Sony Online Delays PAYDAY: The Heist

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Sony Online Delays PAYDAY: The Heist

Bad news for would-be robbers: PAYDAY: The Heist has been bumped back to a nebulous "later this month."

A quick primer on the inexplicably capital-heavy PAYDAY: The Heist: The game is a squad-based multiplayer shooter that tasks groups of players with pulling off high-profile robberies while wearing increasingly silly masks. Robbing banks, swiping diamonds; imagine all the parts of Point Break that didn't involve Gary Busey, Anthony Kiedis or Lori Petty, and you have a relatively solid idea of what the game is going for.

Needless to say, that's a pretty awesome premise for a videogame, especially one available for $20 as a PlayStation Network downloadable title.

Now that I've properly hyped you, let's discuss the delay. Sony Online Entertainment offers the following explanation:

This delay is a move to ensure players and fans of our promise and vision to produce high-caliber games that deliver the best quality game experience.

Standard boiler-plate response. We should have expected that.

That doesn't worry me. Sony tends to offer those sorts of responses every chance it gets. It's like a meme for the company at this point.

What does worry me is the complete lack of a new release date. The closest we get to any sort of confirmed release window is a line that claims the game "will be available for digital download for the PSN and PC systems later this month."

If we're that close to the release date, why can't SOE quite nail down which day will see the game's debut?

I have no real information on what's going on here, so I invite you all to speculate wildly. For my part, I've got fingers crossed that SOE needs just a bit more time to properly model the game's Ronald Reagan mask.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I'm excited for the game, I hear it's very tactical, which is rare in shooters these days.
If we're gonna speculate on the delay reason, I'd blame it on inexperience of the devs (as far as I know). It's pretty hard to predict release dates and it's probably just a miscalculation.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Whew, I watched the teaser you guys had posted and I was like wtf is this. It looks like shit and look like it handles even worse, ohhh 20 dolla. Okayyy works for me.

Camarilla

Jul 17, 2008
It's been delayed because the certification process is taking too long. The game's done, but Sony are still certifying it.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
OMG SONY ARE SO EVIIIIIILLLLLL I'M NEVER BUYING FORM THEM AGAIN!!!11!
Sorry, that's just what the reaction seems to have been in other corners of the internet.

But anyway, you have just informed me of this game, and i'm pretty hyped!
:D
This delay is fine by me though, i can wait :)

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Ser Imp said:
Unfortunately there seems to have been a hold-up in production.
Why is there always a pun within the first three posts of a news story? Did Hankman curse the Escapist?

OT: I'm sad. I preordered it on Steam 'cause it looked really cool. D:

Ah well. I guess I have Dark Souls to kick me in the nads until it comes out.

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
Ser Imp said:
Unfortunately there seems to have been a hold-up in production.
Are you proud of yourself? Did you think before posting that or did you actually pre-plan it?

No, I won't tell you which one earns you the more severe flannelling.