Epic Games: Unreal Engine 4 Likely in 2014

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Epic Games: Unreal Engine 4 Likely in 2014

If Tim Sweeney, founder of Epic Games, can be believed, gamers will see better graphics, physics, and consoles within only three years.

Epic's Unreal Engine is legendary. Since its first appearance in 1998, it's been the muscle behind some of the most graphically impressive games on the market. Titles such as Deus Ex, Bioshock, and Gears of War 3 have all been programmed and rendered using its impressive framework. With each iteration of the engine, games look and play better, so fans and developers alike should be equally excited to hear any news regarding Epic's next release. Thankfully, the team's not only working on the engine, they're working on it all the time.

"I spend about 60 percent of my time every day doing research work that's aimed at our next generation engine and the next generation of consoles," said Tim Sweeney, founder of Epic Games, during an interview with IGN. "This is technology that won't see the light of day until probably around 2014, but focusing on that horizon enables me to do some really cool things that just aren't practical today, but soon will be.

"I feel like that's what I'm doing now on Unreal Engine 4 in exploring areas of the technology nobody else is really yet contemplating because they're still a few years away from practicality," he continued, "but I see a huge amount of potential there."

Sweeney isn't just Epic's founder, he's the company's CEO, meaning he likely has more to get done before his morning coffee than most of us have to do all day. The fact that he's spending more than half of his time researching an engine still three years from use should tell you something about its importance.

Epic's reason for estimating the technology's release at 2014 stems more from current hardware caps than his company's ability to produce better graphics. According to Sweeney, making games look more realistic is "just a matter of brute force computing power and clever algorithm," something his team already knows how to do. Now it's just a matter of waiting for a console that can support it. Personally, I'm still more than fine with what my 360 and PS3 can do, so a three year wait for new consoles and graphics seems just about perfect.

Source: IGN [http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/119/1196638p1.html]

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
If the 360 and PS3 actually had enough power to support a field of view of 90, I might have some respect for their performance.
Well, they do, but tradeoffs have to be made. Texture quality, view distance, active objects, etc.

I'm already sufficiently pissed off at how horrible the pre-rendered cutscenes in Deus Ex: HR look, due to being low res.

Speaking of which, I suspect the reason competitive Battlefield 3 doesn't include PC will be the field of view settings.
If it's a game I can play on 3 monitors and effectively have eyes in the back of my head, it's a hardware advantage others can't overcome with skill.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
We think games like Mass Effect 2 and other UT3 games look great. Boy are we gonna change our mind when UT4 games come out.

SmokePants

Jun 28, 2010
This doesn't mean as much about the next generation of hardware as people are assuming. Epic always debuts their new engines with their own games and it's probably going to take 3 years for the Gears 3 team to make their next game. UE3 launched a year into the 360's life cycle.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I wonder - will UE4 have a free dev kit version?

And please, for Christ's sake, don't pull another 'no-AA-support-because-consoles-can't-handle-it' or 'engine-wouldn't-take-full-advantage-of-your-PC's-memory-because-it's-optimized-for-console-RAM', or some equivalent bullshit at launch. Use the strength of all platforms to the fullest.

Other than that, looking forward to it. Mass Effect, Arkham Assylum, Mirror's Edge, Red Orchestra, Alpha Protocol - a large number of my favorite games run on the Unreal engine.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Yay! A new generation of hardware based on todays standards....wat. I can already see the specs 8x4ghz, 3gb GPU and a staggering 6gb DDR3 for only ?/$650(but ofc we'll get fucked over again and pay even with taxes 30% more). >_>

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Mr.Tea said:
Mike Kayatta said:
Now it's just a matter of waiting for a console that can support it.
If only there was a platform on which new top-end hardware gets developed every ~18 months instead of every ~8 years...

Some kind of personal computing device with a modular hardware and software design where you can swap parts out and can even process a lot more than games...

Jesus fucking christ, companies...
That sounds like wizardry! It's forbidden knowledge.

Well, actually, Epic rejected that knowledge. Greedy bastards. I really hope next gen of consoles fails.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
Mike Kayatta said:
If only there was a platform on which new top-end hardware gets developed every ~18 months instead of every ~8 years...

Some kind of personal computing device with a modular hardware and software design where you can swap parts out and can even process a lot more than games...

I know right?

And to think, if all that fancy tech existed, all they're going to make is Gears of War...

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Mr.Tea said:
Mike Kayatta said:

Have to admit, that made me chuckle a little bit.

I keep hearing developers saying they are looking forward to the next generation of console to play new and exciting games they are thinking up. Bathesda were planning on holding back Skyrim for the next gen consoles.

All the while PC gamers are sat around, twiddling their thumbs, waiting for consoles to attempt to play catch up.

What would make life great is if just one developer made a game that took advantage of the performance a PC can dole out and released it on console when they bring one out that can handle it.

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
I am so happy that I'm not the only one here hoping for a new Unreal game. But, if you take a look at my name, I'm sure you wouldn't surprised that I want one. What? UT was the first game I ever played!

On a side note, I hope that if they *do* make another Unreal game that it'll also be for the PC, like the previous ones. After all, to *not* make it for the PC would be a disgrace and insult to... pretty much all of multiplayer gaming as a whole, now that I think about it... Anyone else think so?

Captcha: okplem controverfy.

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
Mr.Tea said:
Mike Kayatta said:

Have to admit, that made me chuckle a little bit.

I keep hearing developers saying they are looking forward to the next generation of console to play new and exciting games they are thinking up. Bathesda were planning on holding back Skyrim for the next gen consoles.

All the while PC gamers are sat around, twiddling their thumbs, waiting for consoles to attempt to play catch up.

What would make life great is if just one developer made a game that took advantage of the performance a PC can dole out and released it on console when they bring one out that can handle it.
Not a bad idea, sir! Quick, write a formal letter to Crytek NOW!

Mar 26, 2008
Gears 3 looks absolutely mint and that's running the U3 engine. I'm wondering how much more they can squeeze out of that thing. I wouldn't have thought two years worth of patches though.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Gears 3 looks absolutely mint and that's running the U3 engine. I'm wondering how much more they can squeeze out of that thing. I wouldn't have thought two years worth of patches though.
Well, think about how long Valve's been using the Source engine. Take a screenshot from Half-Life 2 (pre-Orange Box update) and compare that to Portal 2.

It's fairly jarring when you actually see how far Valve has come, and how well Source holds up even today. It's still the same exact engine, but it's gotten constant updates and newer features in the 7 years it's been used.

So yeah, Epic's on the right track, and I think Unreal Engine 3 still looks amazing, even when I look back at the older stuff like screens from UT3.

Still, Unreal Engine 4, if it's enough of a leap in technology, is welcomed by me with open arms.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
2014 eh? Good. That means hopefully the new systems wont' be out till then, giving us 3 years or so to continue with the current generation, so I don't have to dish out any cash for a few more years. If we survive 2012 I'll start saving up for it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
Well, actually, Epic rejected that knowledge. Greedy bastards. I really hope next gen of consoles fails.
Careful what you wish for. I'm not exactly thrilled with the "...and maybe we'll port it to the PC later if we don't want it exclusive and we eventually get around to it and our DRM will nail you to the wall for the privilege" mentality we're experiencing now, but given that the market for PCs as a whole is presently stumbling, a simultaneous mass console failure could see us experiencing the next Unreal engine on glorious 8" tablet screens.