Watch A Rocket Top 120,000 Feet

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Watch A Rocket Top 120,000 Feet

In his quest to claim the $10,000 Carmack Prize, Derek Deville launched a rocket 121,000 feet into the air. The resulting footage is simply awesome.

"Carmack Prize?" I hear you asking. "Is that somehow related to id Software co-founder John Carmack?"

Why yes, how perceptive of you! Mr. Carmack has long been known for two things. First, for creating the finest in gaming graphics engines, and second, for launching phallic objects into Earth's atmosphere. The man loves rockets, is what I'm saying here.

Thus, Carmack created his titular prize, hoping that some amateur rocket fanatic might actually manage to break the 100,000 feet mark. The first person to do so will walk away with a cool 10 grand.

Hoping to take home the cash, Derek Deville built a nearly 14-foot long, 320 pound rocket and shot that em-effer toward the inky void with cameras rolling the whole time. The good news is that Deville's rocket (fittingly dubbed "Qu8k") managed to make it up to 121,000 feet. The bad news is that despite multiple GPS sensors, the would-be prize winner was unable to acquire an altitude lock beyond the 100,000 feet mark. As that's a requirement for the prize, Deville technically failed.

Presumably he'll be back to take another shot at Carmack's cash, hopefully with a rocket named "Cac0demon."

In the meantime, we've got 17 minutes of footage from the Qu8k launch, including set up, the launch itself and the thrilling flight.

Though, fair warning, those of you with weak stomachs might want to avoid the 7-minute freefall towards the latter part of the video. Dropping to terra firma from that kind of altitude is something man was never meant to experience, and our sensitive mammal guts have a tendency to respond poorly that sort of dizzying imagery.

You've been warned.

Source: Kotaku [http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/10/glorious-121000-amateur-rocket-flight.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+makezineonline+%28MAKE%29&utm_content=Google+Reader]

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
The terrifying part is the screaming when the first camera reaches the top...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Tharwen said:
The terrifying part
I found the fact that it flew so fast parts of it melted during the ascent quite impressive.

The descent is weird though, from so high up the perception of the ground changes, it doesn't seem to get any closer until the last minute or so of the flight. Which is a bit creepy.

~PS: Did the descent remind anyone else of Colony wars: Vengeance?

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
That is so cool, I'd like to be strapped on Major Kong style.

what was that thing flying out at 1:51?

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
Awesome!!! I Just got into rocketry this weekend just passed, now I know where to go with it... My current rocket goes 1125 feet up in about 1.5 seconds according to the instructions, Now I just have to attach heaps of these together and get myself an easy $10,000 /jks

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
What definition of "Altitude Lock" does the prize need? I think that horizon line at the top footage should be more than enough proof that it exceeded the required altitude.