Leaked Skyrim Manual Reveals "Hirelings"

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Leaked Skyrim Manual Reveals "Hirelings"

The Elder Scrolls: Now with more sword slaves, bullying and cooking pots!

Poor Skyrim can't seem to go a week without something leaking. Recently, we've gotten an early look at both the world map. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113445-Skyrim-Achievements-Join-the-Leak-Parade] Now, someone has photographed what appears to be the final retail manual for the Xbox 360 version of the game. Many of the pages show nothing that's going to surprise you--control schemes, leveling information, epilepsy warnings, etc.--but some sections do outline some nifty new mechanics. Don't worry, no plot or story spoilers ahead.

[gallery=503]

According to the book, Skyrim will employ a companion system, allowing players to hire NPCs called "hirelings" from local taverns to accompany them into the fray. Hirelings will be unique, each specializing in one or more of the various skills of the land to help you on your quest. Once hired, you'll be able to issue orders to your new minion, including asking them to wait, attack an enemy, perform an action, open things, and pick up items.

Because hirelings have the ability to take items from containers (defined in the manual as anything from chests to dead bodies), it seems possible that they'll also be able to help you with inventory management, which, in games like this, can quickly become a major concern for even the least materialistic of players. And yes, even the manual confirms it, the Elder Scrolls' dreaded "encumbrance" is back in full effect for those of you who just can't leave that second Daedric Claymore behind.

Any foodies out there will be pleased to see that the book has also outlined a new ability to cook (BAM!) using special "cooking pots" found in various shops around town. According to the manual, "Cooking pots allow you to prepare food items that provide various temporary effects. Each recipe requires specific culinary ingredients that can be found throughout Skyrim." Cooking is the latest of many confirmed skills available in the game, including farming, mining, woodcutting, and blacksmithing.

A new dialog option, "brawling," has also been revealed alongside persuasion, intimidation, and bribery. Not much is said beyond the name, but I think its safe to assume that if the old palm grease technique falls flat, you'll be able to punch that uppity khajiit merchant in the snout.

If someone sees you lay that cat out, or perform any other crime, they'll be able to report you to the town guards a la Oblivion (unless you kill all of the witnesses first), at which point a bounty will be placed on your head commensurate with the extent of your misdeed. Once the fuzz is onto you, you'll need to pay the fine, fight until you drop, or do your time, losing skill progress in the process.

The manual covers some more ground, such as the way Dragon Shouts will work and how to shoot a bow, but mostly things we've already been told or have seen in the here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/4169-The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Demo-Part-1] and get started on your finger exercises early.

Source: Eurogamer [www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-11-leaked-skyrim-manual-confirms-hirelings]

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Am i the only one that is curious about the last picture with the "Dumb blonde Joke"?...

Cuz i really wanted to know what it was... oh yeah the manual is pretty good i guess... generic stuff you will see in the game, but it's a nice way to know what's coming before it comes out...

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
A new dialog option, "brawling," has also been revealed alongside persuasion, intimidation, and bribery. Not much is said beyond the name, but I think its safe to assume that if the old palm grease technique falls flat, you'll be able to punch that uppity khajiit merchant in the snout.
Brawling has been confirmed to be a way to fight i na tavern without being arrested.

OT: I just want to know what the dumb blond joke was.

Inner Pickle

Nov 8, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
According to the book, Skyrim will employ a companion system, allowing players to either join their live friends in exchange for gifts...

What does it mean by 'live friends'? I thought Multiplayer was a massive no or am I being stupid and indeed optimistic?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Inner Pickle said:
Mike Kayatta said:
According to the book, Skyrim will employ a companion system, allowing players to either join their live friends in exchange for gifts...

What does it mean by 'live friends'? I thought Multiplayer was a massive no or am I being stupid and indeed optimistic?
I think it was a misinterpretation. If you actually read the page in the picture it doesn't imply "live" anywhere on it.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Fappy said:
Inner Pickle said:
Mike Kayatta said:

I think it was a misinterpretation. If you actually read the page in the picture it doesn't imply "live" anywhere on it.
It was; I cleaned it out of the article. There is no coop or multiplayer in Skyrim.

Inner Pickle

Nov 8, 2010
Fappy said:
Inner Pickle said:
Mike Kayatta said:

I did wonder. Couldn't find source from the pictures shown, so I thought I'd bring it up. (I could be missing it, my eyes aren't what they used to be). Ah, well. After the Dark Souls co-op fiasco I'm left rather craving a co-op dungeon crawler for consoles. Changes nothing however, it can still shup up and take my money.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
These hirelings, I hope most of them are naked females with tantos and Dragon shouts of their own that give pleasurable results!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Mike Kayatta said:
Fappy said:
Inner Pickle said:
Mike Kayatta said:

It was; I cleaned it out of the article. There is no coop or multiplayer in Skyrim.
We have enough of that multiplayer nonsense in ME3 now D:

(Secretly hoping the co-op is actually good)

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
TitanAtlas said:
Am i the only one that is curious about the last picture with the "Dumb blonde Joke"?...
That's exactly what I thought. I reckon anyone with enough patience can probably find the comic strip online and put you out of your misery! (not that you're in misery...)

