DC Reboot Sells Like Super-Powered Hotcakes

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
DC Reboot Sells Like Super-Powered Hotcakes

The reboot may have offended purists, but DC's laughing all the way to the bank.

DC's total reboot of all its comic lines has been controversial, to say the least. It re-launched obscure characters in their own titles. It got rid of both <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111885-DC-Reboot-Leads-To-Protest-At-Comic-Con>Superman's and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112865-DC-Reboot-Leaves-Flashs-Marriage-In-The-Dust>Barry Allen's marriages. Oh, and it even garnered a (admittedly weak) protest at Comic-Con. But you know what? <a href=http://www.the-gutters.com/comic/181-ian-navarro>It's also been selling like crazy.

According to the New York Times, DC's new comics have been selling exponentially better than it has been in recent years. The first issue of the new Justice League line sold more than 200,000 copies (as opposed to the 46,000 copies it would average prior to the reboot). On top of that, nine other comics are selling roughly twice as well as they did before, moving more than 100,000 copies; amongst these series are Action Comics, Batgirl, and The Flash.

In case you're unaware, these are huge numbers. DC Comics hasn't hit milestones like them in years, so clearly the reboot is paying off, at least in the short run. Whether these sales numbers were a flash in the sales pan or marked the beginning of a new comic fan generation remains to be seen. On top of all this, these numbers are only for the print sales; DC has yet to announce its digital sales totals. One thing's for certain, though: Purists who hated the reboot when it was announced seem to have been drowned out by the sounds of ringing cash registers.

Source: <a href=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-comics-selling-more-renumbering-242863?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+THRComicCon+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Heat+Vision%29>The Hollywood Reporter

<a href=http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=224:superman-enemy-of-capitalism&catid=28:superdickery&Itemid=54>Image Source

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
I side with MovieBob on this one: The impressive sales figures are not so much the result of a bold new direction, but moreso because they're advertising the shit out of it. They're selling better because they're getting a lot of press outside of the usual places and reaching new people.

That being said, has anyone here read any of the new stuff? How is it?

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
I'm very interested in grabbing a few of these issues to check them out. It'd be nice to see an update of mythos, because you know many things that were acceptable back then (see wonder woman being tied up by a man in about every issue) needed to be changed.

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
Are these the first new issues, though? Wouldn't the desire to get comics that say "#1" on them explain some of these sales? I doubt they usually have this many #1s coming out at once, ie, all of them.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
I'm more curious what those sales figures are like in around December. I'm willing to bet they won't be half of that.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Well, I read Action Comics #1 and loved it. Hope to read more, but I'm poor and can rarely afford comics. $3 a month shouldn't be too hard though...

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I'm still trying to find whatever issue that supposed "new" Starfire is in. I'd like to....."investigate".....certain "claims".

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
I'm still trying to find whatever issue that supposed "new" Starfire is in. I'd like to....."investigate".....certain "claims".
I also heard about that not even beind a comic-fan. (did like the show Teen Titans so I was interested) and then I found out the reboot of starfire made her a slut.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Well I've done my part ;)

Paragon Fury said:
See the one that says Red Hood? See the purple energy? :p

InsanelyZanter

Aug 8, 2010
If anyone here is not aware, the content of this reboot has been a hot topic in the webcomics/indie community.

I present one link showcasing the poor writing and direction. http://www.shortpacked.com/2011/comic/book-13/04-remedial-adulthood/math/

And one showing that a webcomic artist, unsigned to any company, can make a more compelling, logical, and solid reboot of DC heroes then the current writers are doing.

While on his free time and managing his own comic.

In the space of a blog post.

http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/10979241054/rebooting-the-justice-league

This surge of sales is only due to the big flashy #1 on the cover. I predict it will plummet down to normal. Or even below, now that they pissed off all the old readers and basically just started putting the same content out again.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
This just in... profit.
I don't read comics, since theres nowhere around me to get them I know of. I'd probably pick up on one if I could.

But when I heard awhile back here that they were doing this. I had no doubt it would be anything but a huge success. I was correct on my assumption.

So good for DC, now I ponder where they'll bring the characters since they got a road stretching to the horizon to work with.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Korten12 said:
Paragon Fury said:
I also heard about that not even beind a comic-fan. (did like the show Teen Titans so I was interested) and then I found out the reboot of starfire made her a slut.
Wait...what? Explain please. The Titans are the only ones I follow out of the DC universe, and I haven't heard anything about any of them yet. Did they do anything to Raven?

I'll be picking up the trade paperbacks. Not a fan of comic books, but I like the collections.

Oct 30, 2010
I was pleasantly surprised by a few of the #1s: Demon Knights, Aquaman, Animal Man, All-Star Western, OMAC, Batwing, Frankenstein.

Others I expected to be good were: Ressurection Man, Action, Batman, Wonder Woman

Pleased Tomasi didn't fuck up Damian in the first issue.

Whether any of this caries over to this month remains to be seen.

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
FaceFaceFace said:
Are these the first new issues, though? Wouldn't the desire to get comics that say "#1" on them explain some of these sales? I doubt they usually have this many #1s coming out at once, ie, all of them.
You could call this an Uber-Trifecta for the canny profit-minded "collector" (and DC).

You score 1 of each for yourself to enjoy a few times before it gets stashed in your steamer trunk.

You score 1 of each which promptly gets shrink-wrapped and stays in perfect condition in a humidity-controlled vault until doomsday - or until the value of said books rises to meet your monetary tipping-point.

Plus, since these are all part of a grand 'reboot' story arc, 1 of each which get accumulated and stay together, and eventually sold together in a mouth-watering Ebay bonanza.

Personally, I do understand the draw to comic books. I'm a fan of 'Groo the Wanderer'.
But the bottom line is you're trading legal tender for paper, hoping that it constitutes an 'investment'.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
So, takin' bets... which series is the first to go?

It pains me to say this, because I've heard itwas good, ut... I don't see Wingman lasting long.