Team Fortress 2 Runs Surprisingly Well In A Browser

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Team Fortress 2 Runs Surprisingly Well In A Browser

Browser-based gaming is the wave of the future, and Valve's beloved multiplayer shooter looks entirely capable of making the leap.

If you've been living in a cave this past week, you may have missed word that Epic Games recently demonstrated its high-tech Unreal Engine 3 running entirely in Flash [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.316647-Unreal-Engine-3-Comes-to-Flash]. Unreal Engine 3 is the technology that powers Gears of War 3 while Flash is the technology that powers that stupid "Punch The Monkey" ad from 2005. You can imagine why this might be impressive.

Never one to be left out in the cold, Valve Software's Team Fortress 2 has likewise been ported to an unexpectedly underpowered platform. Well, sort of.

Geek.com explains:

... a level from Team Fortress 2 has been ported to WebGL and runs without plug-ins in a browser.

The port of the level has been carried out by Motorola Mobility software developer Brandon Jones. The level in question is 2Fort, and although it's not perfect yet, the important thing is he has the Source Engine running at a smooth 60fps. In some cases it's up over 100fps, which means additional effects and detail aren't going to impact the speed to the point where it becomes sluggish or unplayable.

Key features that are missing include normal mapping on brush surfaces, water, accurate lighting, surface displacement, and a 3D skybox. But seeing as he's just experimenting and playing with other people's code, you can't help but be impressed with the results so far.

That video embedded above demonstrates the level in action, and as you can see, it's bewilderingly smooth. Statistically speaking, that browser runs Team Fortress 2 better than most of the computers currently playing the title.

The key difference between this and the Unreal Engine news is that this project is not officially sanctioned by Valve Software. Thus, don't get your hopes up for a Firefox iteration of Team Fortress 2 any time soon.

That said, it does serve as a very interesting proof of concept. Valve has always made an effort to expose their game to the widest possible audience, and this video, if nothing else, offers evidence that a vast new market segment is there for the taking.

Alternately, it signals an imminent collapse of the world economy. The choice between hunting spies inside a Chrome window and finishing your daily TPS reports isn't much of a choice at all.

Source: Geek.com [http://www.geek.com/articles/games/watch-team-fortress-2-running-in-a-web-browser-2011107/]

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Statistically speaking, that browser runs Team Fortress 2 better than most of the computers currently playing the title.
I don't understand...my laptop is like seven years old and it plays TF2 just fine.

What do you have to be playing TF2 on to have problems with it? A toaster?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I think it's important to note that WebGL has absolutely nothing to do with flash. It's part of the HTLM5 and I believe is an extension of javascript.

You could run it without flash installed.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Hmm, all those features that were listed as not supported are features Valve's older engine, GoldSrc, didn't have. So in theory the original Half-Life and Team Fortress Classic would run perfectly under this system. That's still progress! Last game I heard of being ported to HTML 5 was the original Quake.

AC10 said:
I think it's important to note that WebGL has absolutely nothing to do with flash. It's part of the HTLM5 and I believe is an extension of javascript.

That's why this is so impressive. You don't even need to have a buggy, bloated plugin to make this work.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Statistically speaking, that browser runs Team Fortress 2 better than most of the computers currently playing the title.
I don't understand...my laptop is like seven years old and it plays TF2 just fine.

My desktop won't run it, it crashes whenever anything explodes or anyone fires, and it's extremely laggy even before that happens. I'm pretty sure my "Intel Q35 Express Chipset Family" is responsible for that...

OT: Looks kinda neat, but I don't really see how it would be any more useful than running it normally. The map has to be loaded from somewhere, so I assume the game still has to be installed on the computer. What's helpful about running it through a browser? :S

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
That is one terrible demo, if you are trying to show off your engine then use something that works well.

I'm glad WebGL is taking off, flash really needs a replacement soon.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
lunncal said:
OT: Looks kinda neat, but I don't really see how it would be any more useful than running it normally. The map has to be loaded from somewhere, so I assume the game still has to be installed on the computer. What's helpful about running it through a browser? :S
Ah but that's exactly the point of this, you need nothing but a browser, go to a website all resources download and bam you are playing a game.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Mr.K. said:
lunncal said:
Ah but that's exactly the point of this, you need nothing but a browser, go to a website all resources download and bam you are playing a game.
But the downloading and installing of resources is exactly what's inconvenient about playing non-browser based games, and this way you'd presumably have to download the entire game (or at least the map you're currently on) every time you wanted to play it. The only way I can see to stop that is if you installed the game onto your hard-drive anyway, in which case what's the point?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
lunncal said:
But the downloading and installing of resources is exactly what's inconvenient about playing non-browser based games, and this way you'd presumably have to download the entire game (or at least the map you're currently on) every time you wanted to play it. The only way I can see to stop that is if you installed the game onto your hard-drive anyway, in which case what's the point?
It works no different from a website, things download and play on the fly, and the resources also go to your browser temp folder so it doesn't haveto redownload every time, and should you run out of space it manages itself.

The main point is to play 10 different games you don't need 10 full installations, only one browser and RAM for one level at a time.

RThaiRThai

Jan 13, 2010
AC10 said:

Actually, it's the other way around. It's an extension of JavaScript, and you believe it's part of HTML5. The term HTML5 is used pretty loosely anyway, but I misread your comment originally and now I'm already logged in I have to write something.

lunncal said:
Mr.K. said:
lunncal said:
And then Mr.K. made one more reply, but I think you're both forgetting something. I can play it without installation from a browser, which to me means 2 things.
1) I can play it even from a computer where I do not have installation privilages, like a school computer.
2) I can play it from any device supporting HTML5 and WebGL. I don't need to wait for Valve to port the game to Linux; I just need a modern browser. If I get a smartphone with a modern browser and WebGL, I can play this game (the controls could be a problem, but I might even be able to work around that with some JavaScript hacks and no assistance from Valve).

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Kopikatsu said:

An intel GMA chipset. Like the one in my laptop.

It can't handle the source engine...

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
TheSniperFan said:
idodo35 said:
what is the point of this?
Possibilities....
I don't see myself playing TF2 in a browser, but imagine what other, useful, things could be done with it...
Let's just hope there won't be "next-gen-internet-ads"...that would be horrible, as they're already too annoying... :(
still cant see the point... i mean who would want to play TF2 on a buggy slow browser rather then the real deal? spacialy now that its free? just seems pointless...

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
lunncal said:
Kopikatsu said:

My desktop won't run it, it crashes whenever anything explodes
My brain read that line "My desktop won't run it, it explodes" o_O