Is this deliberate leaking or is this someone going to get into a load of trouble?

I remember what happened to an intern who leaked the line up to a major festival once. She never got hired by any other company in the industry. It was like total black list

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
ViciousTide said:
These hirelings, I hope most of them are naked females with tantos and Dragon shouts of their own that give pleasurable results!
Likely a mod for that...

I read something somewhere that confirmed companions already, though I'm wondering whether they are more conventional mercs or actual characters like in Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Ragsnstitches said:
ViciousTide said:
Likely a mod for that...

I read something somewhere that confirmed companions already, though I'm wondering whether they are more conventional mercs or actual characters like in Fallout 3 or New Vegas.
Companions have indeed already been confirmed. Not only can you hire them to fight, you can marry them and move in with them as well.

gewata

Mar 21, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
Ragsnstitches said:
ViciousTide said:
Likely a mod for that...

Companions have indeed already been confirmed. Not only can you hire them to fight, you can marry them and move in with them as well.
And indeed, somewhere, someone (or someones, this is the internet) are planning their Khajiit-Argonian-Orc homosexual 3-way marriage.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I don't know if you'd call be mean or bleeding-heart but:

If you are going to have slaves in your game, then actually call them slaves!

I won't stand for any of these "hireling" euphemisms. The worst crimes in history have been dressed up with such euphemisms, they are far deadlier than swear words like the N-word. Euphemisms like "The Final Solution".

Risky as fuck, but if you played it right and used hirelings as a commentary on the evils of slavery then I think that just might work.

EDIT: (My main concern is with the Diablo depiction of hirings where you "acquire" their services for their whole life for a sum far less than they amount of loot you expect them to harvest for you. If they were free men surely they would just get the loot themselves... that's why I think they are slaves.

Truly, hirelings should be either far more limited (only carry shit) or cost car more or work on an agreement of loot sharing not flat price/rate.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
Mike Kayatta said:
Cooking is the latest of many confirmed skills available in the game, including farming, mining, woodcutting, and blacksmithing.
Cooking isn't a skill (in the game), but goes under the alchemy skill, neither is mining, farming, or woodcutting, only blacksmithing is a skill, which is just called smithing. Woodcutting and farming, are only jobs, not that you probably can't get materials for yourself by performing them.

EDIT: Anyways, these are things you can still do, they just don't level up and have skill trees.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Treblaine said:
Risky as fuck, but if you played it right and used hirelings as a commentary on the evils of slavery then I think that just might work.
Except you're just hiring a mercenary, not exactly slavery when you pay them in order for them to come with you of their own volition.. Kind of the opposite actually.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Treblaine said:

I won't stand for any of these "hireling" euphemisms. The worst crimes in history have been dressed up with such euphemisms, they are far deadlier than swear words like the N-word. Euphemisms like "The Final Solution".

*facepalm*

Way to jump the gun. Didn't you read the article? You're hiring people from places like taverns, not buying slaves. If anything, a more appropriate term would be "mercenaries."

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Treblaine said:

Did someone watch a certain program with Stephen Fry yesterday?

OT: I need to catch up on Skyrim, now that I finally own a platform that I can play it on!

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Kimarous said:
Treblaine said:

*facepalm*

Way to jump the gun. Didn't you read the article? You're hiring people from places like taverns, not buying slaves. If anything, a more appropriate term would be "mercenaries."
I don't know, if they're anything like Diablo hirelings: those are slaves, man.

Seriously, the amount you pay them for the amount of shit you put them through, it's clear the money went to their owner and you have some power over them to be their master.

I don't know if it was intentional or not. But that's the way it came across

See following someone into HELL ITSELF and they don't get a cut of your loot? I mean was that part of the agreement for the small sum of money they were "hired" for? So the deal has been altered, will it be altered any further?

As a mercenary/patsy mechanic it failed, because no mercenary would work for such measly sums compare to the amount of gold and loot they have to carry. Really it should have been a partnership with agreement to share conquests OR do the other way and have an actual slave and leave the moral decision with the player on what is the right thing to do.

Mercenaries are one job, entities, or they are paid a steady rate of something so valuable they couldn't just find on their conquest with you... also they are free to leave any time they please, like when they want to spend some of their money in a Brothel.

sshakespeare

Jul 5, 2010
Why can you only use shields on your left hand:

When i saw the two hand wield option thingamabob I was hoping that I could finally have a left handed character in a game again, the last time I remember having an option to play as a lefty was the first Unreal Tournament