of threat from communist invaders since... well... Red Dawn, seems a bit foolish. Especially when you consider the Soviets aren't the ones in Afghanistan any more, we are! D =

Now, a better idea would be to make a movie in the same vein, but rather than having the US as Afghanistan being invaded by the Soviets, having the US as Afghanistan prior to the recent invasion, with the resistance being against a fundamentalist government (look at the growing support for the tea party and tell me it couldn't happen!) that has seized power. (You know, exactly the sort of thing that happened in Afghanistan with the Taliban, and still happens in a lot of Middle-Eastern countries today)

The original movie was great because it took what was actually happening elsewhere in the world and said "what it happened in your country?", I don't see how a remake could ever be even a fraction of the original unless it asked the same question, rather than just retreading old ground.

darthmocha

Mar 28, 2011
This is just amazingly stupid. North Korea can't even feed its population, has almost no power or running water, but somehow will invade the U.S.? I mean its just ridiculous. In the U.S. having a Mercedes Benz is considered a luxury, in North Korea having a charcoal stove is considered a luxury! Just a bit of a difference.

China is the only real threat to the U.S. that would even be credible for this movie. They may have well just shelved it because no one is going to go see this.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
mysecondlife said:
American films are forbidden in N. Korea?

I thought Kim Jung Il is a film junkie

shrug*
Oh like Kim Jung Il is gonna complain about a film whereby his pathetic and literally starving nation invades and conquers the US?

And yeah, so they did in fact simply film the lame ass'ed plot of Homefront?

EasySt17

Dec 18, 2009
I thought it always was the Chinese...its so hard to tell Asians apart...Russians...Chinese...they all look the same

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
There is a teacher in my school who plays an extra in the movie. I remember him telling me about the set when I was a freshmen two years ago.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
At least make it the chinese at least thats plausable what N. korea gonna cross the pacific/supply thier troops with thier non-existant navy?