SpaceChem Joins the Humble Frozen Synapse Bundle

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
SpaceChem Joins the Humble Frozen Synapse Bundle

The Humble Frozen Synapse Bundle gets even bigger and badder with the addition of SpaceChem, an open-ended puzzle game about fake chemistry.

The thing about Humble Bundles is that no matter how awesome they are when they launch, they're inevitably even more awesome by the time they're over. Other developers get in on the action, bonus stuff gets tossed onto the pile and before you know it, a cool package at a great price has transformed into the best damn deal ever, at least until the next Humble Bundle comes out.

So it is with the SpaceChem [http://www.humblebundle.com/], an odd-looking but well-regarded puzzle game in which you use waldos to manipulate atoms in the name of science! There's also apparently some monster fighting action. It sounds weird but it actually looks very cool.

On top of that, somebody at some point added Trauma [http://www.traumagame.com/] to the mix, a development I managed to completely miss. Trauma is a "unique photographic experience" that lets players "dive into the mind of a traumatized young woman to learn and understand." Trauma is even harder to nail down than SpaceChem but looks like it might be a pretty groovy ride for people with a taste for original, indie games.

Demos are available for SpaceChem and Trauma but you can snag both of them, plus the rest of the bundle, for less than five bucks, so why would you even bother? Just lay down the fin and get the full versions of everything. It's the best damn deal ever! At least until the next Humble Bundle comes out.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
It honestly seems like the Humble Bundle hates me. Don't get me wrong, I love what they're doing. But lately I've been trying sell my spare games/items for stuff. The day before the new bundle came out, I was trying to sell FS to someone and ended up delaying it to make up my mind due to it being a CD key I was trading for. When I woke up, BOOM! My copy was worthless.

Yesterday I crafted the Fishcake and Spacechem Pin you can get from Spacechem in hopes of trading them (they go for around $10 total). I was about to trade them both for pretty good prices and then BAM! They throw that in today and defeat my chances of getting a decent price for the items that were worth a lot more for months before today. >_<

Whining aside, it's still a good game. Anyone who doesn't get the bundle should get it if they can. Plus, it helps charity. Just don't do like some people are doing, buying copies for one cent then selling them for one scrap of TF2 metal to make a profit and screw over the developers.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Space chem is soooo goooooood. Except I'm the only one on the whole planet who thinks so. Its sad.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
castlewise said:
Space chem is soooo goooooood. Except I'm the only one on the whole planet who thinks so. Its sad.
From what I've played of it, I thought it's good. Though it has the problem of all puzzle games in that I get frustrated and stop playing if I get stuck on a puzzle. I don't want to look the answers up online anymore either. So that's out too.

Though I do have to wonder why they called it the 'humble frozen Synapses bundle' if they were going to throw more games in like this. Not that I'm complaining mind you. It just seems a bit... odd.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Paid 30 for all of it and chose to distribute it evenly among The developers and charity, also some as Humble tips.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Been playing for the last 2 hours or so.
Really good game, I like puzzle games usually but this one I really enjoyed.

The first level where you have to make multiple reactors that all work together just feels good to complete.

Feb 13, 2008
Got, got, got, got..SpaceChem I played once and loathed (personal)...but Trauma I like...

But I've already got the rest of this year sorted for games...oh decisions, decisions...

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
castlewise said:
Except for all the rave reviews it got, the fact that it sold well for an indie game, and everybody I know that's played it, yes, nobody else likes it.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
bojac6 said:
castlewise said:
Except for all the rave reviews it got, the fact that it sold well for an indie game, and everybody I know that's played it, yes, nobody else likes it.
Heh. You're not wrong. It just seems like whenever I try to get a friend to play (and I've showed it to every one of my friends) they are like "you would like that game" and then they go find something else to do. So nobody in my personal world likes the game except me :p

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
castlewise said:
Heh. You're not wrong. It just seems like whenever I try to get a friend to play (and I've showed it to every one of my friends) they are like "you would like that game" and then they go find something else to do. So nobody in my personal world likes the game except me :p
I have to echo this sentiment. I bought Spacechem for 10e when it was new, and was completely blown away by its awesomeness. I spent over a week playing nothing but it, but despite this I couldn't really get anyone else interested in it except for one of my old WoW friends who got curious from the steam notification.