Dutch Teens Convicted Of Virtual Theft

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dutch Teens Convicted Of Virtual Theft

Two Dutch teenagers have been convicted of theft in a case involving virtual items taken from a computer game.

The pair, aged 14 and 15, were sentenced to a total of 360 hours of community service for "coercing" a 13-year-old boy into transferring a "virtual amulet and a virtual mask" from his account to theirs in the game Yahoo News [http://www.runescape.com/]. In its ruling, the Leeuwarden District Court said, "These virtual goods are goods (under Dutch law), so this is theft."

refused [http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=265299] to look into the case of a player who lost all his items and in-game currency after his Final Fantasy XI account was broken into. Despite having a real-world value of about $3800, the police said "game points were 'devoid of monetary value'," and thus no actual theft had taken place.

There is one potentially mitigating factor in the Dutch case that may have helped the courts reach their decision, however. The virtual theft was preceded by a real-life ass-kicking: The two thieves beat up their victim and threatened him with a knife.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Its intellectual property, but theoretically its an asset of RuneScape, not the boy. Its an unprecedented hearing, but really, these kids are barely into their teens and seem to be just mucking about. Its not as if having items in RuneScape is the epitome of skill or effort or anything, really. Still, this is probably a decent ruling in terms of both putting the boys back on the right track to morality, as well as setting an example for the scammer community.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
The two thieves beat up their victim and threatened him with a knife.
I get the feeling the case may be more centred around this part rather than the theft of two runescape items.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Amnestic post=7.74824.847917 said:
I get the feeling the case may be more centred around this part rather than the theft of two runescape items.
Couldn't agree more.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Gxas post=7.74824.847921 said:
Amnestic post=7.74824.847917 said:
Couldn't agree more.
Indeed... even if they didn't qualify under theft statutes surely they were under extortion statues, right?

(Nice forum you have here. It'd be a shame, y'know, if something... happened to it, understand?)

-- Steve

rob_d

Jul 20, 2008
What people tend to forget is that actual money (coins and notes) are just as virtual in worth as online virtual items.

In this case the court decided correctly.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
I do not sympathise for the loss of virtual items (a mask and amulet if my short term memory serves me well) and believe that it's simply a risk of playing MMORPG's...sooner or later someone is going to be after your gear/money.

I am largely concerned with the part that detailed the threats with a knife (this is in fact a serious crime rather than petty gamer behavior).

I would treat both parts of the incident as seperate and deal with them accordingly.

Ronmarru

Aug 17, 2008
rob_d post=7.74824.848351 said:
What people tend to forget is that actual money (coins and notes) are just as virtual in worth as online virtual items.
I agree that the items themselves are worthless bits of data, but the true value comes from the work done to get them. If someone wants to pay for something then that item has value. If you want a grain of sand badly enough to pay for it then that worthless grain now has real world value. It's the same way with actual money: Say everyone gets paid for doing nothing. Since no work was done to get the money, it becomes worthless, and vice versa.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
but the true value comes from the work done to get them
As our friendly neighbourhood goblins are quick to remind us...

Time is money, friend

LiquidSteel

Oct 23, 2008
I believe that the 'theft' (virtual theft) in Runescape being taken to court and the kids being given community service is a world gone mad. It is a game! If the boy was so scarred but such an act in a game, then when he gets out into the real world he is going to be wetting his pants every five minutes.

But the knife attack just shows how low people will stoop over online gaming, and makes you think how sad the world is truly becoming.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Regardless of the knife incident, this sets a precedent for future cases... in my opinion, a 'landmark' case in VOs.

ErinHoffman

Sep 6, 2006
Iron Mal post=7.74824.848541 said:
I would treat both parts of the incident as seperate and deal with them accordingly.
Yes, this particular case was independent from the physical threat, it was ruling solely on the value of the goods stolen. They are treating them separately, and so this is definitely a notable case, though it's not the first time the justice system in the Netherlands has taken action over virtual property:

http://www.virtualworldsnews.com/2007/11/dutch-police-ar.html

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
It comes as absolutely no surprise to me that Runescape was somehow involved here. Worst community EVER.