No iPhone 5 Announced, 4S Goes Sprint

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
No iPhone 5 Announced, 4S Goes Sprint

Apple did not announce a completely new phone, just a redesign of an old one.

For months - nay, years - tech pundits have been predicting an iPhone 5. It's the natural progression from the hugely successful iPhone 4. If I learned anything from Sesame Street, the number five comes after the number four after all. Apple wants to buck the natural sequence of numbers, apparently, by claiming that 4S is what actually comes next. The new handset bearing the 4S moniker looks the same on the outside, but has all new innards. Also, it will run on Sprint networks, joining AT&T and Verizon as wireless providers that iPhone users can blame when their expensive cell phone doesn't work.

The only aspect of the announcement made in Cupertino, California today on 4 Infinite Loop that was a pleasant surprise was the massive reduction in prices. You can pick up a 16GB version for $199 and 32GB for just $299 while a new 64GB model will set you back 4 big ones - $399. Fanboys can start preordering iPhone 4Ss on October 7th and Apple promises to start shipping them on October 14th. If you don't care about the latest technology, you will be able to get the iPhone 3 free of charge with most two year contracts while the regular iPhone 4 will only cost $99.

The new phone has some sweet specs with a dual-core A5 CPU paired with a dual-core GPU that increases graphics performance sevenfold. The wraparound antenna that plagued iPhone users with dropped calls has been revamped with a redundant system that will switch based on how the phone is held. The camera is boosted up to 8-megapixels and shoots 1080p video. Perhaps most impressive is that the speed of booting up the camera app only takes 1.1 seconds and sequential shots can taken half a second apart.

There's also a thing that let's you talk to your phone called Siri which pretty much assures that everyone sitting next to you on the bus will think you're crazy.

Even though the details of the iPhone 4S all sound great and the price drop coupled with more choice in service providers are all complaints that people have had with Apple (myself included), that's just not enough for Apple fans. The feeding frenzy for the iPhone 5 was reaching fever pitch as the day for the conference approached. With no completely new device to obsess over, the internet is disappoint.

It's also hard not to consider that this is the first major Apple announcement without Steve Jobs, who stepped down as CEO earlier this year. Is the new Apple all about not delivering what its fans crave? Or is the new guy Tim Cook asserting himself by saying that announcing products that people want is Jobs thing?

Either way, I expect Apple's stock to drop. [http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AAPL]

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/04/iphone-4s-officially-announced-with-a5-cpu/]

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
... I've never understood the qualifications atech story needs to get covered on this site. There was nothing on the Kindle Fire, nothing (except for one article in passing) on Windows 8, yet the iPhone 4S is news worthy?

Uh, okay. I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

Slythernite

Jan 25, 2009
Well. I was hoping that my new phone would be an iPhone 5, but it looks like I might be going with a Droid instead.

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
Stall said:
... I've never understood the qualifications atech story needs to get covered on this site. There was nothing on the Kindle Fire, nothing (except for one article in passing) on Windows 8, yet the iPhone 4S is news worthy?

Well people such as myself were watching rapt with attention at the Telegraphs live updated feed from the Apple announcement. Another OS I couldnt give a rats testicle about and I read on my iPhone what would I want a kindle for?

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
I like this announcement.

It's making me laugh at all the people I know who went out within the last month and got the iphone 4 model and paid more for it than they could have paid for this newer model.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Stall said:

My guess? The iPhone is an important gaming platform. Also people like iPhones. I'm also sure there have been at least 3 or 4 stories on Windows 8 rumours.

OT: this looks quite cool. my iPhone still has a while left on contract so if I get a new model it'll be the model after this one most likely.

Since it's on sale 14th I can assume the iOS 5 update will be out before then?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Ser Imp said:
Valkyira said:
Ser Imp said:
Well with the improved specs, you can't say they're just phoning it in.
Thanks :) but you're gunna need to add an actual statement.
And quickly!
Its feeding time for the mods...

OT: Wasn't the last one released like a month ago, or was that an i pod? Oh all this new fangled tech is so similar :(

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
The 12th of October is when we head off into the cloud, never to return ;-)

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
Slythernite said:
Well. I was hoping that my new phone would be an iPhone 5, but it looks like I might be going with a Droid instead.
Since 7X the graphics power, dual-core processor, twice the storage, the SIRI artificial intelligence, and a considerably more powerful camera (to mention a few) is a greater upgrade than many previous iPhone updates, as well as many Droid follow-ups, it sees a bit peculiar that the lack of a "5" in the model name should prevent you from purchasing one...

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
I was going to criticize Apple for not releasing iPhone 5, but then I realized that I'm getting myself 4S anyway. Oh well.

Slythernite

Jan 25, 2009
Ayjona said:
Slythernite said:
Since 7X the graphics power, dual-core processor, twice the storage, the SIRI artificial intelligence, and a considerably more powerful camera (to mention a few) is a greater upgrade than many previous iPhone updates, as well as many Droid follow-ups, it sees a bit peculiar that the lack of a "5" in the model name should prevent you from purchasing one...
I meant that the specs on this were slightly less interesting than I was anticipating, I was going to see if I could find a rival or alternative.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
And what's the difference between this and an iPhone 5 except the name? Why not just call it that and avoid all the fanboys complaining?
Meh, I don't care, I'm an Android man.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Battery life on that thing sounds terrible, are all iphones that bad? Quite surprised they've changed the numbering system as well, guess we won't be seeing an iphone 723 that is pretty much the same as the first one.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
The newsies here are people, not robots. They just post what they find.
But news on the Kindle Fire was everywhere. I mean, it was on the front page of my city's newspaper for fucks sake! It's hard to believe that they couldn't find ANYTHING on the Kindle Fire when it probably was the single biggest news story that day. I mean... HOW?!

thenumberthirteen said:
My guess? The iPhone is an important gaming platform. Also people like iPhones. I'm also sure there have been at least 3 or 4 stories on Windows 8 rumours.
But isn't Windows 8 an even more important gaming platform? So why wouldn't they do some in-depth coverage of Windows 8 when there was a MASSIVE deluge of information on it a monthish back? And don't people really like Windows since they use it to play GAMES? I can't quite buy this rationalization.

I'm not trying to argue with you. I just find this all... perplexing. The criterion they use to judge if tech news is important is just bewildering.

Esotera said:
Battery life on that thing sounds terrible, are all iphones that bad? Quite surprised they've changed the numbering system as well, guess we won't be seeing an iphone 723 that is pretty much the same as the first one.
Apple said the battery life was 14 hours. That's really good :O

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Ayjona said:
thenumberthirteen said:
The 12th of October is when we head off into the cloud, never to return ;-)
Neat. My trip to Italy last week really made me realise how bloody useful being able to access the camera from the lock screen would be.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I'm okay with this news. I just got my iPhone 4 a year ago, so I still have a while left on my contract.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Esotera said:
Yeah, I've got an iPhone 4 and the battery life isn't great. I've got a case that has extra battery in it, but it's a bit chunky.

I do like it though, I prefer it to Android phones too[sub]Don't look at me like that![/sub]. I guess I might get one of these in the spring depending on how my phone is holding up.

ChocoCake

Nov 23, 2008
Slythernite said:
I'm thinking the same for myself... My current iPhone 3g has been giving me all kinds of shit recently and I was really hoping for iPhone 5. Waited all summer.
Now I just need to figure out whats the best droid in Canada...