DICE Threatens Bans For Playing on Modded Battlefield 3 Servers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
DICE Threatens Bans For Playing on Modded Battlefield 3 Servers

DICE has warned that Battlefield 3 players who play on unofficial servers could end up having their Origin accounts banned and losing all the games attached to it as a result.

If you're playing the Battlefield 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-3-Limited-Pc/dp/B002I0HJZO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1317759390&sr=8-3] beta, you might want to take care with which servers you click on. The server files leaked out last week - quelle surprise - and that's allowed gamers to set up servers in whatever configuration they like. One such setup ratchets the maximum number of players in the Operation Metro map from 32 to more than 100.

Sounds like fun, but beware! According to Battlelog user Bazajaytee, who is apparently an associate producer [http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/members/378403-bazajaytee.html] at DICE, those who stray onto unofficial servers could face serious repercussions, including the loss of all games attached to their Origin account.

"We are aware that a number of servers have appeared and are running game modes and player counts that have not currently been seen," he wrote [http://i.imgur.com/mfoQW.png], explaining that official servers run only the Operation Metro Map in Rush mode with 32 players. "Please avoid temptation and remain on these official servers while we work to have these servers dealt with. Playing on those [unofficial] servers can cause your account to become compromised, stats to be altered or other issues to arise which may lead to having your account banned by EA."

In a follow-up post, he clarified, "If your account gets banned it does mean any EA game on your account would also be unavailable."

Harsh, eh? Origin isn't the only digital service that can take your toys away for breaking the rules - I would assume they all can - but it's not the sort of stick that usually gets swung with such enthusiasm. I don't know about you but when I'm browsing servers, I look at ping and population and go where the action is; could I be banned because I didn't pay enough attention to my choice of battlefield? It probably won't ever actually happen, but just threatening to relieve gamers of every EA-registered game they own for what is undeniably a relatively minor infraction of the rules is a terrible way to treat your fans and potential customers.

Source: Edge [http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ky3yi/battlefield_3_server_files_leak_modded_servers/]

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I haven't been enjoying the Battlefield 3 beta anyway, so I'll probably go on one of those modded servers soon.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
DICE has warned that Battlefield 3 players who play on unofficial servers could end up having their Origin accounts banned and losing all the games attached to it as a result.
Yes, that's really gonna scare a lot of people. /sarcasm

Most people only use Origin because it is a necessity for the Battlefield 3 beta.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
AnarchistFish said:
How are you supposed to know which is which?
Very simple, in the Beta the only map is Operation Metro, Rush, 32 player cap.

Any other map, mode or player cap, don't play it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Its not like EA is above this at all. There was the one guy on the Bioware Social Network who got locked out of all his games for a time because he made a remark concerning his disdain for EA.

Of course, keeping them on official servers is so that they can manage to track people's stats, because as we all know, your rank is more important than having fun!

StrixMaxima

Sep 8, 2008
Imagine that. The threat of having their ORIGIN ACCOUNTS banned! Now that was a cheap shot, DICE.

LordMithril

Jul 10, 2010
So.. they are punishing people for helping them stress test their game.
uhm.. When did that become a bad thing?

EA: This game supports 32 players max.
Community: eh if we change this file here it runs with 128 people without a problem.
EA: NO BAD COMMUNITY, YOU ARE RUINING OUR GAME!!

That's how it sounds to me.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Well, since Steam can do the exact same thing, it's not surprising. I think that most programs similar to the two that keep all your games so you can redownload them make it so you lose access to all of your games if you screw up. The ones that you just download the game but not any underlying system can't do the same, though they can stop you from redownloading it if you delete it from your system.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
AnarchistFish said:
How are you supposed to know which is which?
Very simple, in the Beta the only map is Operation Metro, Rush, 32 player cap.

Any other map, mode or player cap, don't play it.
oh that simple

cool, thanks

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
You mean a game franchise supported by mods, having ideas from mods being USED in this game, and supported by modders (errr well it used to) is banning people who play with mods? Good idea DICEA, i'm sure your revenue will go up when word gets out that you can't play desert combat B3 or whatever the most popular mod is.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
LordMithril said:
So.. they are punishing people for helping them stress test their game.
uhm.. When did that become a bad thing?

EA: This game supports 32 players max.
Community: eh if we change this file here it runs with 128 people without a problem.
EA: NO BAD COMMUNITY, YOU ARE RUINING OUR GAME!!

That's how it sounds to me.
Because, really, they don't need their game stress tested. This is a time-limited demo in all but name. Most likely, all the actual beta shit has been done months before. The most likely issue here is that when the game is finally released, people may still be able to host the beta servers, thus meaning that people can play BF3 for free if they can get hold of the "open beta" version. It'll be limited to one map, but it'll still be free. And EA probably don't want that.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Oh, EA. You just keep thinking of new and interesting ways to make me not want to give you any of my money.