Steve Jobs Has Died

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Steve Jobs Has Died

The man who revolutionized the way we define phones, music, and mobile computing, has died less than two months after stepping down as Apple's CEO.

Most people who visit Apple's homepage expect to find announcements of innovative products, services, and promotions. Sadly, on the day of its co-founder's death, they were faced solely with the following simple message: Steve Jobs, 1955-2011.

Further within Apple's site, the company also posted a more personal goodbye. "Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being," it read. "Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple."

Jobs had been struggling with failing health for years prior to his untimely death at only fifty-six years old. In 2004, he underwent surgery for a rare form of pancreatic cancer. Five years later, in 2009, he received a liver transplant during a six-month-long medical leave of absence. Then, in August of 2011, he stepped down as CEO of Apple. "I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know," he'd said. "Unfortunately, that day has come." Though his resignation hadn't been announced as health-related, those words led many to believe that his recent turbulent medical history had been finally catching up with him.

Though the official cause of death has been yet to be reported, his wife has come forward with a brief statement. "[He] died peacefully today surrounded by his family," she said. "We know many of you will mourn with us, and we ask that you respect our privacy during our time of grief."

With more money than possible to spend in a lifetime, it's amazing to me that Steve Jobs spent his final years hard at work for Apple, and the millions of tech-consumers that patronize it, instead of resting quietly on the beach of an apple-shaped private island. Then again, I suppose some people just aren't built that way. "Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life," Jobs once said to a group of Stanford graduates in 2005. "Because almost everything-all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure-these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important."

If you would like share thoughts, memories, or condolences for Jobs' passing, Apple encourages you to email: [email protected]

Source: Associated Press [http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_APPLE_JOBS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT]

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Im surprisingly upset about this, and I hate Apple, I guess he was just a good person.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Although I'm no fan of later Apple products, I grew up with our old Macintosh running Mac OS 7.1 back in the day when noone I knew had ever heard of "Macintosh" before. This man changed that, not only giving Apple a real good facelift and commercial success, but also keeping up the competition with Microsoft and Unix based systems.
I take my non-existing hat off to this man I never knew.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Poor guy, I don't give a crap about Apple and it's products (since they are scheit), but a death at such an early age is never good. My condolences to his family and friends.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
Im surprisingly upset about this, and I hate Apple, I guess he was just a good person.
That's pretty much the same in terms of this. While I may not like Apple, I do have to respect Jobs for working so hard, especially in the years when he was dealing with the illness. I know I likely would have bought my own private apple-shaped island and relaxed during the last years of my life.

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
He really was Apples visionary, god knows the company would be nothing today without him.

bbad89

Jan 1, 2011
Was surprised to see it took this long to post this.
It is a sad story though :( XKCD made a memorial.
http://xkcd.com/

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Wow. I didn't even know he was sick. I don't really know what to say. I'm not a big Apple product user, though I have liked what I've used, like the iPhone. This is a sad day for Apple, his family, and consumers.

Apr 28, 2008
I've always hated Apple. But... I've always respected Steve Jobs for all he's done.

Rest in piece Steve. Lord knows you've earned it.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
Well, I can't say I'm devastated for two reasons: 1) I don't like Apple. 2) He had cancer, so it's not like this is completely unexpected. But I did always think that he was a icon, almost more recognizable then the Apple logo itself. So it's probably a good thing that he stepped down, because if this would have happend while he still was CEO, the blow would have been much bigger.
We won't forget him.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Even though I'd never buy an Apple product in my life, it is still sad to see someone as brilliant pass away, especially that early.

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
Although I hate Apple... I cant help felling slightly depressed....

Guess that's what you get when Gods whats an iPhone 5 and you give him a slightly faster iPhone 4...

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
out of Any of the ways to go, id have to say Peacefully At home with your Family by your side has to be one of the better ways to leave this world of ours

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
May he rest in peace, his innovations might have been hated by me (because of apple incompatibility with what I have) but he still was putting his ideas forth sculpting the evolution of technology.

sheogoraththemad

Feb 6, 2010
Even if I didn't like most of his products, It's still sad to see a technological genius is gone.
May he rest in peace

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
imnotparanoid said:
Same here. I despise MacBooks and the iMac but iPods and iPhones are completely different for me. Steve Jobs was the father of modern portable media players and revolutionized portable devices with the miniature-micronisation of electrical components that all iPods and iPhones have in them. Plus he was a nice fellow who died too early.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs [http://www.apple.com/au/]