Battlefield 3 Tournament to Offer $1.6 Million Prize

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Battlefield 3 Tournament to Offer $1.6 Million Prize

If you've got a friend who's really good at Battlefield, now might be the time to give them a call.

Much like Battlefield 3 Worldwide Conquest Tournament [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/3722-I-Suck-at-Call-of-Duty] in early 2012. The prize pool will be $1.6 million.

The tournament, which the organizers say will be the biggest console competition in history, will be played completely online until the live "grand finale." The prize money will be divided amongst the best players at the event.

Kurt Magnus Troedsson, General Manager of developer DICE, said that, "The Battlefield series has always been a very social experience with its best-in-class multiplayer gameplay and we're honored to have such passionate and loyal fans." He added that he thinks the tournament is "a great way to celebrate the gameplay and reward our fans."

Even if it's split amongst the winners, $1.6 million is still a life-changing amount of money. As much as we may wince at the thought of some of the players we've encountered online being empowered with this kind of cash, there's still time for us to practice.

Battlefield 3 will be released on October 25, 2011.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
I bet Gavin would be awesome at Battlefield 3 if they actually got him his code. D:

If I had enough friends with an interest in this I might actually give it a go, but sadly I don't think any of us have the time to.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Satsuki666 said:
Hevva said:
Even if it's split amongst the winners, $1.6 million is still a life-changing amount of money. As much as we may wince at the thought of some of the players we've encountered online being empowered with this kind of cash, there's still time for us to practice.
Even if it is only split five ways $1.6 million is not a life-changing amount of money. Sure you could pay off your mortgage or buy a house but that is about it.
Actually, buying a house and NOT having to pay a mortgage is actually pretty life changing IMHO.
Considering the time it took my parents to pay off their house (25 years), paying for it in one go would have saved them a lot of money down the line.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Ralen-Sharr said:
too bad it's only open to console players (PS3 and XBox only)
Well to be honest...if the console players had to go up against mouse and keyboard players I don't think it would be fair. I suspect there will be something for PC players in the future, but more then likely it will be an league run tournament.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Coreless said:
Ralen-Sharr said:
Well to be honest...if the console players had to go up against mouse and keyboard players I don't think it would be fair. I suspect there will be something for PC players in the future, but more then likely it will be a league run tournament.
How would they pit the Xbox players and PS3 players against one another? You know whoever isn't on their "home console" is going to be at a disadvantage, or at the very least they will say they were if they lose.

Put each of the 3 in their own competition, easy enough....

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Ralen-Sharr said:
Coreless said:
Ralen-Sharr said:
Well to be honest...if the console players had to go up against mouse and keyboard players I don't think it would be fair. I suspect there will be something for PC players in the future, but more then likely it will be a league run tournament.
How would they pit the Xbox players and PS3 players against one another? You know whoever isn't on their "home console" is going to be at a disadvantage, or at the very least they will say they were if they lose.

Put each of the 3 in their own competition, easy enough....
I was being facetious with that comment I guess I should have put an ":p" at the end, but what I was getting at was the skill of the players but yea...can't really play ps3 against the xbox players or PC players so impossible to judge.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I certainly hope it's a team contest. BF is a team based game after all, and it doesn't really work if everybody's going to go rambo for the money.

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
Oh great, so the Battlefield esports community is COMPLETELY NEGLECTED, again.

Actual prizes and a large-scale organized events are something we've been waiting for for ages, and now when something is finally arranged, it's for random scrubs on the consoles. Why not wait for the iseries or Dreamhack? Why not support the teams that are waiting for the next best thing after Promod?

And this from the game that promotes itself as being a true PC game.. Yea RIGHT. SHOW IT.