Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded Delayed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded Delayed

Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded, an Unreal-powered remake of Duke Nukem 3D, is on hold following what sounds like a dispute between the mod makers and Gearbox.

Released in 1996, Duke Nukem 3D [http://www.amazon.com/GT-Interactive-Software-Corp-Nukem/dp/B000H9CLV0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317154211&sr=8-1] is one of the greatest first-person shooters of all time, good enough to keep hope and money for a sequel flowing for 15 years - but that's another story entirely. This story is about Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded, an Unreal Engine 3-powered remake of the classic game that got the official green light from Gearbox last year. But now, in the finest tradition of 21st-century Duke, things have hit a snag.

"After careful consideration of the progress and direction of the project, Interceptor Entertainment has decided to finish Duke Nukem: Reloaded at a future date that is yet to be determined," Project Lead Frederik Schreiber announced on DukeNukemReloaded.com [http://dukenukemreloaded.com/]. "Interceptor Entertainment still has the good will and non-commercial license provided to us to use the Duke Nukem brand for our creative ambitions. We hope to resume that work again when the time is right."

But despite that "good will," the delay is apparently rooted in the non-commercial license granted to the Reloaded team, which seemingly allows the game to be made but not necessarily released - at least not without some unknown strings attached. "You have to remember, that we don't own the game. Its done under a signed license with Gearbox Software. Which ultimately means, that we cannot do whatever we want with the project," Schreiber wrote [http://www.dukenukemreloaded.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2418#p14650].

"Its not really up to us. We have had a long conversation with Gearbox about this matter. And the fact is, that we are bound by a license. A license of an IP owned by Gearbox Software. And we can't do much about it," he continued. "But there are some conditions which we can't live with, with our license and agreement. And because of this, we have decided to put the project on hold. This might change in the future - it all depends on what Gearbox decides to do, after the DNF DLC has been released."

Schreiber clarified in a separate post that the decision to suspend development was ultimately Interceptor's, not Gearbox's, and that it had nothing to do with money. "We don't care about either official releases, Steam or any other services," he explained [http://www.dukenukemreloaded.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2418&sid=abf78f584cfd784af77f623fb8b03f64&start=40#p14756]. "We just care about getting the game in the hands of our fans - and the license didn't allow for that. Its as simple as that."

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Duke Nukem doesnt have a good history with being on time, bless it.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
If Gearbox doesn't want to piss off Duke Nukem fans (even more) then we know what they are going to say.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
You think after the fucking up Duke Forever so badly, Gearbox would want to a remake to be released, if only so people would stop talking about how bad DN:F was.

Feb 13, 2008
Enkidu88 said:
You think after the fucking up Duke Forever so badly, Gearbox would want to a remake to be released, if only so people would stop talking about how bad DN:F was.
Perhaps they don't want it released BECAUSE of how bad DN:F was.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Enkidu88 said:
Gearbox only polished up DNF, 3d realms had it 80%-90% by the time Gearbox got a hold of it.

And even then, DNF isn't as bad as everybody makes it out to be; It's okay, a 4 at the least, 6-7 at most.

It's just that our rating is is so skewed that "average" is a 7 out of 10, "okay" is a 6, "bad" is 5, etc.

Even then, It's better than most people say, not just the score, and I think that people are harshing to much on the game: It's been in devolpment for 11+ years, etc.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
LoL, Gearbox put some undesirable elements in the license just in case someone was releasing a better game then they did? Meh, I don't mind Gearbox as a company, I have liked some of their previous releases. I'm just glad it wasn't really Gearbox being dicks, but Interceptor making the decision to stop.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
4173 said:
This just in, sunrises in east and Duke Nukem game delayed.
Hehe this made me laugh xD

OT: *Yawn* i didn't even get Duke Nukem Forever, i played the demo and it was just to painful to play...

This however...meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh i might, depends on the reviews...

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I think this might be on to something. The last thing Gearbox probably wants to see released is a fan-made remake that reminds people of how goddamn awesome DN3D was, and how badly DNF suffers by comparison.

Because if you didn't play it, believe me when I say this: DN3D was awesome.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
I think this might be on to something. The last thing Gearbox probably wants to see released is a fan-made remake that reminds people of how goddamn awesome DN3D was, and how badly DNF suffers by comparison.

Because if you didn't play it, believe me when I say this: DN3D was awesome.
You don't need to tell people that DN3D is awesome, you can instantly convince them by describing the fate of the Overlord boss.
That has to be one of my favorite moments in anything ever. It's like a Mortal Kombat fatality on an intergalactic level of embarrasment.
OP: DNF DLC? Gearbox, you'd better get things straight with a trailer or two for this, or NOBODY will download it. Make a DLC mod that lets you carry more than one freaking gun at a time. Oh, and kicking. Please, bring back the kicking.
Until then, I anxiously await DN3D: Reloaded. Until then, I'll just play DN3D.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Quite sad that gearbox dont want to be shown up by a tiny dev team. Just because they made a crap game, they are withholding a game that we could directly compare with DNF and ultimately push the people who kinda liked it off the fence.

Kevon Huggins

Jan 27, 2011
Worr Monger said:
Some useful advice.... don't preorder this thing....
I am gonna pre-order
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111166-10-Year-Old-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Preorder-Honored-With-Swag
This ^^^^^^^
can happen

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
So we can expect this around 2025?

I'll just pencil that in with my retirement plans.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Enkidu88 said:
One wonders if Gearbox instead wants this to be their title as a way to make up for DNF. We will see.

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
"Interceptor Entertainment still has the good will and non-commercial license provided to us to use the Duke Nukem brand for our creative ambitions. We hope to resume that work again when the time is right." [...]
"We just care about getting the game in the hands of our fans - and the license didn't allow for that. Its as simple as that."
Worr Monger said:
Some useful advice.... don't preorder this thing....
How do you go about preordering a non commercial fan game anyway ??

The DLC might feature some classic maps of the original, which would create a conflict of interests right now. They did not terminate the project, so they certainly don't plan on making a remake in the DNF-style.
If you are a fan of the duke, you might be lucky and get your U3 remake at a later time.