Large Hadron Collider: There's an App for That

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Large Hadron Collider: There's an App for That

The Large Hadron Collider probably wouldn't fit in your pocket, but this handy educational app will.

The wiping out humanity [http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/LHC/LHC-en.html], but in science, you take the good with the bad. Now, the scientists at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) want to share the LHC's accomplishments with the world. LHSee, a new Android app allows users to watch and interact with real proton collisions, hunt for theoretical particles, and learn how the LHC works, one incredibly-complicated piece at a time.

Christopher Boddy, from the Oxford Department of Physics, worked with a team of scientists to create the app, which is available free of charge in the Android Market. The app is fairly bare-bones in terms of presentation, but the amount of content is through the roof. LHSee provides videos from CERN, an animated step-by-step walkthrough of how the LHC works, and 3D simulations of real collisions. There's even a game called Hunt the Higgs Boson (the yet-to-be-observed particle that ties together theoretical physics), although it consists entirely of identifying subatomic phenomena observed by the LHC. If you want to play, you'd better know your muons from your neutrinos.

The public understanding of science is crucial to expanding our understanding of the universe. It's good to see CERN sharing its information so readily - even if few people who use the app will really understand everything that it presents. LHSee has full support for English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Swedish, so Americans and Europeans should give it a try. Gamers have already folded proteins [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113139-PC-Gamers-Help-Combat-AIDS-Like-Virus] where traditional methods failed - could finding the Higgs boson particle be next?

Source: Science & Technology Facilities Council [http://www.stfc.ac.uk/News%20and%20Events/37666.aspx]

(Thanks to The_root_of_all_evil.)

Sep 14, 2009
ah dammit..just one more reason for me to get that new android bionic.

*stares at crappy flip phone*

just a few more months,then all the collider information will be at the tip of my fingers..

(odd notice, "collider" isn't a word? huh.)

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I can haz on my iPhone? :<
This app looks positively splendid!
Gamers have found planets with games, is the Higgs-Boson particle next?!
/excited

Ishnuvalok

Jul 14, 2008
The last sentence is misleading, this application doesn't work like the planet-finder or interacting galaxies games.
It's an educational application that allows you to view the events. The "hunt for the higgs boson" game is just a way to train you to identify different types of collisions.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Now it's your turn, NASA. Time for that Mars Rover remote control app!
Maybe users will find traces of water? Life? A way to make the billion dollar rover drift like a *****?

Ishnuvalok

Jul 14, 2008
Quaxar said:
Maybe users will find traces of water? Life? A way to make the billion dollar rover drift like a *****?
They already found water on mars.....

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Quaxar said:
A way to make the billion dollar rover drift like a *****?
Bitches Drift? :')

OT: Cool...now if only this App was available on Ipod's >.>

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Ishnuvalok said:
Quaxar said:
They already found water on mars.....
Weeell, I obviously needed three points to make a proper pun. I'm writing off any scientific inaccuracies as freedom of jokes.
Mars Rover probably can't drift either (which is a shame, I'd pay a lot of money to drive the first racecar on another planet).

arc1991 said:
Quaxar said:
A way to make the billion dollar rover drift like a *****?
Bitches Drift? :')
Bitches drift bitchingly in fact.