Blockade Runner Is Like Minecraft IN SPAAACE!

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Blockade Runner Is Like Minecraft IN SPAAACE!

Forget underground mining- this game is aiming for high orbit.

Described as a "First Person Adventure Space Simulator", Blockade Runner is an in-progress multiplayer game being developed by independent studio ZanMgt. Inspired by the creative sides of Minecraft and Infiniminer, players can build their own fully operational (and heavily armed) versions of the Millenium Falcon or USS Defiant block by block, adding on individual components like engines or plasma beams before venturing out into a hostile galaxy. Judging by the latest preview video, all of the objects in Blockade are fully destructible, letting players quite literally slice their opponents' ships into pieces.

According to its FAQ, Blockade Runner is being designed with co-operative multiplayer in mind, letting players team up to to crew a custom starship, and then duel against opposing teams piloting their own. Other planned features include include mining for resources, story quests and different types of playable characters. However, as with any title early in development, it may be some time before these proposed features are implemented.

You can check out a free version of the game at ZanMgt's website [http://www.blockaderunnergame.com]. If you like what you see, there is an option to pre-purchase the game for $10 USD, and get early access to new features about a month before they're included in the free version.

Source: IndieGames.com [http://indiegames.com/2011/09/trailer_blockade_runner_zanmgt.html]

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Nice, this definitely shows potential. Kinda a torn between getting this or one of the X-games now though.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
This is.. wow. It's like Shores of Hazeron meets Minecraft. Even though I can't play it until I get my main PC back in a few weeks, I guess I will buy it just to support the developers.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
The controlls based around that big wheel look absolutely horrible.
Part of the appeal of Mincraft is that you can master it's sole mechanic in about 30 seconds. (placing and picking up blocks via two clicks)

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Its cool that it isnt a Minecraft direct rival, nor a Minecraft rip-off, it just takes what is best of Minecraft and aplies it to their own game. The only sad part is that it doesnt look that good and I would like to have a character that could walk inside the ship, piloting it through the cockpit. Something more like this in terms of character navigation.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
josemlopes said:
Its cool that it isnt a Minecraft direct rival, nor a Minecraft rip-off, it just takes what is best of Minecraft and aplies it to their own game. The only sad part is that it doesnt look that good and I would like to have a character that could walk inside the ship, piloting it through the cockpit. Something more like this in terms of character navigation.
Well, it seems to be a very early version. From what I can gather, they do weekly updates and are currently around week 20 of their first release. It still has a long way to go, but it looks like this one has a lot of potential.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
When they add in actual planetary exploration I would be so goddamn happy if they let you collect, oh so tempting to say mine, resources from the landscapes and worlds to add stuff to the ship in a sort of survival mode instead of just straight up unlimited resources.

Although both modes should be present.

SmilingWorlock

Knowledge is power.
Oct 22, 2010
Whoa, that looks like what I always dream of in space-shooting-stuff-games. I'm downloading that RIGHT NOW. That's the first time I got that excited about a game since I have no idea when. I hope they can hold what you promised. :)

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
The weapons/mining beams(?) don't seem to be influenced much by the ship itself. I hope I'm wrong or they change that. If I'm getting this, I am ofcourse building a ship that's essentially just a giant energy cannon with propulsion. If that becomes possible, I'll be all over this.

Jan 27, 2011
I might actually get this....It looks like it shows promise!

I kinda liked making Gummi Ships in Kindom Hearts, so this....this could be a fun diversion!

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
I found Minecraft...bland. I hope this games gives me a better experience.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
This actually looks really good. I am definitely going to try it, probably buy it (10 bucks come on) and I'm sure love it.
Y'know, minecraft has been by far the game i got the most enjoyment out of in this last year, and i bought a few $60 AAA titles, and while this looks something like a clone, its certainly a clone with its own unique twist.
Thank you OP for posting this, you have brought a glimmer of happiness to an otherwise bleak and uninteresting day.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
it looks like a lot of fun. I'm a huge minecraft fan, and I might get this.

I'm a bit wary though, the "fund this project to make it a reality" sort of gives off the vibe that it may never get finished. I'll probably wait to buy.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Meh. Looks boring. Minecraft was tedious to me and this is just Minecraft with the ability to possess your creation and some space physics.

Interesting tactic selling beta versions though. Your game has to have real promise for that to work out since its basically selling potential. Hope that works out for them.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Cool, I hope they support joysticks. I love any excuse to break out my Saitek. I hope fighters are viable, not just dreadnaughts.

SwimmingRock said:
The weapons/mining beams(?) don't seem to be influenced much by the ship itself. I hope I'm wrong or they change that. If I'm getting this, I am ofcourse building a ship that's essentially just a giant energy cannon with propulsion. If that becomes possible, I'll be all over this.
Prepare the Wave Motion gun!

My self I'd prefer a Last Starfighter "Death Blossom" weapon.