No Fix Planned For PSP-3000 Screen Problems

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
No Fix Planned For PSP-3000 Screen Problems

Sony's new PSP model has screen issues, but software therapy just isn't in the stars.

It turns out the sexy and superior PSP-3000 may not be all that it's cracked up to be. Sure, it's got a "wider color gamut and anti-reflection technology," but those deliciously bright and sharp screens also have something else the handheld's predecessor doesn't: crappy, visible scan lines [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20767]. There's nothing like killing the mood with a bucket of ice water.

In response to growing user complaints, Sony acknowledged [http://www.pspfanboy.com/2008/10/21/psp-3000-scanlines-a-hardware-feature-no-fix-planned/2#comments] the hardware issue, but it doesn't sound like much, if anything, will be done to remedy the problem.

"On some occasions, scan lines may appear on scenes where brightness changes drastically, due to the hardware features of the new LCD device on PSP-3000," SCEA told PSP Fanboy this week. "Installed with this new LCD device, PSP-3000 offers more natural and vibrant colors on its screen, but the scan lines have come out to be more visible as a result of improving response time to alleviate the afterimages on PSP-3000."

The PSP-3000 officially launched earlier this month, featuring a number of minor changes to the second generation PSP. Most notably, the LCD was improved to include a broader color range, decreased reflectivity for outdoor use, a higher contrast ration, and a quicker pixel response time to eliminate the blurring and "ghosting" issues users experienced with the PSP-2000. The new model also features some button reconfiguration and a built-in microphone.

Unfortunately for PS-3000 owners experiencing the scan line issues, Sony's final comment doesn't bode well. "Since this is due to hardware specification, there are no plans for a system software update concerning this issue." Bet you're feeling glum about trading in your PSP-2000 now aren't you?

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Unfortunately that it Sonys main attitude. Sony cares nothing about their customers. All they care about are the suckers that bought the 2000 and 3000 and that they now have their money.

Harsh....yes I am being very harsh but it is also the truth. My first gen PSP is still working just fine. Glad that i did not upgrade it at all.

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
So those who've spent money on a brand new psp to find that it doesn't work right get no help, reimbursment, fix or anything - way to alienate and lose yout customers sony.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Fixing flawed hardware by introducing other, equally irritating flawed hardware? Genius I tells ye!

Who's taking bets on a PSP-3000-1 model being announced within a year, scan lines fixed but not trade-able for those who already purchased the 3000?

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Excuse me, but none of you seem to own a PSP-3000. I do. It's not as bad as it may sound. The overscan is in one game that I've seen, Disgaea, which I own. It's not that noticeable in that game unless you are playing in the dark. It's more like a shadow or a ghost than anything else. Every other game I own that I've tried wit the 3000 doesn't have this problem.

So, why should Sony issue a recall for a non-damaging minor defect that apparently affects only a few games and can be solved on the development end for future games? I'm "affected" by the defect, and even I don't want that. This is like the dusty PS3: a marginal issue blown into XBOX 360 proportions when it simply isn't a big deal.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
SaintWaldo post=7.74920.851094 said:
So, why should Sony issue a recall for a non-damaging minor defect that apparently affects only a few games and can be solved on the development end for future games?
Good publicity. Save money from less people calling to India. To feel good about themselves.

OverlordSteve

Jul 8, 2008
fix-the-spade post=7.74920.851080 said:
Who's taking bets on a PSP-3000-1 model being announced within a year, scan lines fixed but not trade-able for those who already purchased the 3000?
Me, for the cost of said PSP 3001.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Oy Gavolt, this week has definately not been one of Sony's better weeks.

We've got LBP delay, Muslim's critisizing them for the delay, the TOS stuff, the PSP-3000 screen stuff, who knows what the hell is going to happen next!?!?!?

Really, no matter what they do they're going to get shit from everyone. I remember I made a "Why all the hate for Sony?" and alot of people just said "Because they're shit".

Oh well, live and let live, eh?

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.74920.851963 said:
shatnershaman post=7.74920.851930 said:
So, why should Sony issue a recall for a non-damaging minor defect that apparently affects only a few games and can be solved on the development end for future games?
Good publicity. Save money from less people calling to India. To feel good about themselves.
People will work something Sony does into bad publicity no matter what they do. For an example of them doing something lightning fast to respond to a problem, and people saying its a PR disaster, look at the LBP recall. If they did try to fix this, we'd see gamers saying it wasn't that big a deal in the first place, and they now have to be without their PsP-3000 for ages.
Optional recall. Solves both problems.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
shatnershaman post=7.74920.852058 said:
Indigo_Dingo post=7.74920.851963 said:
shatnershaman post=7.74920.851930 said:
People will work something Sony does into bad publicity no matter what they do. For an example of them doing something lightning fast to respond to a problem, and people saying its a PR disaster, look at the LBP recall. If they did try to fix this, we'd see gamers saying it wasn't that big a deal in the first place, and they now have to be without their PsP-3000 for ages.
Optional recall. Solves both problems.
Wasn't the LBP recall "optional"? Or am I missing something here?