Control Your Xbox With Your Phone

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011

If your controller, Kinect, and universal media remote are out of reach, there's still one more way to navigate media on your 360.

Microsoft is backwards [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8303-Review-Kinect-and-Launch-Titles] to make the Xbox 360 as user-friendly as possible, so get ready for another feature to make Xbox navigation foolproof. Today, Microsoft announced the Xbox Companion app for Windows 7 Phones, which will allow users to control media on their 360s without ever having to pick up a controller (or gesture, or use a remote).

The Xbox Companion app promises a three-tiered approach to navigating content: Find, Learn, and Control. Like the 360 dashboard, the Xbox Companion app allows users to search for music, movies, and TV, or choose from a list of featured titles. The "Learn" segment suggests an IMDB-like experience, where users can discover actors' filmographies, similar titles, and production details. Finally, the app automatically activates the desired content on the 360, allowing the user to put the phone down and simply watch or listen.

Longtime gamers may be confused by this app, as it serves a function that at least three other peripherals already fulfill. However, as <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Susan+Arendt>Susan Arendt was quick to point out, a controller is a sophisticated piece of technology with a lot of unfamiliar buttons. Not every Xbox comes with a Kinect. A universal media remote costs extra money. Many users don't have Windows 7 Phones, either, but those who do already know how to use them. For these consumers, using their phones to turn a game console into an entertainment center is easier than learning a whole new button configuration. When it releases ("soon," according to Microsoft), the app will be free, so jaded controller-junkies and hardened Kinectophiles can give it a sound thrashing (or be pleasantly surprised) at no charge.

Source: Windows Phone Blog [http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2011/10/05/control-your-xbox-with-your-windows-phone-using-the-xbox-companion-app.aspx]

Mar 29, 2008
Control your xbox with your phone, well not YOUR phone, or yours over there, a little less than 5% of everyone with a smart phone can control their xbox with their phone.

Or at least, allegedly will be able to sometime "soon."

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Good news for those who have an xbox and a windows phone but not a kinect, universal controller not a regular controller at reach.

Marcus Thomas

Sep 24, 2010
smv1172 said:
Control your xbox with your phone, well not YOUR phone, or yours over there, a little less than 5% of everyone with a smart phone can control their xbox with their phone.

Or at least, allegedly will be able to sometime "soon."
I thought windows had around 2% of smartphones.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
If you can control your Apple TV with your iphone, why not your Xbox with a windows phone? It just raises the question, how many people have a windows phone?

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
I do, but then I also have a Kinect. I'll just do it because I can. :) Like most things I do... o_O

frago roc

Aug 13, 2009
Windows phones are shitty. This is why:

No system-wide file manager
No Bluetooth file transfers
No USB mass storage mode
Limited third-party apps availability
No Flash or Silverlight support in the browser
Too dependent on Zune software for file management and syncing
No video calls
No custom ringtones
Music player lacks equalizer presets
No multitasking
No DivX/XviD video support (automatic transcoding provided by Zune software)
No sign of free Bing maps Navigation so far
No internet tethering support
Terribly restrictive pos.

ike42

Feb 25, 2009
I just wish I could do this with my android phone. I've been saying for a couple of years how I wish there was a universal remote app.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
I'd get it if it was available for Android phones. For Windows 7 phones only? Forget about it!

VGC USpartan VS

Feb 14, 2011
Marshall Honorof said:

However, as <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Susan+Arendt>Susan Arendt was quick to point out, a controller is a sophisticated piece of technology with a lot of unfamiliar buttons.
It's official.

Microsoft is trying to milk the casual market.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
I'd really rather they stop trying to push 260 onto the phones, lets face it, anyone who is into games is not really going to be interested in a gaming mobile, and anyone who likes games on their mobile isn't really going to care about Xbox Live.

I want an official live messenger app for my phone, and I really don't understand why A) nobody thought of it or B) If someone did think of it, why it's not been available since release.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I was interested in this article until I read that it's a feature exclusive to a phone that no one cares about. Post an article when they release it for the Android (since you know it'll never be on the iPhone).

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
If you can control your Apple TV with your iphone, why not your Xbox with a windows phone? It just raises the question, how many people have a windows phone?
One of my friends does. The other two, as well as myself have an iPhone. Everyone in my class at school has an iPhone except one, who is buying an iPhone 4S this weekend.

So of the 20 people I regularly mix with. 1 has a Windows phone and all the rest, an iPhone.

Vegetunks9000

Sep 20, 2011
VGC USpartan VS said:
Marshall Honorof said:

However, as <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Susan+Arendt>Susan Arendt was quick to point out, a controller is a sophisticated piece of technology with a lot of unfamiliar buttons.
It's official.

Microsoft is trying to milk the casual market.
As is any tech company. Its where the money is. They're not gonna say "no thanks, money is so 2010" are they.