Band Turns Guitar Hero Controllers Into "Instruments"

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Band Turns Guitar Hero Controllers Into "Instruments"

California-based electronic noise rockers The Guitar Zeros take fake plastic instruments to a whole different level of weirdness.

When unabashed creativity and gaming pop culture collide, amazingly bizarre things can happen. It's quite surreal to see an actual band making original music in a live setting with a drum set, a microphone, a stack of amps, a laptop, and two Guitar Hero controllers. That's exactly what The Guitar Zeroes [http://www.theguitarzeros.com/music.php] are all about.

The band has programmed its own software that turns Guitar Hero controllers into playable instruments. Though there are only five colored buttons on the controllers, they can be pressed in 32 different configurations, allowing for a broad range of scales and sounds. Plugging the re-tooled controllers into distortion pedals and other effects units also amplifies their rocking capabilities.

For the technically minded, the band has even posted a comprehensive guide detailing the meticulous process required to turn your own Guitar Hero controllers into "music instruments." Granted, the sounds these devices produce under your novice tutelage are likely to fall under the excruciating category, unless you dig your electronic rock-n-roll in the jagged vein of wild and wooly squawks and bleeps. It's cool nonetheless.

If you have the aural constitution, check out The Guitar Zeros' tunes at their myspace [http://www.myspace.com/theguitarzeros] page.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
That's actually really cool. Really nerdy, but really cool nonetheless.

I like Guy in back of picture who's smiling in an almost bemused way at Chubby guy with glasses's pose.

Ronmarru

Aug 17, 2008
I'm not sure if this is cool or depressing. Also, as Amnestic points out, did you notice how the 2 guys in the back are watching the 2 guys in the front rocking out?

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Amnestic post=7.74960.851634 said:

I like Guy in back of picture who's smiling in an almost bemused way at Chubby guy with glasses's pose.
Yeah, but the chubby guys just begging for something to be photo shopped into his hands, probably a big gun.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Huh. Their music wasn't terrible, but definitely not something I'd listen to again.

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
Hey Nathan, I didn't know you were in a band.

Anyway, it's cool that they've gotten some guitar hero controllers it play music. Probably isn't great though.

Edit: Got it to load properly. It's actually not too bad, but it's not something I'd buy.

Asymptote Angel

Feb 6, 2008
I haven't listened to their stuff, but this is a pretty cool idea. I'm actually surprised it's taken this long for someone to try this.

LivemeLifefree

Mar 27, 2008
Thunderhorse post=7.74960.853370 said:
Too bad the music totally sucks.
It wasn't that bad... The drums sounded nice and the singer wasn't too bad. I wonder if they're going to submit their songs to Rockband or Guitar Hero:World Tour? Then they can say the notes don't or do match up.

Riicek

Oct 24, 2008
needausername post=7.74960.851899 said:
Yeah, but the chubby guys just begging for something to be photo shopped into his hands, probably a big gun.
I was thinking an enormous sub sandwich.

This probably won't do much to curb the attitudes of the "OMGZ LEARN TO PLAY GIUTAAR!!11!!1" morons that write half the YouTube comments and such ;)

glambo

Oct 9, 2008
needausername post=7.74960.851899 said:
Amnestic post=7.74960.851634 said:

chubby guy needs a box of donuts or a sub like someone else said, lol

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
LivemeLifefree post=7.74960.854060 said:
Thunderhorse post=7.74960.853370 said:
Too bad the music totally sucks.
It wasn't that bad... The drums sounded nice and the singer wasn't too bad. I wonder if they're going to submit their songs to Rockband or Guitar Hero:World Tour? Then they can say the notes don't or do match up.
If you say so...