Dungeon Defenders Gets a Dose Of Portal And Team Fortress 2

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Dungeon Defenders Gets a Dose Of Portal And Team Fortress 2

Can't decide which platform you want Dungeon Defenders for? The Steam version comes with a portal gun and tiny Team Fortress 2 fairies. There's that problem solved.

Trendy Entertainment's upcoming adaptation of their popular iOS, tower-defence-action-RPG-thingamy ,Dungeon Defenders, is coming to XBLA, PSN and PC this month, and Valve is making the Steam version [http://store.steampowered.com/app/65800/] stand out in typical fashion.

First off: the ubiquitous "Handheld Portal Device" is available for Dungeon Defender's Huntress class, and it does exactly what you'd expect. The huntress can place portals anywhere on the map, allowing her to funnel enemies into traps or, in true Portal style, send them careering into the abyss. A case of "Speedy soon-to-be-dead thing goes in, speedy soon-to-be-dead thing comes out," if you will. In the Dungeon Defenders universe, however, the gun is powered by magic instead of science, and thus requires the huntress to channel all of her mana into keeping the portals open.

The Team Fortress 2 characters appear as tiny, mildly adorable, fairies that float around the player dispensing death and/or healing effects. The Heavy, Pyro, Medic and Engineer make an appearance. The first two are intent on murder, while the latter heal players and buildings respectively. Judging by the video above, the Heavy's notorious minigun seems to have taken a rate of fire hit, but on the bright side that will presumably save him some money. [http://youtu.be/mY5qJHZCz2I?t=25s]

Dungeon Defenders arrives on Xbox Live Arcade, PSN and PC on the 19th of October.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I've never heard of this game but if it is endorsed by two of my favourite games then I think I'll definitely be looking into it!

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Heh, now those are some pretty neat DLC items. The game itself looks like Orcs must die! with co-op. So it looks like a lot of fun.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Already got the Steam Version preordered. I got the 4 pack and made enough trading to get a copy of Serious Sam 3 BFE Serious Edition as well. :p And I even got another copy from someone else! Good times! It looks fun though. Now to figure out how to get Orcs Must Die by trading...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
That's a rather neat way of getting people into a game.
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Entire Team Is FAIRIES!
I laughed quite a bit at that.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
They have only had this on steam for.....a year now lol. Already preordered and I cannot's wait.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This game has no right to look as fun as it does. It looks magical. I'm absolutely fascinated by the design. It reminds me of my childhood.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
That's a really cool bonus, and a portal gun fits into the tower defense genre well. I wish I enjoyed the genre more, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Am I the only person that thinks the mod makes the game look ugly. I really dont like portal gun in a tower defense game and the TF2 stuff just doesn't look that great

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Is that how Valve sells things.... You making a game for Steam...well how about you add in a Portal Gun...if you werent aware we made... Portal 2....it sold pretty damn well...how about you put some advertising and reminder for us... ;)

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Skizle said:
Am I the only person that thinks the mod makes the game look ugly. I really dont like portal gun in a tower defense game and the TF2 stuff just doesn't look that great
Yes it does. You are merely blinded by its majesty.

[hr]

OT: What a fun little addition. I'll keep my eye on this, seeing as how they claim they are making an OSX version. More games for my Macbook makes me a happy camper. It looks like fun.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Lt. Vinciti said:
Is that how Valve sells things.... You making a game for Steam...well how about you add in a Portal Gun...if you werent aware we made... Portal 2....it sold pretty damn well...how about you put some advertising and reminder for us... ;)
No, Valve is supporting the game, as well as trying to get people to buy it for the exclusive DLC.

A portal gun and fairy team? Valve, you win my money yet again.

upgray3dd

Jan 6, 2011
Wait, wasn't this game supposed to come out a year ago? It kind of fell off my radar, I'm glad it's still around

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Is Valve running out of ideas that isn't mildly TF2 related? Seriously every pre-order bonus seems to have that game in there somewhere, first hats and now fairies.
I thought Valve was supposed to be full of creation and awesome, all I'm seeing here is shoe horning.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Lt. Vinciti said:
Seeing Valve neither developed or publishes this game this complaint is kinda stupid. This isn't how Valve sells things. This is how valve helps small developers succeed. Evil Valve for bringing light to indie titles...