UK Xbox Magazine Teases "Killer New Feature" For Mass Effect 3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
UK Xbox Magazine Teases "Killer New Feature" For Mass Effect 3

Evidence that Mass Effect 3 might actually contain multiplayer after all seems to be mounting.

British Xbox 360 magazine, Xbox World, is teasing the reveal of a "killer new feature" for Mass Effect 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Xbox-360/dp/B004FYEZMQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317645951&sr=8-2] on the front cover its latest issue. There's no clue about what this feature is, although speculation has naturally turned to the long-rumored - but not confirmed - multiplayer modes.

As you may recall, Xbox World magazine has made out that it has had important [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112121-UK-Xbox-Magazine-Teases-Mass-Effect-3-Multiplayer-Details] details before, when all it really had was rumors. However, this tease has come at the same time South African retailer indicated [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8424862/1] that the Collector's Edition of the game would contain an "online multiplayer pass." Whether or not this detail makes Xbox World's tease more credible is open for a whole lot of debate, but the timing is interesting if nothing else.

It could just be an awkwardly-worded reference to the Cerberus Pass system though, especially when you consider that it's usually only people who buy pre-owned copies that have to buy an online pass for multiplayer EA games, not those who bought the "wrong" retail copies.

It's certainly possible that BioWare has stuck multiplayer into Mass Effect 3, although it can't have failed to notice how unpopular the idea is with its biggest fans. Mass Effect 3 is a game that doesn't really need multiplayer, and while that doesn't mean that any online modes will automatically be bad, if they are included, it'll be hard to see it as anything other than EA ticking a box on a feature list.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/320878/mass-effect-3-killer-new-feature-reveal-next-month/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS] and NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31326878&postcount=1]

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Does Mass Effect already have starfighter combat?

If not, then that's what it should be. Bogeys filling the screen and tearing up space. And each other. For fun and profit.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Commence heated arguments based on wild speculation below!

My guess is this "killer new feature" is simply their way of hyping their world first exclusive look at the kinnect camera's ability to build a mongoloid version of yourself in mass effect 3.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Jetpacks. Everything is better with jetpacks.

Yeah.
Squilookle said:

If not, then that's what it should be. Bogeys filling the screen and tearing up space. And each other. For fun and profit.
This would also makes me happy. The Normandy is crying out for its very own exploration / starfighting combat mechanics á la the way the moon buggies were handled, just fly into a zone, explore for space debris and other interesting places while dealing with the occasional horde of Geth / Reapers / Space Pirates.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Squilookle said:

I've always thought they could make a pretty nifty team shooter or even an old school strategy sim in the mass effect universe if they set it on Hito. That place is begging for exploration.
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Hito

Dec 14, 2009
Multiplayer?

God, I hope not.

Why the hell does EA have to put multiplayer in everything?

I fucking hate those guys.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Maybe they are referring to the Kinect Feature. This isn't the first time that the Xbox Magazine has promised something like this that turned out to be something that was revealed months earlier.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Cue panic, rage and bile. Probably in that order.

I kinda wish the damn thing would come out, just to put an end to the assorted speculation and bitching.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
Lately it seems all BioWare is good at is EA style hype PR campaigns. Oh, and milking their old IPs to near death. :)

I assure you, the "killer" feature will turn out to be largely "meh". Specifically since it's obvious ME3 is not revolutionary in any way, by what we saw so far from very same source.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
PingoBlack said:
Lately it seems all BioWare is good at is EA style hype PR campaigns. Oh, and milking their old IPs to near death. :)

I assure you, the "killer" feature will turn out to be largely "meh". Specifically since it's obvious ME3 is not revolutionary in any way, by what we saw so far from very same source.
How is Bioware milking this franchise to death? It was planned as a trilogy of games...and this is the 3rd game.

What IP are you talking about?

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
Frostbite3789 said:
Well ... all they have.

KotOR got multiplayer tacked on and became SW:TOR, Dragon Age seems to be getting worse and worse player response as it goes along (no. 3 comming up soon) and ME3, while not even released is getting KotOR treatment if you believe the company heads.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
believer258 said:
I thought Bioware already confirmed "no multiplayer"?
I'm quite certain that they've said that at least half a dozen times. Why people still give these rumors any credibility baffles me.

PingoBlack said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Well ... all they have.

KotOR got multiplayer tacked on and became SW:TOR, Dragon Age seems to be getting worse and worse player response as it goes along (no. 3 comming up soon) and ME3, while not even released is getting KotOR treatment if you believe the company heads.
Well, let's see here. Your first argument is invalid, seeing as SW:TOR takes place in a completely different time period than KOTOR does and, being an MMO, the multiplayer is what the game is designed around. Really, the only thing the two series share is being built in the Star Wars universe.

As for Dragon Age, DA2 is, by and large, the only game Bioware has ever made where I've seen that much negative feedback. One mediocre game is not indicative of a trend. And as for Mass Effect...Bioware has stated, repeatedly, that they have no plans for multiplayer in Mass Effect 3.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Squilookle said:

This it better be this. So much fun can be had from that

Aggieknight said:
Important new feature - return to blue boobies?
Would be an acceptable alternative to the above....

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I think Bioware shot down the multiplayer rumors (and rightfully so). I ask again: how is the story? That was 2's biggest problem.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm hoping it's not shitty forgettable multiplayer and more like "Hey we saw that X-Wing and Tie Fighter games are amazing but Lucas isn't making them so we put that in ME3!"